Page 227 of 337 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So I'm guessing it's SLA. FDM is going to be well bumpy without heaps of work. Pissing around too much with our Polyjet at work of late. Great for prototypes but a drag for production. Good finish though.
    Well bumpy it was. Hence the spot putty and primer surfacer. It's a Leapfrog Creatr with twin head, one of the early ones.

Now Dave, you've now got yourself into a bit of a pickle. With an SLA machine at your disposal, we at Foundry are now looking forward (no, expecting) to see some moulds, lost SLA printed castings etc etc. Even if it's 50 cc we don't mind.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Polyjet is slightly different to SLA. Well quite different. It lays down layers on a tray with a mat of support material like an inkjet printer and UV cures that layer at a time. Don't think for a minute that I actually know what I'm talking about.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Polyjet is slightly different to SLA. Well quite different. It lays down layers on a tray with a mat of support material like an inkjet printer and UV cures that layer at a time. Don't think for a minute that I actually know what I'm talking about.
    For some reason i thought you worked at a musical instrument factory.
    But seeing your work sig the other day it was more like you arrange the orchestra for the 1812 overture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Don't think for a minute that I actually know what I'm talking about.
    Same here Dave, but if you aren't afraid of being wrong now and again, just make a statement (somewhere in the ball park of course) and by the end of the day you will know - someone will quickly clarify things!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    not foundry
    Hydroforming with grease

with rubber and a jack

hands and water
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    none
    Don't think for a minute that I actually know what I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Same here Dave, but if you aren't afraid of being wrong now and again, just make a statement (somewhere in the ball park of course) and by the end of the day you will know - someone will quickly clarify things!
    Very philosophical Will, and quite correct.
    We all start our knowledge by not knowing anything, so our first statements won't even be in the ball park. But we will either be put straight by someone with a bit more knowledge or experience, or we will repeat our mistakes so often that we will start noticing them ourselves. And suspecting that we may be wrong is the first step to wisdom.
    I was lucky enough to work and live with the Master of two-strokes, Jan Thiel, and three things come to mind: his elephant-like memory, his unequalled experience
    and his eternal doubt about everything (and his handwriting; it was nearly identical to mine and sometimes, looking over old notes, we were not sure who wrote what).

I used to make a living as technical editor, and searching for the most lucid way of explaining something often enhanced my own insight as well.
    It's what I still do: writing in forums and creating the impression that I know what I'm talking about. Hell, sometimes I even believe it myself .

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I used to make a living as technical editor, and searching for the most lucid way of explaining something often enhanced my own insight as well.
    It's what I still do: writing in forums and creating the impression that I know what I'm talking about. Hell, sometimes I even believe it myself .
    I knew we had something in common. In the distant past I was a technical writer for General Dynamics Electric Boat Division. I didn't know anything about submarines, but was surrounded by ex navy chief petty officers that did. I did know how to edit their knowledge into "proper" (American) English. The experience was very educational. I still write articles on model boating and engines as a hobby.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Good to hear all that stuff, sort of gives you the feeling of knowing the people you are talking to!
    I think I would have enjoyed doing the type of work you guys did.

Unfortunately I never progressed in the field of engines and motors (which was what I really wanted to do), I was a farmer's son and was expected to be only interested in farming, so went to work on my father's farm where I was a bit of a misfit, I spent my days watching various types of military aircraft constantly flying around us, mostly unnoticed by the majority of people living in the area - didn't excite them at all!
    Later on, motorcycles, often with me on board were also flying around the area, that did arouse interest (mostly negative).

My interest in metal casting came from going into the local foundry on the way home from school and spending the odd half hour just observing what went on, I also visited the local scrapyard every day for a while to admire two Bristol sleeve valve radials recovered from a Wellington bomber which had crashed locally, but they eventually disappeared (no doubt to the furnace!).

Then, after moving to NZ I managed to dabble in all the stuff which interested me, but was really too busy trying to make a living to get deeply involved ...... unfortunately,

Must say though that I have acquired a lot of info on metal casting right here on this forum.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Will, you are becoming one of my internet "friends". I think I majored in shop in high school. I started out in manufacturing with an eye toward becoming an engineer. I worked in the engineering departments of companies that made everything from atomic submarines to zippers, but never as an engineer. All of these companies are gone but two; Lyman Gunsight and Electric Boat. These days I'm a dentist and engineering model engines is my hobby. I have a 1960s machine shop with a vertical mill and a Monarch lathe. I'm thinking of moving into the 21st century with a 3D printer, but I need to master 3D model design first. We'll see if a really old guy can learn Fusion 360.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    Will, you are becoming one of my internet "friends". I think I majored in shop in high school. I started out in manufacturing with an eye toward becoming an engineer. I worked in the engineering departments of companies that made everything from atomic submarines to zippers, but never as an engineer. All of these companies are gone but two; Lyman Gunsight and Electric Boat. These days I'm a dentist and engineering model engines is my hobby. I have a 1960s machine shop with a vertical mill and a Monarch lathe. I'm thinking of moving into the 21st century with a 3D printer, but I need to master 3D model design first. We'll see if a really old guy can learn Fusion 360.
    Lohring Miller
    Flettner (Neil) has proven to us all just what can be done using pencil and paper, old style foundry technology, modern two stroke design and will power to actually produce his home designed two stroke aircraft and motorcycle engines, all built from scratch using his own innovations as well as modern day proven ideas.
    Not so sure that a lot of people actually appreciate just how unique he is in this field.

I would have loved to have been able to do all this stuff too, but now I don't think I have the drive (probably never had), nor the time left to do all that and so my thoughts will probably remain as thoughts in my head.
    However I think that 3d printers are very interesting and perhaps better and safer for this old guy to be playing with, than a messy home machine shop/foundry which isn't very conducive to keeping friendly with the family or neighbours!

My son seems to think that 3D printing would be a great hobby for me, (probably thinks that it could get me out of my unsafe workshop!) but I see it as just an aid for patternmaking to be used in conjunction with my crude foundry and not as a hobby in itself.

Most people don't quite understand this! - the first thing they think of is making a gun or some miraculous machine to put on the shelf for people to admire.
    I probably couldn't justify spending money on one of these - a worthwhile one (as opposed to the many gimmicky ones on the market) could be quite expensive for me and yes, of course there's the software to buy and then learning it is something else - etc. etc.

3D printers I find fascinating, but only as an addition to a budget home foundry, and expensive, .....well .... maybe better not! - I think that doing patterns the old woodworking way is probably best for someone in my position to do - traditional patternmaking can also be a great hobby in itself of course!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Lohring, Ha ha, your screwed, if you are like me I start to learn Geomagic (? , I think that's what its called) and end up cornered somewhere in the program. Usually just turn the computer off and go out to the shed and just make the part I was trying to draw. it's jolly frustrating. Personaly I need to sit down with someone that knows the program and every time I'm stumped just ask. I find Help file would be better named Helpless! Just need to keep at it I guess.
    From what I see in your back ground I think you will be way more patient and master your program quickly, I'd say good luck but if you are relying on luck you are never going to get there

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Will, I'm going to do a cast up before Christmas, some cylinders and crank cases. You are welcome to attend if you like.
    That goes for others on this thread too if they want to.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Will, I'm going to do a cast up before Christmas, some cylinders and crank cases. You are welcome to attend if you like.
    That goes for others on this thread too if they want to.
    Yes, thanks count me in, I'll do my best to actually be there this time!
    Just let me know in advance when it's on (weather permitting of course).
    Hope some of the others do manage to go as well.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    I have a 1960s machine shop with a vertical mill and a Monarch lathe.
    Anything like this one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1054.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	333027  
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    As an alternative to green sand, which is water based, there are oil based alternatives, which give a better finish. Reading the blurbs, it appears that because the steam generated by the water based green sand is a lot more voluminous than the vapours of the oil based sands, much finer sands can be used, hence the better finish. One type being Petrobond.

http://smelko.com/?page_id=322
    http://fennetic.net/gingery_machines/petrobond.html
    http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhos...dingsand.shtml

Of interest is KBond, some thing which one can make oneself (= good). Appropriately, it calls up for 2 stroke oil, which makes perfect sense, given the reason we are all here for. Aren’t we ?

http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/kbond.shtml

Anyone had any experience with either ?

As a total aside from hot metal splashing, how was the MGP (& also M2 & M3 which we normally never get to see, certainly on free-to-air) racing yesterday. Absolutely brilliant. Who’d ever, ever watch F1 after that ?
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Thread Information