Page 91 of 337 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I'm building a new cylinder (sick of all the old half made ones)so here goes, glueing bits of armorboard together to make a male shape of the bore and ports. Finished bore will be 50mm so I've made this round center section 47mm, allowance for machining. I've cut sections out where I want to glue in male port shapes. What I'm building here will be used to make a multi piece female copy that will finish up being the sand core box ,to make sand cores and also used to make the inside part of the cylinder mould. What I'm build here will only be used once when it's done it's job it will go in the bin, the female copy of this will be used ongoing.
    That brings on a question re the surface to be machine finished how much is generally needed to be added for the dimensions to allow for the rough outer 3mm plus shrinkage %?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    [QUOTE=Flettner;1130894119What I'm build here will only be used once when it's done it's job it will go in the bin, the female copy of this will be used ongoing.[/QUOTE]

Fletto, you're a legend in getting things done. Is there something in the water over there or the bubbly hot mud?

The only thing I can suggest is that instead of just throwing that master in the bin, chuck it in the fire. Use it twice. Nice and dry, it'll burn beautifully. Remember, FTE !!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC

eek

Hey Flettner , did you accidently show us one part of the drawing , or on purpose, you are clearly a fast learner after the Ryger thing. Don't know what to make of the cavity below the port.
    Is that what we are supposed to be discussing?
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Fletto, you're a legend in getting things done. Is there something in the water over there or the bubbly hot mud?

The only thing I can suggest is that instead of just throwing that master in the bin, chuck it in the fire. Use it twice. Nice and dry, it'll burn beautifully. Remember, FTE !!
    When I say the bin, I do mean the bin on the shelf, It will be a backup if things go badly wrong
    And it might well be modified for version two and then again for version three but it's not used in the actual pattern.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Hey Flettner , did you accidently show us one part of the drawing , or on purpose, you are clearly a fast learner after the Ryger thing. Don't know what to make of the cavity below the port.
    Is that what we are supposed to be discussing?
    Opps, the cats out of the bag! Yes this is a Ryger inspired cylinder but different. This cylinder is to bolt on to the oil less bottom end I've made. It will all become clear (ish) as the pattern builds. I only get evenings to work on it as we are real busy at work (building gyro's as it happens). Still what else is there to do on these long cold dark TVless evenings? Yes, stay by the fire
    Augmented flow.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Good to see you back on this thread, thought that you may have picked up a bad dose of "Rygermania" and were laid up.
    I never even heard of Ryger till a couple of weeks ago (haven't been going to the ESE thread - just learning the basics of patternmaking etc. in my garage).
    I did a little bit of research on the Ryger (details pretty sparse) but it seems to me that they are using a modified version of what we used to call "cross scavenging" employed by our little model aircraft engines of the late fifties and early sixties!
    Then again I could be totally wrong of course!

I sure wish you luck with your oil less bottom end though, (it's amazing the great strides which have taken place in the last few weeks in lubricaton!).
    I don't need to wish you luck with the corebox and patternmaking which is as good as ever. It would be nice to have a finely detailed description of your cylinder design though ..........no? - ah well!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Good to see you back on this thread, thought that you may have picked up a bad dose of "Rygermania" and were laid up.
    I never even heard of Ryger till a couple of weeks ago (haven't been going to the ESE thread - just learning the basics of patternmaking etc. in my garage).
    I did a little bit of research on the Ryger (details pretty sparse) but it seems to me that they are using a modified version of what we used to call "cross scavenging" employed by our little model aircraft engines of the late fifties and early sixties!
    Then again I could be totally wrong of course!

I sure wish you luck with your oil less bottom end though, (it's amazing the great strides which have taken place in the last few weeks in lubricaton!).
    I don't need to wish you luck with the corebox and patternmaking which is as good as ever. It would be nice to have a finely detailed description of your cylinder design though ..........no? - ah well!

No problem Will, I'll post pictures as I go.
    Exhaust ports being made, the tapered bits on the end are core prints, you will see later how they are usefull for holding the core in place.
    Yes I know they look like a couple of knobs
    I like to use macrocarpa, I saved some wood from a tree I cut down a few years ago the rest went to fire wood. It smells gooood, is dry and stable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5391.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	381.0 KB 
ID:	315119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5392.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	447.8 KB 
ID:	315120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5393.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	370.5 KB 
ID:	315121  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Exhaust ports being made, the tapered bits on the end are core prints, you will see later how they are usefull for holding the core in place.
    Yes I know they look like a couple of knobs
    I like to use macrocarpa, I saved some wood from a tree I cut down a few years ago the rest went to fire wood. It smells gooood, is dry and stable.
    Ok, Macrocarpa is about the only one I haven't tried and I guess the most easily obtained! I have got an assortment of timber trial pieces here and hope to settle on one.

Tapered coreprints are interesting - guess that's to locate the patterns axially? - rude, crude? well, not really as long as they are portrayed pointing the way they are, but definitely not as crude as another poster here (pretty sure his name starts with H)!

Still don't know whether my assessment of the Ryger is reasonably correct or not though, (guess I'm probably being a bit simplistic) - no doubt we'll find out one day and bucket racing (not to mention the survival of the two stroke in general) will be changed forever ie. if they change the rules to encourage experimenters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	(8)            Available  timber assortment.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	362.1 KB 
ID:	315123

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Now that I have finally got my old mind round to understanding what type of engine you are casting/constructing, the great pile of bits of information floating around in my mind are now starting to fit together!

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/

CNC-carving of sand molds

here's a video on the process

http://www.nopatech.com/en/

I can see where a DIY mold could be done a la nopatech with hardened sand and hand tools/die grinder, but I suspect it would largely be for fairly simple castings without any delicate features. I noticed in the video that the surface finish wasn't too wonderful.

Of course, if the first pour fails, or you want more than one part, you get to carve it over (and over and over) again until you get it right and/or you get the number of parts you need.

With a 1/16" accuracy you might want to do this on a DIY CNC router table instead of inside your VMC. Crumbled sand mixed with way lube might not be too good for the machine.

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    More foundry fire safety stuff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire safety dilemma.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	315238
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    :

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Moving along with the plug ( fiberglass terms )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5395.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	480.6 KB 
ID:	315320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5396.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	464.8 KB 
ID:	315321  

Bike
    husaberg
    Moving along with the plug ( fiberglass terms )
    What do you think about raising the bottom of the EX port looks like you would still have ample port area anyway.
    I am picking with the angle of the tranfers they are pointing up pretty near the top of the EX height.
    If you raise up the bottom of the EX port you can fit in a few more transfers under the EX either side?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    What do you think about raising the bottom of the EX port looks like you would still have ample port area anyway.
    I am picking with the angle of the tranfers they are pointing up pretty near the top of the EX height.
    If you raise up the bottom of the EX port you can fit in a few more transfers under the EX either side?
    Looks like Flettner's engrossed in something somewhere else, in fact you can bet he is! Pity that he has to be the only one really into foundry work big time.

There are one or two others who are actively into foundry stuff, doing quite a bit of sterling work and look in occasionally, then of course there are a couple of dabblers (like me) who occasionally have a go, but still need their hands held! - that's about all I guess.
    Looks like even Yow Ling (who started the thread) has abandoned it! but I'm sure he is pretty well engrossed in"Bucketeering" at the moment.

I have done sweet FA just lately except fill my workshop with wood shavings from experimental patternmaking and trying to bring some of my machinery (workshop) back to useable condition again.

All goes to show that foundry work and casting is really just a passing interest for the great majority, so unless it's a viable commercial enterprise as well, very few people, even though they might be interested, would consider it as a hobby.
    It is quite a hassle to set up (unless you're passionate about it) and to most just isn't cool, because it can't be bought as a kit in a package with a fancy wrapper I guess!

People who make jewellery/precious metal etc. and people who build model engines, trains and the like. seem to be the only hobbies really into foundry stuff nowadays.

Anyway, here's hoping!

Thread Information