Page 290 of 337 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292300 ... LastLast
Results 4,336 to 4,350 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    none
    https://insights.globalspec.com/article/13036/high-temperature-aluminum-alloy-for-additive-manufacturing
    QuesTek Innovations LLC, a developer of metal alloys, has created a new aluminum (Al) alloy for additive manufacturing. This alloy is capable of high-strength performance at elevated temperatures (200° C to 300° C) in as-built condition, and is believed to be the first powdered AI material to meet those requirements without the need for subsequent heat treatment.
    I spent half the morning reading through their claims but couldn't find any mentioning of the technology being used, so I have to assume it is Selective Laser Melting. We did all that ten years ago, with AlSi12 alloy that withstands temperatures over 300°C and does not require heat treatment either. So what's new?

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I spent half the morning reading through their claims but couldn't find any mentioning of the technology being used, so I have to assume it is Selective Laser Melting. We did all that ten years ago, with AlSi12 alloy that withstands temperatures over 300°C and does not require heat treatment either. So what's new?
    Frits, I spent 1/72 of my morning and nothing. When a company tells you wonderful things without:
    1. comparative examples
    2. 3rd party confirmation
    3: patents
    4: credible tests, costs etc

then don't hold your breath.....
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Frits, I spent 1/72 of my morning and nothing. When a company tells you wonderful things without:
    1. comparative examples
    2. 3rd party confirmation
    3: patents
    4: credible tests, costs etc

then don't hold your breath.....
    Sorry Gentlemen, at first glance, it seemed like a good thing (made you look!).
    They do a lot of fancy presentation about how great they are (Fig Jam),
    but provide little in the way of useful details.

Perhaps they're gearing up for an IPO?

Frits, has there been any development on the process you used, to create a 'reasonably priced' retail version?

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post
    Sorry Gentlemen, at first glance, it seemed like a good thing (made you look!).
    Never mind Daryl. I read a lot, and if 5 % of it turns out to be useful, I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post
    Frits, has there been any development on the process you used, to create a 'reasonably priced' retail version?
    The whole world has been developing Selective Laser Melting and similar methods ever since, so yes, the laboratory equipment that we used has been joined by countless mass production units, focusing primarily on faster production while maintaining fine-grained resolution.
    Nowadays you will find companies that offer SLM on every industrial site. I can't say anything about the cost though. The operating cost of the equipment we used at the technical university back in the day, was € 100 per hour plus alloy costs.
    My two 50cc cylinders fitted in the 'oven' side by side, so the run took 'only' 25 hours, but I paid with pizzas and beer .
    Who needs money when you have friends?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOS-Zylinder 50 ccm 2011-08-22-03.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	309.5 KB 
ID:	343817 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-23 IFW-07.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	343818 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-23 IFW-14.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	343819 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOS cylinder 04b-k.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	343820

Bike
    75 RD250b, 76 250C , 78 250E
    Here's some intake for engine and that company does other automotive stuff. https://youtu.be/IUp3oCGZOzk

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Happy Christmas and New Year to all you guys - hope to be hearing from you in 2020.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Looks like the thread is waning a little - I guess Flettner etc have got a lot of other stuff to attend to these days!

Foundry work is something which the average person doesn't do much, even if most people are fascinated when they see it in action! - it does take some perseverance to be able to do it successfully!

I acquired a tiny little 3D printer (Malyan) a year ago which is a great little machine, all with the idea of making patterns for castings and in the meantime have acquired at least some good knowledge on 3D Printing and 3D drawing.
    Yesterday I 'accidentally' pressed the button and ordered a Creality Ender 3 - a 'cheapie' with a lot of potential for improvement (which I relish), but which I hope will eventually end up a very good one (and by all accounts it can be made into a really excellent machine at reasonable cost).
    It is much larger than my present one (a little smaller than your CR10 Ken) but great for me and my fascination with gears.

Although gears can be used in plastic form, my intention is to eventually have them cast in bronze using the printed plastic ones as patterns - cast iron would be too much of a quantum leap for me!

I'm looking forward to it of course, but as for knowing just where that will happen I'm not too sure, the future for us is a little uncertain just at the moment!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Looks like the thread is waning a little - I guess Flettner etc have got a lot of other stuff to attend to these days!

Foundry work is something which the average person doesn't do much, even if most people are fascinated when they see it in action! - it does take some perseverance to be able to do it successfully!

I acquired a tiny little 3D printer (Malyan) a year ago which is a great little machine, all with the idea of making patterns for castings and in the meantime have acquired at least some good knowledge on 3D Printing and 3D drawing.
    Yesterday I 'accidentally' pressed the button and ordered a Creality Ender 3 - a 'cheapie' with a lot of potential for improvement (which I relish), but which I hope will eventually end up a very good one (and by all accounts it can be made into a really excellent machine at reasonable cost).
    It is much larger than my present one (a little smaller than your CR10 Ken) but great for me and my fascination with gears.

Although gears can be used in plastic form, my intention is to eventually have them cast in bronze using the printed plastic ones as patterns - cast iron would be too much of a quantum leap for me!

I'm looking forward to it of course, but as for knowing just where that will happen I'm not too sure, the future for us is a little uncertain just at the moment!
    Its a real shame most of you fellas are in north island, i have a real interest in all this stuff aswell, i have melted bronze, copper and even some steel by accident in a "backyard" set up. I have only made slugs to machine but the next step is to start casting stuff.

I need to build another foundry i turned the walls of mine into a glass like stuff and it cracked..

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    From these slugs, what did we machine? May we ask.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    From these slugs, what did we machine? May we ask.
    So far the only real useful things have been bronze bushings, and a pulley for a lathe, i played with some melted down taps and fittings wasn't very nice to cut, i also tried adding some brass to aluminium to see what happend and ended up with something very hard and brittle.

Still new to it but find it interesting. Haven't decided weather to build another coal fired foundry or electric or gas, gas seems to be the easiest option from what i read.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    You may have read here I use E85 and a vacuum cleaner, works for me.
    Coal might be too hard to control for aluminium perhaps.
    Unfortunately if you want a pucker furnace you will need foundry cement, $$$$$.
    Or just a pile of fire bricks, even these don't seem to come cheap these days.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    You may have read here I use E85 and a vacuum cleaner, works for me.
    Coal might be too hard to control for aluminium perhaps.
    Unfortunately if you want a pucker furnace you will need foundry cement, $$$$$.
    Or just a pile of fire bricks, even these don't seem to come cheap these days.
    Yeah, i wrecked my foundry with "coke" and a glass house blower that was when i melted steel... i have a few 4l pots of fire cement and on the look for fire bricks or kiln shelves . I have melted a few hair dryers the air compressor took a hiding and wasn't efficient but the glass house blower worked a charm. Next I'm thinking LPG

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Layton,
    I haven't seen you round much before, but it would appear that you have got into the foundry stuff and haven't been scared to have a go at experimenting!
    Yes it would be good if we could all get together to do some foundry stuff - it's a very interesting hobby, but I haven't done much as the situation here doesn't really fit in with foundry work! also my furnace, C/W burner, crucibles etc etc seem to have disappeared since an old mate stored them for me - unfortunately he split up with his partner and she's been "clearing out" the shed and obviously she hasn't noticed just how interesting, beautiful and useful foundry gear really is! ......... plus I'm too scared to go and ask about it!

Neil,
    Good to see you're still around, - how's the flying machine going with your little two stroke?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Well in my case, I have no experience with coal (the stuff that Oz gives away for nothing at the expense of just about everything). I am very happy with a naturally aspirated LPG weed burner , $25 on Ebay. One match and you're off. I think it is around 20 Kw, so enough for 5, possible 10 kg melts, but probably not enough for the bigger stuff that Fletto is in to.

Project wise I'm getting totally distracted with an engine project, different, but a 2 stroke of course. Have been bashing my head up against a wall a bit () , but it is running and none of the perceived failure modes have occurred as yet, but very much early days. Main issues are subtle indirect ones. She has been tolerant with me pissing off every day to do another bit. That's what holidays are for...to do your own thing.

Importantly though, has Husa hit the 10K????
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I agree with Ken that LPG with no blower works fine- I also don't think it's up to doing big melts like Neil's stuff, but it's very clean and handy for round town!
    Ken, Glad to hear that your new project is working ok must make you feel good to see something you designed actually working - keep us posted.
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information