Page 9 of 337 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Foundry work is very interesting of course, ie if you are building your own project in your own little environment, but I think that working under those conditions all day and every day, would sure change my mind!

The video doesn't include the dust and smells there would have been! - probably most modern type foundries will have a lot of improvements here and there, but all the development going on in China etc wil be creating a lot of wasteland, just as it did in America and Europe in the past.

Bike
    1944 RE 1

crucibles etc.

YOW LING,
    Was checking out crucibles today and have found a seemingly good supplier in Auckland :-
    METCAST in Otahuhu. (09 276 5822) -

I had a good look at them and decided that probably an A8 size ( 8" top outside dia.) might be suitable for my purpose and I will build a furnace to suit the crucible size from some sort of refractory "concrete".

All their smaller crucibles were clay/graphite and I think the one I looked at (A8) was around $65 - $70 + gst.

I have talked to a few people now and opinions vary widely about whether it is necessary to use a ceramic crucible as opposed to a steel one and I see some very accomplished foundry people using steel, S/S, cast iron etc. to good effect, leading me to believe that it's a matter of experimentation!

I must say that fabricating a steel one, or using a S/S pot of some sort would be the way to go if you weren't too fussy!

Will.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I'm not sure what the problem is? $70 is a bargin! I just talked to Adam at Heat Treatments, he says iron dissolved into CC601 from a steel crucible will ruin it's heat treatment qualities, no question. It depends on what type of castings you want, heat treated high strength - or not.

You don't need a heavy brick furnace, I used a 60L drum lined with a Rockwool blanket pushed onto small pins welded through from the outside of the drum. Light, simple and relitivly durable, ( and cheap ).

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Yea, way too easy, ordered one this afternoon
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is? $70 is a bargin!

You don't need a heavy brick furnace, I used a 60L drum lined with a Rockwool blanket pushed onto small pins welded through from the outside of the drum. .
    Yes you're right, I'm probably just a tight arse old pensioner - taking the plunge is probably as hard as any other part I guess!
    I had almost settled on an 8" clay/graphite crucible anyway and had a lot of ideas on a furnace (also have an unlimited supply of ceramic fibre offcuts).
    So I'll get the crucible I had picked out, you guys have convinced me now and I'll get things underway instead of blabbering on.
    I'll start with the corebox, patterns etc. on my lathe in the way you have been describing Rob - many thanks for the patient answers.

Is 'Vinamold' the way to go for all the intricate inner passages and other parts? or are there other good ways of copying?

Cheers,
    Will.

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Yes you're right, guess I'm probably just a tight arse old pensioner - taking the plunge is probably as hard as any other part I guess!
    I had almost settled on an 8" clay/graphite crucible anyway and had a lot of ideas on a furnace (also have an unlimited supply of ceramic fibre offcuts).
    So I'll get the crucible I had picked out, you guys have convinced me now and I'll get things underway instead of blabbering on.
    I'll start with the corebox, patterns etc. on my lathe in the way you have been describing Rob - many thanks for the patient answers.

Is Vimold the way to go for all the intricate inner passages and other parts? or are there other good ways of copying?

Cheers,
    Will.
    what rest home are you in ?

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Rest Home.

Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    what rest home are you in ?
    Which Rest Home? - Cuckooland Care Centre,
    I was racing bikes only yesterday, you'll be in Cuckoo land tomorrow (believe me).
    So If you've got something really worthwhile to say, you need to say it now!
    Time flies.

Bike
    GPR150

Thumbs up

Which Rest Home? - Cuckooland Care Centre,
    I was racing bikes only yesterday, you'll be in Cuckoo land tomorrow (believe me!).
    Time flies.
    already in a place like that but get to the bozzer somtimes and builds things in my dreams

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    already in a place like that but get to the bozzer somtimes and builds things in my dreams
    Thats the story mate! - never give up the dream!

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Is 'Vinamold' the way to go for all the intricate inner passages and other parts? or are there other good ways of copying?

Cheers,
    Will.
    Vinamold is amazing stuff, it easily copies complex curves and shapes, then easy to remove, if babies were made out of Vinamold there would be no more complaining about the pain of childbirth.

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Vinamold

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Vinamold is amazing stuff, it easily copies complex curves and shapes, then easy to remove,
    Sounds great,- is it expensive? where do you obtain it?

Will.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Sounds great,- is it expensive? where do you obtain it?

Will.
    Its $32 per kg http://fibreglassshop.co.nz/products/view/5/48/vinamold

can be reused many times so long as you dont burn it, i melt it with a heatgun in a metal cup
    there are a few long winded tutorials on youtube , but really heat to 180°C pour into hole , let it cool , pull it out

Bike
    suzuki
    I use a microwave and a jam jar. Set microwave to an intermediate power setting.

That price per kilo looks quite hefty compared to below.

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/vinamold/red-vinamould.html

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_v View Post

That price per kilo looks quite hefty compared to below.

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/vinamold/red-vinamould.html
    True, but I bet that if I imported it here (say a couple of kg.), by the time it reached me it would be the same price! - I think a bit of scrounging around the craft suppliers, pattern shops etc. could bring the price down considerably!
    On the other hand, for an individual like me, would it be worthwhile bothering in order to save a few cents buying a kg of the stuff?
    The guys selling it have got it all sussed really!

Will.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Also order today , get tomorrow. 8 quid a kg is $16 plus shipping , plus you are supporting the wrong economy.

Thread Information