Page 276 of 337 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278286326 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    there you go Will, all assembled up. Just need a frame to put it on now.

The main driving force is to re make these after market heads for the EA81 Subaru. I used to make them for SUB4 but they have not been making them for years now. There is a bit of a call for these heads again. Shell moulder is needed to make the water cores, efficiently. In fact I need set myself for my two seat Gyro.
    Yes, long before I'd heard of you, I had ideas of having another bash at flying and was looking at something like the sub 4 conversion (I even had two EA 81 engines under the bench! ...... Health gave out big time so sold them to a guy in Featherston - that greived me a lot - good reliable old engines (ie till they tacked on an OHC) - what were they hoping to gain there?
    You obviously improved the original pushrod version - I wondered if you would ever revisit them - can't see how they would be inferior in any way to the multitude of successful VW spinoffs for light aircraft especially when you could fair off the cylinders to stop them sticking out in the breeze like sore toes, upsetting the airflow over the fuselage (a bit like a Harley rider using his legs as air scoops to cool his balls!) and instead having a radiator in a more central location. - probably not wise thoughts ! ....... anyway time for bed.

PS maybe you'll have to offer complete engines later - the EA 81 is probably becoming a little thin on the ground by now!
    ......... Small foundries may yet make a comeback in NZ! - isn't that what the small breweries did?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    A boutique foundry, I guess, Thats the plan.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    A boutique foundry, I guess, Thats the plan.
    Yep, - local service is always best (for us) - we're not done yet!
    I say "us" because most of my life has been spent in NZ ....... and I don't like to see it being swamped by giants! - can't be stopped of course but let's not just lie down!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Wikipedia:

"A boutique is "a small store that sells stylish clothing, jewellery, or other usually luxury goods".[1] The word is French for "shop", which derives ultimately from the Greek ἀποθήκη (apothēkē) or "storehouse".[2][3]

The term "boutique" and also "designer" refer (with some differences) to both goods and services which are containing some element that is claimed to justify an extremely high price. As with the fine art market, and the use of art in money laundering schemes, national governments have to be concerned with boutique shops and the high pricing of boutique goods as instruments in fraud and other financial schemes."

Fletto, suggest you focus on the "extremely high price" bit...
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    husaberg

Carbon foam a refactory made from Bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Wikipedia:

"A boutique is "a small store that sells stylish clothing, jewellery, or other usually luxury goods".[1] The word is French for "shop", which derives ultimately from the Greek ἀποθήκη (apothēkē) or "storehouse".[2][3]

The term "boutique" and also "designer" refer (with some differences) to both goods and services which are containing some element that is claimed to justify an extremely high price. As with the fine art market, and the use of art in money laundering schemes, national governments have to be concerned with boutique shops and the high pricing of boutique goods as instruments in fraud and other financial schemes."

Fletto, suggest you focus on the "extremely high price" bit...
    C'mon now Ken, you know Kiwis and Aussies wouldn't be like that - we have always very fair with our pricing! ..... Neil would be no exception I'm sure. - mates rates for all 'down under' people!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Carbon foam a refactory made from Bread.
    And to think, we have been burning toast for years (right back to the days when we hadn't yet progressed to the dizzy heights of the amazing 'pop up' toaster!). - I know what I'm going to use to build my next furnace!

I guess that would work as well with other material if done in Argon??
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    A milestone, first melt. Decided to just cast one of my gearbox housings as a test. Everything worked well, operated the whole shooting box myself. Supposed to be two housings but bugger it I didn't melt enough aluminium, came up short on the other housing. A few more housings then some cylinders in LM13.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190614_162636.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	801.0 KB 
ID:	342146  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    A milestone, first melt. Decided to just cast one of my gearbox housings as a test. Everything worked well, operated the whole shooting box myself. Supposed to be two housings but bugger it I didn't melt enough aluminium, came up short on the other housing. A few more housings then some cylinders in LM13.
    That's really good to see - everything seems to have cast crisp and clear straight off!
    No doubt you will be sold on the shell moulding process, now that you have reached professional status -( while us plebs have either given up or still muddle along!).
    Do you reckon that it will be a little bit more difficult when you move on to other types of alloy (as opposed to the high silicon alloys like LM13) ?

Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    crucible transporter.

Name:	20190615_172257.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	632.8 KB 
ID:	342152  

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Fletto, well done. Your problem with posting pics is that people will ask questions. So:
    1. Is that CO2 sand or shell core?
    2. Do you guys have Bunnings...the Ryobi Plus 1 drill?
    3. What are the 2 tie rods for? Tilt adjustment?
    Cheers
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    Careful guys,KTM is likely copying it as we speak!An old Harley Davidson t-shirt draped over it would keep them from seeing what smart folks from New Zealand are making!!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    The rod ends are to open and close the crucible gripper jaws. They are off a crashed gyro, never re use them for flight no matter how good they look. Ideal for this kind of work. There is a safety pin I put in the jaws once they are closed, as a back up.
    Yes, CO2 sand. Shell sand molding machine is still a way off, time and money.
    Yes Bunnings, cheap battery drill, good enough.

Name:	20190617_094409.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	637.0 KB 
ID:	342159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190617_094345.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	574.7 KB 
ID:	342160  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Ok. that explains why you didn't show us your new shell core/pattern making machinery in action - I thought that you had abandoned the Co2 method! - what size is the crucible?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Shell sand is more for fine core manufacture, although it can be used for the external molds. Generally requires
    large expensive steel tooling. For simple molds like these CO2 is fine.

I am keen to get into using the Shell molding machine but realistically that will be a wee way off. Finishing the tie rods and patterns off were more about getting sick of tripping over the large lumps of steel on the floor storage system. I will have to get serious later in the year as I have promised EA81 heads to people and possible a few other projects involving fine water cores.

Thread Information