Page 225 of 337 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235275325 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    I can confirm that over here, petrol or aviation fuel, even just some basic sniffing, doesn't appear to be any good for the human brain at least. Fletto, just monitor that sheep, it may produce some exotic wool fibre that's stronger than carbon fibre, otherwise to the edge of the cliff.

Well, dunno if you remember me, but I used to post some enchanting dribble on here for a bit.

After some total distractions, be it work, keeping the good wife happy, karting and karting politics, I got some time to re-plumb the dyno. A friend in South Oz has a STUSKA water brake dyno which is very similar to the TRIK unit I am playing with and, best of all, he had a manual which had some useful info re the circuitry.

Just gave it a whiz and it sort of worked, but clearly needs a much finer adjusting inlet feed valve rather than the gate valve I had fitted. Think I stopped the load needle quivering off by adding a heavy mass to the body of the scale. I do recognise the scale is just junk, but I just needed some indication of load to even see if the dyno could be controlled. If it does go ok, then I’ll just put on a load cell and display, for <$100 via good old Alibaba. The 3 exhausts still make a shitload of noise too.

So, the plan Sam is to to fix the valve then take it home and set it up and annoy the neighbours. It has to go cos we do have some big bulky work coming thru pretty soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2362.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	727.2 KB 
ID:	332596
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Will, don't underestermate sheep, they are cunning bastards, I notice it always checks the gate after I've been through it. And if by chance it does get out into the garden it conveniently forgets how to get back into it's paddock, unless food is involved. Bastard sheep.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Will, don't underestermate sheep, they are cunning bastards, I notice it always checks the gate after I've been through it. And if by chance it does get out into the garden it conveniently forgets how to get back into it's paddock, unless food is involved. Bastard sheep.
    Well, maybe you are right, we used to have a couple of renegade sheep who could always find a way out of the paddock, I often chased them on my old Model G Royal Enfield - it eventually got to the stage that all I had to do was start it up in the yard and they immediately disappeared back into the paddock at high speed!

KEN who?
    Where the hell have you been, we've been worried sick about you!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Rack and pinion. With back rollers and support bearings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170916_191210.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	492.2 KB 
ID:	332612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170917_190652.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	487.4 KB 
ID:	332633  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Just need to make a housing to house it all.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Housing made. All works nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170918_205822.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	610.3 KB 
ID:	332644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170918_205854.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	498.1 KB 
ID:	332645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170918_210117.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	466.0 KB 
ID:	332646  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty cool, certainly easier than the TSS CPI conversion, although maybe you made those too?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Slider update, NO downdate.

Well, after further dyno plumbing enhancements, we gave it another run. Then it happened. For some reason under some load when trying to slowly increase the revs, the thing suddenly unloaded, revs went to just under 30k, an exhaust spring broke, an exhaust fell off and the sliding cylinder M6 actuation (push/pull) rod snapped. Bit of a pisser really.

This is the second time the rod has broken, in this case a plain shank, no thread stress raiser (as in the previous failure). See pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2374.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	332700

I think the actuating lever effectively floating and restrained in the fore/aft direction only by the rod is just imposing some severe cyclic fatigue loadings on the rod, snapping it. The good news is that the piston etc looks ok and the things turns over ok.

So, for the moment, I’ll remove the lever assy and replace the rod with a longer one and just use a series of light spacers to provide the cylinder height variation, in some incremental fashion. Gotta partially strip it to do this. And also further educate myself on the control of a water brake.

In the meantime, Fletto will have a built a half dozen new engines and/or flown around the world in his autogyro.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Pity the dyno couldn't grab the reading, it was bound to have just broached 70.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post

Well, after further dyno plumbing enhancements, we gave it another run. Then it happened. For some reason under some load when trying to slowly increase the revs, the thing suddenly unloaded, revs went to just under 30k, an exhaust spring broke, an exhaust fell off and the sliding cylinder M6 actuation (push/pull) rod snapped. Bit of a pisser really. .............So, for the moment, I’ll remove the lever assy and replace the rod with a longer one and just use a series of light spacers to provide the cylinder height variation, in some incremental fashion.
    Ken,
    Does it mean that there is a definite case for the introduction the "straight line" piston rod movement instead of the normal conrod in order to reduce piston/cylinder friction? - the frictional forces at work here I feel will be much more of a problem than was first thought!
    I am a quite an open proponent of the MCE5 idea of a straight line piston/rod movement which probably could be used to produce an effect similar to a sliding cylinder ...... or if still using a sliding cylinder then the (rod snapping) effect of friction on the cylinder wall will be much reduced - ( I do realize that I only have ideas which never progress into anything thing tangible and I could be misreading the whole bloody concept anyway ) - so I'll understand if you don't listen!
    Keep up the effort
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle

I think the actuating lever effectively floating and restrained in the fore/aft direction only by the rod is just imposing some severe cyclic fatigue loadings on the rod, snapping it. The good news is that the piston etc looks ok and the things turns over ok.
    Reminds me a lot of a bike here that had a history of breaking the rear shock shaft - usually while warming it up with no rider.
    After they took my suggestion of never firing it without leaving someone in the seat, things got better.
    What about a nylon/teflon guide bearing to damp out the rod's vibration ?

Bike
    none
    I'm on the road, between country D and country I, wifi is not too good (so don't worry if you don't hear from me over the next few days) but I love it! Carry on.

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar

Bike
    none
    I think the actuating lever effectively floating and restrained in the fore/aft direction only by the rod is just imposing some severe cyclic fatigue loadings on the rod, snapping it.
    I think so too. The lever is hovering over an engine that is violently shaking fore-aft. The rod takes the whole beating. Maybe you can build some guidance for the head and nut of the bolt that holds the rod.
    By the way, revving to just under 30k is not bad at all. The port layout in this cylinder doesn't suffer from lack of time-area .

EDIT: a balance shaft might solve the problem. Maybe you should switch to one of Flettners new cases, Ken.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Some interesting stuff there, basic foundry techniques haven't really changed a lot over the years, but the modern resin sand technology etc these days seems to be evolving to a stage where it has superceded die casting - not the rough old sand castings we used to see!
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information