Page 218 of 337 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268318 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Careful Willy, this just might mean another thread (eg Additive Manufacturing) that we have to follow.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Careful Willy, this just might mean another thread (eg Additive Manufacturing) that we have to follow.
    Yes Ken,
    That's the trouble I already had a rap on the knuckles - Not sure, I think it may have been addressed to me, (amongst others) suggesting that certain people were not welcome if they were not actually involved with bucket racing, but then he refused to discuss it further!

So therefore if it was left up to me I guess I would be all on for another thread on that! (ie if it did somehow relate to bikes) and it probably would, but it is also closely related to foundry work of course so it'll still fit here!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Probably was but I think he used that joke a few times on constituents
    this whole LUCF/ryger thing reminds me of

mixed in with Bellbooths Maxicrop.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxicrop
    https://teara.govt.nz/mi/video/15856/maxicrop-case
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    Husa, is that 3d printed or is it from a flexible core molds?
    Neil
    You lost me neil?
    If you mean the cylinder of mine that Flettner showed it was constructed in the traditional manner but italian artisans with multiple hot/cold and co2 set parts glues together.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Bugger, it all just got too hard around the cylinder attachment, back to the manual pattern making bench.
    I've moved the center line of the cases so the two middle cylinder 6mm capscrews don't go through the part line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_210628.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	413.3 KB 
ID:	331898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_210649.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	331899  

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I've moved the center line of the cases so the two middle cylinder 6mm capscrews don't go through the part line.
    Does that mean that you're only going to use cylinders with lateral exhaust ports from now on?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz sleeve valve 55.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	331908 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz sleeve valve 31.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	331907

What made you decide to switch from horizontally to vertically split cases Neil? The epicyclic ring weel?

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Fletto,
    Could you just index the cylinder round by 30 degrees and not have to worry about the screws on the split line?
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    Looks like Neil is getting the most made with the least amount of casting while at the same time optimising his NC capabilities and getting the most done at a time. That is my take on it anyway. I like what he is doing.
    Ken, It may not be quite that simple to change the lugs on the already cast units he may already have, is my guess.
    Neil
    PS well done Mr Hintz, and thanks for sharing the fruits of your labour's and some of your special techniques.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Does that mean that you're only going to use cylinders with lateral exhaust ports from now on?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz sleeve valve 55.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	331908 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz sleeve valve 31.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	331907

What made you decide to switch from horizontally to vertically split cases Neil? The epicyclic ring weel?
    No, I have several cylinders with exhaust straight out the back, rear lug just doesn't get a bolt in it. Four side lugs might go to 8mm. I intend to use different screw in fillers inside the crank case (in the pattern) for different cylinder requirements.

This set of reed cases is all well and good but I made a bad choice in using a YZ gearbox. Just too hard to find spare units. The one spare gearbox I do have is in the sleeve engine and I'm not ready to pull that engine apart just yet.

Yes the reed cases were never very well designed to accept the epicylic crank. Plus putting the epicylic aside I just like to have a nice set of RV cases for a small engine that will fit in my YZ 250F frame.

I'm using initially two types of cylinder on these RV case. One an FOS like Ken's the second a more normal cylinder but also sliding. I want to totally throttle the engine by the cylinder height.

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    No, I have several cylinders with exhaust straight out the back, rear lug just doesn't get a bolt in it. Four side lugs might go to 8mm. I intend to use different screw in fillers inside the crank case (in the pattern) for different cylinder requirements.

This set of reed cases is all well and good but I made a bad choice in using a YZ gearbox. Just too hard to find spare units. The one spare gearbox I do have is in the sleeve engine and I'm not ready to pull that engine apart just yet.

Yes the reed cases were never very well designed to accept the epicylic crank. Plus putting the epicylic aside I just like to have a nice set of RV cases for a small engine that will fit in my YZ 250F frame.

I'm using initially two types of cylinder on these RV case. One an FOS like Ken's the second a more normal cylinder but also sliding. I want to totally throttle the engine by the cylinder height.

What would be a Good choice for a generic Gearbox?
    Perhaps KTM would sell complete, new assemblies, wholesale?

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post

What would be a Good choice for a generic Gearbox?
    Perhaps KTM would sell complete, new assemblies, wholesale?

Cheers, Daryl.
    Depends on the end use. Flettner's main focus has been dirt usage so a medium to wide ratio box is preferred. The trouble with that in NZ is that we're a pretty limited market and not many of any given model come in. Hence the problem finding the Ymaha boxes..Offhand other than the XR/XL Honda 250's i can't think of a dirt bike that will be available in numbers at the wreckers.
    Road use is a bit easier as there are quite a lot of suitable close/semi close boxes available.

If you want new, a guy I know here formed a connection with the kawasaki factory in the Phillipines and bought 10 400 4T twin engines complete with carbs and ignition. He wanted to start a small car class. Quite cheap - and they were easy to deal with apparently.
    I remember unpacking a new Suzuki GSX1100 gearbox for John Britten. Ordered through the local agents, it was boxes and bags of separate parts. About an hour of checking it was complete...

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Mmm, yummy piston and it fits in this barrel
    And three 360 cylinders back from heat threatment. Couriers lost one for a day, got my blood pressure up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170727_123429.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	600.9 KB 
ID:	331967  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Depends on the end use. Flettner's main focus has been dirt usage so a medium to wide ratio box is preferred. The trouble with that in NZ is that we're a pretty limited market and not many of any given model come in. Hence the problem finding the Ymaha boxes..Offhand other than the XR/XL Honda 250's i can't think of a dirt bike that will be available in numbers at the wreckers.
    Road use is a bit easier as there are quite a lot of suitable close/semi close boxes available.

If you want new, a guy I know here formed a connection with the kawasaki factory in the Phillipines and bought 10 400 4T twin engines complete with carbs and ignition. He wanted to start a small car class. Quite cheap - and they were easy to deal with apparently.
    I remember unpacking a new Suzuki GSX1100 gearbox for John Britten. Ordered through the local agents, it was boxes and bags of separate parts. About an hour of checking it was complete...
    I was thinking the xr series as well, they were pretty much unchanged for a big number of years, by if 5 speed is his thing a CRF450 might be a little more current they are based n the CR250/500 gearbox.
    if he was using the horozontal split i would go for a VT250 gearbox beefy gears and also used on MVX and CBR250's obnly thing is they have a planetry sector mechanism
    i can't imagine any of these motors would wear out a gearbox before totally killing an engine
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Offhand other than the XR/XL Honda 250's i can't think of a dirt bike that will be available in numbers at the wreckers.
    I managed to kill third, (iirc) gear on two XL350s. Not sure if they improved them with the K2 but I didn't hear of too many issues other than mine.

Neither of them were exactly a 350s though.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I managed to kill third, (iirc) gear on two XL350s. Not sure if they improved them with the K2 but I didn't hear of too many issues other than mine.

Neither of them were exactly a 350s though.
    From the intro of the XL350, the 250 and 350 boxes were the same. The original 250 Motosport is actually closer ratios.
    I've got a 250 motorsport roadrace project I may actually finish one day and it took a half day searching at the Timaru wreckers to assemble an early box...

Thread Information