Page 271 of 337 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281321 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Neil, is the hoist just for the lid or also for the crucible?....looks to be of industrial strength...

Lohring, that's clever, but with an FDM the inserted part must be no higher than the top surface of the print at that time..

Have look at this one, looks like he is getting it pretty much right now..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWukB0B404 Some good R&D for us...
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1991 Suzuki PV50
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    3D scanner and potentially hours and hours spent processing the scan data. It might be usable for a 3D printer without a great deal of work if you get a very clean scan, but turning things into accurate surfaces to pull into CAD can be a serious chore.
    Hey,
    You are talking about photogrammetry here! Go to youtube and type "prusa photogrammetry", watch part II and be amazed!

Few years ago I tried it first time but did managed to achieve nothing. It just was too difficult. Now I did take second try with it and I'm just amazed how much programs have developed since then. Now the hardest part is to download and install meshroom.
    Haven't used photogrammetry on two-strokes yet but most certainly will some day.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-87 View Post
    You are talking about photogrammetry here! Go to youtube and type "prusa photogrammetry", watch part II and be amazed!
    That's great!

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    That video and the Meshroom website show a much improved product over some that I saw several years ago.

But it still only gives a mesh/point cloud that has to be processed for CAD surfacing if using it to create a CAD model is the goal. I didn't see any information on how accurate the mesh is to an original, and it appears to have similar problems to light scanners with wanting a certain texture/color/other factors for an optimum result. I think there was mention that the mesh created is without scale so you'd need to find features where you know the accurate distance between them to let you scale the mesh, where laser scanners are often at a .1mm accuracy or better on the mesh that is created from them.

But since far more people have access to a camera than a scanner, and just want to get something they can print at home, this seems to offer a great deal for a free product.

thanks for letting me know about it,

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    1964 Vespa GS
    Regarding the durability/suitability of PLA for patterns I took a good look at them after use. The issue with the core box where I thought I had scratched it while ramming them up, turned out to be lines from printing that I had failed to fill/sand. Other than that they worked fine and were rather quick to produce. I use the tetrahedral infill in cura with a 4mm spacing to give them good strength and print at a really slow speed with a setting to keep the nozzle always inside to body of the part. This minimizes the blemishes on the surface that have to be cleaned up. Then finished them with spot putty, primer, and sanding to get a smooth surface.

Next time I'll probably do a match board or at least mold in the runner and gates, did that for the riser and it worked very well. The pouring basin was a last minute idea the day before. printed it as fast as I could and hoped it worked, it did, so I'll be making a second rev a bit nicer.

Working on the fixtures now to finish the manifolds and should have them done next weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3401.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	552.9 KB 
ID:	341340

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Neil, is the hoist just for the lid or also for the crucible?....looks to be of industrial strength...

looks like he is getting it pretty much right now..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWukB0B404 Some good R&D for us...
    Try and try as you might, but it just won't work! …..... what won't work? you ask - trying keep a good guy down won't work! - well done ALEX
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Amongst other things, eg staying alive, we have been working on a cylinder head for son Brett's KTM 250 engined kart. One prime issue was that the head outlet faced forward, to suit the bike's radiators. Some simply reverse the head, allowing the coolant to basically escape the head without passing thru the single pass passages. Dumb, but there you go.

So we have been working on the design of a double pass coolant head, allowing the outlet to face rearwards to suit the kart installation. With the help of a certain Dominik, the design has been done in SolidWorks. For me though, I think it is well worthwhile to be able to "look, touch, feel" every now and then rather than just a screen. Enter the 3D printer.

Just did a half in PLA. 4.5 hours later @ 0.2 Z increments & $1.70 in filament, we have one.
    Design is not final, with some small tweaks req'd.

Obviously designing is one thing, but one still has to make it.

2 main choices: lost PLA or casting wax type filament, or classic moulds using cope and drag with separate cores. As the cores will be fairly delicate, I don't think any cold box sand cores will do, given that we'd make coreboxes for these using 3D prints. So, I am thinking progressing the plaster approach as I posted a few times ago. How many we might make, ranging from just one, is a factor in deciding in how to make it. Certainly Alex on his "2 stroke stuffing" Youtubes is doing well with the lost PLA method.

Anyways, was nice to see the printer working, doing a good job without supports. A Creality CR10S Pro with Cura 3.6.0 win64 slicing software

Name:	DSC_0706.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	809.8 KB 
ID:	341381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0696.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	792.3 KB 
ID:	341380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0684.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	824.3 KB 
ID:	341379
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    none
    ... we have been working on a cylinder head for son Brett's KTM 250 engined kart. One prime issue was that the head outlet faced forward, to suit the bike's radiators. Some simply reverse the head, allowing the coolant to basically escape the head without passing thru the single pass passages....
    So we have been working on the design of a double pass coolant head, allowing the outlet to face rearwards to suit the kart installation.
    An example of a similar solution by www.emot.nl

Name:	emot-50-05-.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	341384 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooling 03.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	341383

Bike
    1964 Vespa GS
    Finished up the MotoBi manifold and got it mounted on the bike.

Name:	IMG_3445.png 
Size:	518.0 KB 
ID:	341403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3452.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	341402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3453.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	541.0 KB 
ID:	341401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3458.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	554.5 KB 
ID:	341400

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    real nice, looks like they machined well.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsClunkThud View Post
    Finished up the MotoBi manifold and got it mounted on the bike.

Name:	IMG_3445.png 
Size:	518.0 KB 
ID:	341403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3452.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	341402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3453.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	541.0 KB 
ID:	341401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3458.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	554.5 KB 
ID:	341400
    How much angle can you get of those Yohi carb before they start flooding
    Looking at them they always looked to be derived more from a Keihin PWK can the normal Yoshimura Mikunis
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1964 Vespa GS
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    How mauch angle can you fet of those Yohi carb before they start flooding
    Looking at them they always looked to be derived more from a Keihin PWK can the normal Yoshimura Mikunis
    It's angled down at 50°, float bowl is level at that angle so no drips. They are base on a PWK, I can take some detail shots if you're interested.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsClunkThud View Post
    It's angled down at 50°, float bowl is level at that angle so no drips. They are base on a PWK, I can take some detail shots if you're interested.
    yeah that would be neat
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    ……….. Anyways, was nice to see the printer working, doing a good job without supports. A Creality CR10S Pro with Cura 3.6.0 win64 slicing software
    Ken, still got bed adhesion probs or have you got that sorted? I had no problems till I lost the roll of tape I got from Bunnings. Got some masking tape from the local paint shop (Sellotape brand) - bloody useless, kept lifting! - Back to Bunnings and got a roll of (Scotch brand) masking tape - all fine again!

BTW, my old computer (C/W with a copy of Solid Works already installed by the previous owner) finally bit the dust! - bugger!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Will, certainly had a few issues initially, but I think it was down to:
    1. Setting the print head height to ensure the first layer is of correct thickness.
    2. Clean the bed surface every time with a wipe of isopropyl alcohol
    3. Preheat the bed, in my case to 70 deg C
    4. Giving the nozzle a few manual feeds beforehand to ensure it is all flowing well after soaking at 200 deg C.

Loss of SW is a nuisance, but I thought you were on Fusion 360.

Thread Information