Page 4 of 288 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 4316

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

  1. #46
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,811

    Jackpot!!

    Thank you guys for a most informative thread,
    I have been looking everywhere for this sort of stuff especially in NZ and hadn't actually thought of consulting a biker forum!

    I am 70 now (near enough) and retired from 'hands on' engineering and trying to set up a home workshop.
    Engines, especially bikes and aircraft were my life when I was younger, but I never lost interest.
    Got a chance during one period of my career to do draw up some patterns and coreboxes (and manufacture them) and loved it, but family pressures kept me out of foundry work (ie as a hobby).

    I'm much too old and infirm to be riding bikes now and too poor to be flying planes, but I'm still keen on foundry work and machining and now that I've found this site right here in NZ, I think I've got the inspiration to at least have a go at it! - I do hope that I may be able to ask you a few questions now and again. :-

    First question being, where's the best place to buy a decent crucible, clay,sand etc. around here? (ie Auckland/upper North Island).

    Cheers,
    Will.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    18th May 2007 - 20:23
    Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    9,864
    Hi Will, welcome and please post about your progress with pictures if you can.


  3. #48
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Neil the bridges on the Cylinder and head fining Is it because it is a 4 piece mold, and it makes it easier to make a neat join? or to support the mold? or both?
    Remember, what you are looking at ( in the sand mould ) is a hole ( to allow metal to flow through ), not a sand connecting bridge.

    Where you want metal, no sand core where you do want metal, sand core.

    Those connections you are looking at are gaps in the sand, not sand joining the cores together.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Hi Will, welcome and please post about your progress with pictures if you can.
    Thanks for the welcome, I'm still finding my way on this forum even though I had joined it a while ago.
    All this foundry stuff for me is a windfall, finding it right on my doorstep after looking all over the net and is of great interest to me at the moment.
    My expertise in this area is very limited at best but they say it's never too late to learn!

    I am also interested in new engine ideas (as a hobbyist) and I am trying to decipher the design of the uniflow two stroke experiment from the pics of the patterns and castings on this forum.
    No doubt, there is a good explanation for it all somewhere else but I'll have to do some checking through the posts.

    As I see it so far, it is an experiment in the development of a reciprocating (and non oscillating?) sleeve valve two stroke uniflow engine, with the sleeve reciprocating at engine speed and maybe driven by a twin crank? - but then, I've probably gone right off course here!

    With a lack of info on it, I can't see how the sleeve will actually seal the compression going to tdc as there seems to be no seal, but as I say the info is a bit sparse as yet, but hopefully as I become more familiar with the forum, I will be enlightened by someone - maybe even by HUSABERG, FLETTNER, or whoever is behind it all.

    I'm sorry, but I don't as yet know what team ESE actually is, but my guess is, it's a bucket racing team. I haven't really had much to do with Bucket Racers but my local track is probably Mt. Wellington and I haven't been there for a very long time!


    PS. How wrong could I be about ESE - sorry!
    Last edited by WilDun; 2nd January 2014 at 08:20. Reason: addition

  5. #50
    Join Date
    12th February 2004 - 10:29
    Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Location
    Henderson, Waitakere
    Posts
    3,802
    You got it right about ESE. They are a bucket racing team and do a bit of environmental engineering on the side. You only need to check the workshop and around Rob's desk upstairs to confirm it.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Thank you guys for a most informative thread,


    First question being, where's the best place to buy a decent crucible, clay,sand etc. around here? (ie Auckland/upper North Island).

    Cheers,
    Will.
    Foseco Ltd

    David at 09 267 7658

    And

    Industrial sands Ltd 09 833 7576

  7. #52
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    2,030




    360 engine cases are being machined, as time allows.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    16th April 2008 - 20:33
    Bike
    FC 501
    Location
    CHCH
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, I'm still finding my way on this forum even though I had joined it a while ago.
    All this foundry stuff for me is a windfall, finding it right on my doorstep after looking all over the net and is of great interest to me at the moment.
    My expertise in this area is very limited at best but they say it's never too late to learn!

    I am also interested in new engine ideas (as a hobbyist) and I am trying to decipher the design of the uniflow two stroke experiment from the pics of the patterns and castings on this forum.
    No doubt, there is a good explanation for it all somewhere else but I'll have to do some checking through the posts.

    As I see it so far, it is an experiment in the development of a reciprocating (and non oscillating?) sleeve valve two stroke uniflow engine, with the sleeve reciprocating at engine speed and maybe driven by a twin crank? - but then, I've probably gone right off course here!

    With a lack of info on it, I can't see how the sleeve will actually seal the compression going to tdc as there seems to be no seal, but as I say the info is a bit sparse as yet, but hopefully as I become more familiar with the forum, I will be enlightened by someone - maybe even by HUSABERG, FLETTNER, or whoever is behind it all.

    I'm sorry, but I don't as yet know what team ESE actually is, but my guess is, it's a bucket racing team. I haven't really had much to do with Bucket Racers but my local track is probably Mt. Wellington and I haven't been there for a very long time!


    PS. How wrong could I be about ESE - sorry!
    Before you go designing a new engine (even if you arent it would be interesting read anyway) see if you can get hold of "Some Unusual Engines" by L. J. K Setright (1975) . Almost none of these "new" engines you see CAD images of on the net are actually new and the problems are still the same as they were 40 years ago, although material development and manufacturing processes can mitigate to some degree.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,811

    Smile A Long Way to Go!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
    Before you go designing a new engine (even if you arent it would be interesting read anyway) see if you can get hold of "Some Unusual Engines" by L. J. K Setright (1975) . Almost none of these "new" engines you see CAD images of on the net are actually new and the problems are still the same as they were 40 years ago, although material development and manufacturing processes can mitigate to some degree.

    Thanks to Flettner etc.for pointing me in the right direction re: crucibles and foundry supplies.

    Yes CHEESY,
    I have read the book, it's a very good book indeed - I went to the library around 1980 and photocopied the lot and read the most relevant stuff (to me) over and over and got plenty of inspiration for a few things as well, managing to use those original descriptions and drawings for myself and build on them, I have had this on paper for quite some time and thought it was time to get moving and at least TRY to make them work.

    So I have the book in a ringbinder! - it seems that an original is now an expensive collector's item!

    However, I am old enough and wise enough to realise that as they say, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". so, until the time I get them actually working, I will be regarded by many as a complete "tosser".

  10. #55
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    However, I am old enough and wise enough to realise that as they say, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". so, until the time I get them actually working, I will be regarded by many as a complete "tosser".
    Hey, join the club!

    Half the fun is in building anyway.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Hey, join the club!
    I was going to go to the "recluse convention" and see if I could join their club, but the "tossers" club sounds (marginally) more appealing now that I know that there are a few others around!

    I don't really want to hijack this good thread, but thanks for all the replies, so now I'll concentrate on getting things gradually set up.

    Think I'll just follow Tubal Cain's foundry tutorials from square one and that should at least get me started, - anybody know how I can get them (the videos) downloaded permanently?

    Thanks,
    Will.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    4th January 2009 - 21:08
    Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Location
    Not far from Ruapuna
    Posts
    2,368
    Hi Will, if you want to capture a youTube video you can use download helper, its a plugin for firefox

    Here is link http://www.downloadhelper.net/

    Seems to work ok
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

  13. #58
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Hi Will, if you want to capture a youTube video you can use download helper, its a plugin for firefox


    Bit wary about downloading these things unless Norton etc. verify that they're safe, I do have Firefox though, but seldom use it.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,973
    I'd trust Firefox before anything Microsoft.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  15. #60
    Join Date
    24th June 2013 - 20:28
    Bike
    82 IT 175
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    10

    Pouring the metal for the YZ360 Crankcases. These could just a s easily be cases for a bucket.......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •