Page 228 of 337 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Flettner (Neil) has proven to us all just what can be done using pencil and paper, old style foundry technology, modern two stroke design and will power to actually produce his home designed two stroke aircraft and motorcycle engines, all built from scratch using his own innovations as well as modern day proven ideas.
    Not so sure that a lot of people actually appreciate just how unique he is in this field.
    I daresay you simply can't, not until you have tried something of the sort yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    how was the MGP (& also M2 & M3 which we normally never get to see, certainly on free-to-air) racing yesterday. Absolutely brilliant.
    For those who missed it:
    http://www.multiup.eu/fr/mirror/94d3...7__Fr__Xor.mp4 (French-spoken, but all pictures are in English )
    You can either watch it online or download it.

Downloading took me > 3 hours but it was worth every minute of it. It wasn't 'just' wheel-to-wheel, it was wheel-to-opponent, regularly!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Australia MotoGP 2017.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	333043 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	racing is not for sissies.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	333044

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Anything like this one?
    No, this one.

Name:	2014-04-14_17-17-25_438.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	333045

I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about electrical systems trying to keep the Ward Leonard drive running. It's a great example of an era where manpower was cheap and technology was expensive.

I have lots of problems with todays digital thinking. I still find it easier to sketch out things with an ancient K&E drafting machine than to draw it on a computer. Most of the time I just play around in the shop and destroy a lot of metal with mistakes until I get it right.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    No, this one.

Name:	2014-04-14_17-17-25_438.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	333045

I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about electrical systems trying to keep the Ward Leonard drive running. It's a great example of an era where manpower was cheap and technology was expensive.

I have lots of problems with todays digital thinking. I still find it easier to sketch out things with an ancient K&E drafting machine than to draw it on a computer. Most of the time I just play around in the shop and destroy a lot of metal with mistakes until I get it right.

Lohring Miller
    You're a braver man than me.

As a general purpose lathe the only real disadvantage is the size of the headstock bore, maybe a few more revs when using carbides. In most regards they're at least as good as any modern machine, mine was a superior device to the Colchester in the background and A South Bend I had.

Yes, I use Rhino3D, often initially just for the ability to present screen shots or renderings as proposals but once you've done that to any reasonable level it's no work at all to produced workshop drawings. Occasionally it also reveals potential issues with a design that may not have been apparent on paper, components attempting to occupying the same space not visible in traditional views, etc. Having said that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of "mulitple, incrementally refined prototypes".
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I daresay you simply can't, not until you have tried something of the sort yourself.
    I would have been in that group too until I gave it a go, my efforts are pathetic by comparison but it gave me an insight into how much dedication and hard work is required! I had to push myself to do it, but glad I did and I need to keep on pushing myself.
    I'll keep going till I can't anymore and with a bit of luck I'll inspire someone much younger to help me out and carry it on! Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, I've only fired it up 4 times!

As an alternative to green sand, which is water based, there are oil based alternatives, which give a better finish. One type being Petrobond.
    Good simple and easy to digest article on Pertobond style sand - Got to at least try it anyway!

Of interest is KBond, ............ (= good). Appropriately, it calls up for 2 stroke oil, which makes perfect sense, given the reason we are all here for. Aren’t we ?
    I think from memory that Shell produce a good detergent oil for compressors (called "Rotella") which might be suitable.

.......... how was the MGP (& also M2 & M3) racing yesterday. Absolutely brilliant. Who’d ever, ever watch F1 after that ?
    Very good racing, you see them pass and repass with their elbows and knees on the deck, very exciting!
    In F1, a pass is a major event!, you never even get to see any action from the driver cocconed in his "safety cave" nor do you see them on the podium smiling and discussing an exciting race - only smiling for the cameras. - Moto GP and Superbikes win hands down (or should it be knees and elbows down)!

BTW I have finally forgiven Marquez for his behaviour towards Rossi a year or so back - he is obviously a fantastic rider and loves every moment of racing. Dovisioso (unfortunately) didn't shine this time!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Long time project, the 360 mark 2 TPI engine is back together with a wide ratio YZ X gearbox, all sealed up. Time to build a clutch cover pattern. This is not the cylinder I'll be using.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171031_103907.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	771.3 KB 
ID:	333190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171031_103851.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	767.9 KB 
ID:	333191  

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    . This is not the cylinder I'll be using.
    Looks like the injector entry points are near horizontal on this pic. Nevertheless, KTM might try to patent it anyway..
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    The beginnings of another clutch cover, 360 TPI

Name:	20171102_135633.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	357.6 KB 
ID:	333197  

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    The beginnings of another clutch cover, 360 TPI
    What are you using for glue Neil?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    There we go, 4.5mm wall thickness. Paint and sand a few times.
    Glue, just five minute epoxy, I don't have the patience for anything longer.

Name:	20171102_201649.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	333205  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    There we go, 4.5mm wall thickness. Paint and sand a few times.
    Glue, just five minute epoxy, I don't have the patience for anything longer.
    Will be watching all this with interest!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Progress I guess.

Name:	20171104_214148.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	650.8 KB 
ID:	333232  

Bike
    none
    Progress I guess.
    That will provide a spacious accommodation for your Rekluse clutch, Neil.
    But why put the inlet disc at the clutch side? Just because it was that way in the original Bighorn, or are there other reasons?

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    There are reasons, just give me time to think of some.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I guess one would be.I need a reasonable charging system
    Flywheel on the left side of the engine, also it might have my new favorite, a pull start. Plus no carb or throttle body says there will plenty of room for the intake and still air box. And I just like my 350s layout. There you have it no reason really.

Bike
    none
    There are reasons, just give me time to think of some.
    Sounds like a set of reasonable reasons to me

Thread Information