Page 277 of 337 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Well on your way into a "boutique Foundry" and with a great ready made name just waiting to be snatched up! - (ie the name of your district). - That's my view anyway.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    look mum, real production. Gearbox housings.

I'm happy enough if others want to cast Bucket stuff along with my casting. Consumables will need to be covered, I can offer advice but won't be doing any of the pattern work or molding
    But just slide your mold in against my stuff, save useing a foundry that doesn't care or know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190618_183923.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	342161  

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    look mum, real production. Gearbox housings.
    Now you need an old pottery kiln, a cheap timer and a goldfish pond for quenching - Then you can do your own heat treatment.

Edit - for your rural setting, a cattle drinking trough should suffice for quenching.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    So, been working on the/a degassing set up. The fridge compressor just didn?t have the flow, so ?appropriated? a larger unit, but the motor was shot so spent some time adapting another. Being a bit of a hoarder has benefits you know.

The set up will be used to both degas small plaster investment moulds,[ but also to degas the metal once poured into the mould. I am contemplating some fine components, so I think being able to both degas and then release the vacuum will help to fill very small cavities in the mould. Had some concerns that the first drawn out air will be very hot, so this will pass thru the heat exchanger on top of the degas vessel.

Have installed a small window so I can see what is going on, but as it was totally dark in there, I fitted another small window with a small torch attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0939.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	871.2 KB 
ID:	342167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0940.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	887.0 KB 
ID:	342168
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    the intetcooler ?

Bike
    husaberg
    the intetcooler ?
    Inlets look pretty small for that maybe oil or trans?

I have been meaning to ask why the special heads for the Subaru i assumed they were 4v or something but they are 2v?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    It was an oil cooler, 1/2 inch BSP fittings. Must be 35 years old....jeezuz that long ?? fuck, where has my life gone ?????
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Inlets look pretty small for that maybe oil or trans?

I have been meaning to ask why the special heads for the Subaru i assumed they were 4v or something but they are 2v?
    Original Subaru heads are Siamese porting in and out. New heads put in a port for each valve allowing for tuned inlet and exhaust. Original standard E81 75 HP , with after market heads ( SUB4 ) 130 HP, no extra revs. Much higher BMEP. Turbo version in excess of 160HP and will last 1000 hours. Robust bottom end so long as you don't exceed 6000 RPM. Three bearing crank and pushrods.
    Uck, but work well on gyro's, being a short and narrow (relatively) power unit.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    It was an oil cooler, 1/2 inch BSP fittings. Must be 35 years old....jeezuz that long ?? fuck, where has my life gone ?????
    are you using it as an intercooler?

Bike
    husaberg
    Original Subaru heads are Siamese porting in and out. New heads put in a port for each valve allowing for tuned inlet and exhaust. Original standard E81 75 HP , with after market heads ( SUB4 ) 130 HP, no extra revs. Much higher BMEP. Turbo version in excess of 160HP and will last 1000 hours. Robust bottom end so long as you don't exceed 6000 RPM. Three bearing crank and pushrods.
    Uck, but work well on gyro's, being a short and narrow (relatively) power unit.
    Cheers, the done thing when i was young used to be to put a 12A in place on the old Leones's.
    I remember a mate had a Brumby ute it was taped out about 120KPH, the only thng slower was a Suzuki 410.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Had a semi successful cast today. Must remember, old bits of alloy that is being used as remelt material that have been laying around outside, with blind taped holes, check for moisure content. Lost a not insignificant amount of molten alloy today as there was a small eruption. Roof caught it and returned it to the floor. Had to run around and put out a few small fires after that. Need to pre heat this stuff, naughty me, lucky no one seen it.

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Now you need an old pottery kiln, a cheap timer and a goldfish pond for quenching - Then you can do your own heat treatment.
    Bringing the pond up to quench temperature (close to boiling) might be hard on the goldfish and expensive for power (maybe if in NZ you could use a geothermal spring that is already hot). Colder quenchant will give higher mechanical properties but with more locked-in stress. Industrial quenching often uses heated liquids like glycol-based fluids (IIRC) that give a more controlled heat transfer into the fluid. -T7 loses a bit of mechanical property but also has lower internal stresses that might cause a casting to shift during machining or use and it seems to get used on some expensive aerospace castings.

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    none
    You're quite right about the goldfish Michael. May I suggest salmon or trout? (after anesthetizing them first of course).

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    Bringing the pond up to quench temperature (close to boiling) might be hard on the goldfish and expensive for power (maybe if in NZ you could use a geothermal spring that is already hot). Colder quenchant will give higher mechanical properties but with more locked-in stress. Industrial quenching often uses heated liquids like glycol-based fluids (IIRC) that give a more controlled heat transfer into the fluid. -T7 loses a bit of mechanical property but also has lower internal stresses that might cause a casting to shift during machining or use and it seems to get used on some expensive aerospace castings.

cheers,
    Michael
    You're quite right of course Michael - but my comment was intended as a tongue in cheek reference to John Britten...Neil's still got Vol 2 there which has heat treatment details incl the quench fluids.

It would seem unlikely though that Neil will be so involved with a TV interview that he'll stuff up the heat treatment times - but you never know...

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Of all the things John did, I do wonder why he bothered doing the heat treating. To easy to bugger it up, it costs not much at Heat Treatments to get done and they are reasonably quick. You would think after the hassle of casting a one off set of cases the last thing you would want is to wreak them with a half ass hardening process.
    Good television though.

Thread Information