Page 194 of 337 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    It's all gone quiet? I'm up to stuff but won't be posting until I get some real results worth displaying here. I'm trying to tidy up some unfinished projects. Anyone else care to show off some foundry stuff?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    It's all gone quiet? I'm up to stuff but won't be posting until I get some real results worth displaying here. I'm trying to tidy up some unfinished projects. Anyone else care to show off some foundry stuff?
    I would like to, I haven't yet got much to offer but I hope to get some basic stuff done before (long before) the bad weather sets in. Michael Moore seems to have been busy machining and fitting all the heads etc which he cast last year, Ken in Aus is busy with his "slider" project, and all those European guys who started off well, seem to have disappeared! - guess I'll just have to kick myself into life and come up with something which works!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    No, I have been busy making some brake levers and stay arms for a friend's 210mm Fontana 4LS brake. Jeff's got my head patterns to make the mold boxes for them. But our race season starts in a couple of months so if he wants a head for his F37 Kawasaki he'll need to get cracking! That presumes the heads will cast successfully.

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Well not really anything to do with engines, but we had to do some lead casting. No moulds, but had to fill the six pockets in these counterweight wheels. These were plasma cut from 90 mm steel and had an outside radius of 300. The bare item weighed around 60 kg and each lead filled pocket weighed around 9 kg.
    Someone had previously done them, but in one instance, they must have cast one pocket in 2 stages. The lead seems to immediately form an oxide skin. Presumably the second stage it didn’t stick and this came loose and was thrown out. No-one was happy.
    So we filled in one continuous process, not using a ladle
    We played an LPG flame over the top surface to ensure a molten pool was always present to feed the shrinkage. Even so, we also had to create a dam around the pocket to create an extra thickness to ensure a complete fill after being machined flat.
    Pouring temp around 420 C. Had some reasonably interesting moments getting it sorted though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0826.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	328649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0824.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	465.4 KB 
ID:	328648

Bike
    Exercycle
    Nice, did you preheat the steel complete or just preheat one and let the poured lead warm the next ?

Back in the day that would probably have been finished by hand with a small adze and scraper. I've faired lead keels like that when no power tools were available...

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    [QUOTE=ken seeber;1131030851]Well not really anything to do with engines, but we had to do some lead casting. No moulds,QUOTE]

Ken, I thought for a moment you were building a "super slider"
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Greg, we preheated one end first to around 80 to ensure no moisture was present. We filled this and when frozen we progressed to the next cavity, this being well warmed from both the lead and the post pouring flame.

Will, nah, can't really see many/any areas for lead in a bike/engine other than battery terminals and wheel balance weights.

Over here in central Sydney for family get together stuff. No foundries, TIGs. mills, lathes and now, the fingernails are clean. Few bikes around, one dude had an interesting bike, an RZ400 in a TZ250 frame, smoked nicely and sounded sweet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0972.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	433.6 KB 
ID:	328663

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That just makes me want to ride it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Dangerous, a clear pattern bench.
    What were we looking at? Next project, a twin rotary valve bottom end? Patterns on the bench at the momemt are a three gear reduction drive to suit V8 , 600HP aviation use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170302_123638.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	586.7 KB 
ID:	328985  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yes it does look a little forlorn but at least it's going to see some action again - we all know that development work never pays the bills till it produces something which can be sold, but I imagine the experimental stuff could soak up time and money, if not kept in control!

My play bench is still packed full of crap and is producing nothing, but hopefully things will be in motion soon seeing it's moved into Autumn already - more rain coming I'm told.
    I modified the burner on my furnace and all seems well, it doesn't look very good (but performance is more important than looks to me) - I will make a new tidier one when I've got it all sussed and have done a melt - I'm a great fan of trial and error and not looking for perfection - just enough to do a good job!
    I now need to brush up on the pattern/moulding technique (again) and need to get the safety thing right as I may be working on my own the odd time!

What were we looking at? Next project, a twin rotary valve bottom end?
    D'y reckon it's time to move away from crankcase pumping altogether??
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    D'y reckon it's time to move away from crankcase pumping altogether??
    Let me call it sub-piston pumping. And then I'd say it is the simplest starting provision you can have on a two-stroke engine. Once it's running, well......

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Let me call it sub-piston pumping. And then I'd say it is the simplest starting provision you can have on a two-stroke engine. Once it's running, well......
    Yes I guess you could call it that, just so long as the crankcase itself isn't involved and forgetting (in the meantime) going "oilless" which could easily become a priority, it could hold up a lot of other good development - I feel that might just be a "bridge too far"!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    What were we looking at? Next project, a twin rotary valve bottom end? Patterns on the bench at the momemt are a three gear reduction drive to suit V8 , 600HP aviation use.
    Or a single crank V4 500cc 2 stroke for the masses.
    Something like a GSXR750/1000 gearbox
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/a...1&d=1438074377
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    a shed full of crazy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Or a single crank V4 500cc 2 stroke for the masses.
    Something like a GSXR750/1000 gearbox
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/a...1&d=1438074377
    Yes please...
    I've got two complete 1KT engines screaming to be joined together....

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Yes please...
    I've got two complete 1KT engines screaming to be joined together....
    Although they do have pretty decent size reeds they are a little underdone in the stroke.
    If you have to add yamaha bits I think they need to have separate crankpins. So I was thinking 2 RD250 AC cranks.
    What say you Flettner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information