Page 246 of 337 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    If we wanted to keep the "sound" going, we could use the two stroke (suitably tuned) driving a generator in a Hybrid!
    I have actually been thinking about that. It's not new of course; diesel-electric locomotives have been around for decades, but I wanted both a continuously variable transmission and kinetic energy recovery, which led me to the combustion engine - generator - supercapacitor - E-motor setup.
    A small two-stroke engine with such a setup, running at maximum power 100% of the time, would be unbeatable.

But forget about keeping the 'sound' going. It would be horrible. In fact it was horrible. Williams tried it in a Formula 1 Car and test driver David Coulthard reported more power and a much stabler car. But the FIA vetoed it even before the first race of the season.
    It would have chased the spectators away: instead of the thrilling F1-noises they were expecting, it sounded like a horn going round the track: just one constant pitch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpB...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Vannik View Post
    Then you should use a tripple with a log manifold, it stays mostly in tune through the rev range if the blowdown pulse for one cylinder is used as the plugging pulse for the previous cylinder. This only works for 3 cylinder engines and is why outboards prefer I3 or V6 layouts.
    How about a 180°-twin Neels? It would require an exhaust timing of perhaps 220° but think of the stuffing pressure: a multiple of the pressure that an expansion chamber could manage.
    I imagine a very short, small-volume manifold directly from one exhaust port to the other, and a rotating drum underneath, that opens the manifold to the atmosphere once the cylinder that had to be stuffed, has closed it exhaust. And maybe the drum could double as a balance shaft.
    Wishful thinking, I know. But Flettner has some nice 180°-twins...

Bike
    Yamaha XJ750 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    How about a 180°-twin Neels? It would require an exhaust timing of perhaps 220° but think of the charging pressure: a multiple of the return pressure that an expansion chamber could manage.
    I imagine a very short, small-volume manifold directly from one exhaust port to the other and a rotating drum underneath that opens the manifold to the atmosphere once the cylinder that had to be charged, has closed it exhaust. And maybe the drum could double as a balance shaft.
    Wishful thinking, I know. But Flettner has some nice 180°-twins...
    Frits, I have been looking at it but it also has a further issue if the practicalities of connected exhausts are considered and that is that it is more rpm dependent. I think once Flettner looks into 3 cyl engines he might start making triples....

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Vannik View Post
    Frits, I have been looking at it but it also has a further issue if the practicalities of connected exhausts are considered and that is that it is more rpm dependent. I think once Flettner looks into 3 cyl engines he might start making triples....
    Surprise: a Fletto-triple .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz triple 03.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	335747

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Surprise: a Fletto-triple .
    Yes I was going to mention that! ....... not much he hasn't tried! - while most of us talk (and talk) he just does it!

Cvt is pretty good I reckon (I had it in my 2010 Nissan Qashkai) and I thought it was fantastic - we changed the car to a little Mazda because my wife thought the Nissan was too big. It had some unusual noises which you got used to, no jerks and when you put your foot down it went to a certain rev level, stayed there and the car just kept accelerating, loved it
    So when it was banned in racing they changed to seamless gearboxes? - why weren't they banned too?

BTW has "Fletto" become the official name now? - It's that Aussie influence creeping in (courtesy of Keen Seeber), - haven't seen him for a while!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    none
    [/QUOTE]
    Cvt is pretty good I reckon... So when it was banned in racing they changed to seamless gearboxes? - why weren't they banned too?
    BTW has "Fletto" become the official name now? - It's that Aussie influence creeping in (courtesy of Keen Seeber)
    CVT was banned from Formula 1 in 1993, in the 3,5 liter V10-era. I don't know exactly when seamless shift was introduced, but I expect it was a bit later.
    The reason for banning CVT was not valid for seamless boxes because with seamless you'll still hear the revs go up and down; the sound won't differ very much from old-fashioned shifting.

I wrote Fletto instead of Flettner just because 'Fletto-triple' gave a nice t-alliteration.
    Now that you mention it, 'Fletto' may have been introduced by Ken Seeber. I didn't recognize the Aussie influence...
    BTW, was your 'Keen' instead of Ken a typo or a deliberate spelling? Ken won't object, I suppose.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    CVT was banned from Formula 1 in 1993, in the 3,5 liter V10-era. I don't know exactly when seamless shift was introduced, but I expect it was a bit later.
    I wrote Fletto instead of Flettner just because 'Fletto-triple' gave a nice t-alliteration.
    Now that you mention it, 'Fletto' may have been introduced by Ken Seeber. I didn't recognize the Aussie influence...
    BTW, was your 'Keen' instead of Ken a typo or a deliberate spelling? Ken won't object, I suppose.
    The spelling of Ken was a definite typo - sorry.
    The Aussies often shorten a word or name and add an 'o' at the end, - I reckon that's good in this case! - dunno what "Fletto" thinks but I'm sure he has other more important stuff to think about.

BTW what they could do is put mufflers on the engines and have a V8 style noise introduced using speakers then everyone will be happy!....... 0h and they could drip feed Castrol R into the exhaust manifolds as well!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    The spelling of Ken was a definite typo - sorry.
    The Aussies often shorten a word or name and add an 'o' at the end, - I reckon that's good in this case! - dunno what "Fletto" thinks but I'm sure he has other more important stuff to think about.
    That’s ok Willy (or could/should it be Willo?), I’m still Keen.

Jeez, you guys have been busy, both here and on Oddball. Lot’s of things going on here (in Oz), but distractive.

Frits bought up a couple of points that I have always thought of for ages. For instance, if say one was making a small crank scavenged (even if it was air only) 2 stroke engine with an integrated generator (ie the rotor & its magnets part of one or both crank webs), then there is the decision to be made about the relative sizing of the engine.

Do we want to have a smaller engine at high BMEP “revving it’s tits off” with a relatively large expansion chamber OR a much larger engine at much lower BMEP, a small can style exhaust and, as Frits pointed out, “that had eternal life”? In the latter case I am thinking of some sort of passive and low emission fuelling system like the Husqvarna X Torq or some other “DI less” alternative.

Bit of a mental ramble I know.

Now, how’s your memories? Have been doing a bit on the slider, main thing was chasing up an M6 stud of the correct length as part of the sliding cylinder height control. In the end it was a matter of threading one end of a long screw.

Cylinder is tight to move, but as observed during the previous running, it has a natural tendency to lower itself, logical when you consider the piston ring friction, albeit a very slow or creeping action. The plan it to replace the previously troublesome actuating lever and just use a simple series of quicly replaceable stacked spacers that will allow me to set the height of the cylinder in small incremental steps. And using a simple& proven inertia dyno.

Otherwise, nothing broke in it, except for the 3D printed ABS coolant flow guide that surrounded the head insert. Will do another, but perhaps with a 3 layer thickness and strengthened by giving it an acetal brush coating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2947.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	335762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2945.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	335763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2944.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	335764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2940.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	335765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2935.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	335766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2884.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	335767
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    That’s ok Willy (or could/should it be Willo?), I’m still Keen.
    Ken (Keen?) (Keen Ken?) - You can call me what you like (within reason) but just read my rants and dumb questions and criticize them if necessary (but in a constructive, as opposed to a cynical manner) and if you disagree, then let me know why you disagree (make it stick) then I may concede that I might even be wrong.
    That's how guys like us learn you see, as opposed to doing everything to the letter from the instruction manual!

Frits bought up a couple of points that I have always thought of for ages. For instance, if say one was making a small crank scavenged (even if it was air only) 2 stroke engine with an integrated generator (ie the rotor & its magnets part of one or both crank webs), then there is the decision to be made about the relative sizing of the engine.
    Do we want to have a smaller engine at high BMEP “revving it’s tits off” with a relatively large expansion chamber OR a much larger engine at much lower BMEP, a small can style exhaust and, as Frits pointed out, “that had eternal life”? In the latter case I am thinking of some sort of passive and low emission fuelling system like the Husqvarna X Torq or some other “DI less” alternative.
    Think that the straight line piston rod being used as a generator (spinoff from the free piston idea) is good and if "Fletto" and his idea comes to fruition then who knows!
    Anything could happen in the future, but If the two stroke is to survive, it will surely survive in a very different form!

Now, how’s your memories? Have been doing a bit on the slider, ...........nothing broke in it, except for the 3D printed ABS coolant flow guide that surrounded the head insert. .......
    Keep plugging away with that one Ken, glad to see you still in the land of the living and up and running (don't run too fast!)
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    two sliding GIBs machined, one advancing and one trailing, just need to cut them out and machine to thickness (6mm) then get them hard anodized. slots are for the small activating cranks to engage into them (not made yet).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180321_114156.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	533.5 KB 
ID:	335825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180321_114222.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	431.5 KB 
ID:	335826  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    ok, there they are.

Name:	20180321_125901.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	635.8 KB 
ID:	335828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180321_125811.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	743.5 KB 
ID:	335829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180321_125802.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	728.5 KB 
ID:	335830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180321_125743.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	673.3 KB 
ID:	335831  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    actuator cranks made, now see why the double sided belt.

Name:	20180321_145933.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	596.2 KB 
ID:	335834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180321_145817.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	539.2 KB 
ID:	335835  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That' smoking cool, but I can' work out how you'll have enough space near the whirley around bits.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    That' smoking cool, but I can' work out how you'll have enough space near the whirley around bits.
    I'll assemble it up with pictures when the GIBs come back from Anodising. Had to put the heat on and get them finished today to go away with some real work that needs to be hard anodized as well. You know, minimum charge and all that, probably still way under the minimum weight.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    actuator cranks made, now see why the double sided belt.
    Just shows how wrong you can be, I thought that you were going to be using pinion gears on those spindles with a rack (as it were) on the inside of the curve. (I haven't been paying attention I guess!).
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    ok, there they are.
    Neil alias Fletto alias creator of lots of swarf, excellent work. Still a legend.
    Question. The cover to go over all this, will this have bores to accept the two actuator shaft bearing pillars? If this is the case, will the belts will be "dry"?
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Thread Information