Page 104 of 337 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    Exercycle
    True magnesium castings are pretty rare. Elektron, which contains Aluminium, Zinc and manganese is much more common - and stronger.
    There are several alloys available which are pretty good but in the words of a Velocette designer whose name escapes me, they're still just "electrified dirt"

Mr Moore's friend John Bradley covers it comprehensively in Vol 2 of his book.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    True magnesium castings are pretty rare. Elektron, which contains Aluminium, Zinc and manganese is much more common - and stronger.
    There are several alloys available which are pretty good but in the words of a Velocette designer whose name escapes me, they're still just "electrified dirt"

Mr Moore's friend John Bradley covers it comprehensively in Vol 2 of his book.
    Charles Udall. He was famous for all sorts of nicknames. Their dyno building was called 'The Din House'. He put a supercharger on a KTT and called it 'Wiffling Clara'....the list goes on.
    Last edited by swarfie; 23rd October 2015 at 12:09. Reason: Got long programs running on the CNC so I'm bored

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    Charles Udall. He was famous for all sorts of nicknames. Their dyno building was called 'The Din House'
    No Udall died postwar - the one i'm thinking of died prewar '39? during TT week anyway. coined "whiffling Clara" and several others
    edit - definitely not Udall...

Bike
    Exercycle
    I had to look it up - Harold Willis. He was the one also who remarked that ever since they'd put the list of TT wins on the tank, they hadn't won another one...

Bike
    husaberg
    No Udall died postwar - the one i'm thinking of died prewar '39? during TT week anyway. coined "whiffling Clara" and several others
    edit - definitely not Udall...
    He did the Le velo though?
    Irving was there around about that time too.
    Udall did the Roarer prewar I can't remember who did the four that was never finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    He did the Le velo though?
    Irving was there around about that time too.
    Udall did the Roarer prewar I can't remember who did the four that was never finished.
    Udall took over the Roarer project when Willis died. Udall did much of the postwar road bike development I think.
    Pretty sure the four was mainly driven by Peter Goodman.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    I had to look it up - Harold Willis. He was the one also who remarked that ever since they'd put the list of TT wins on the tank, they hadn't won another one...
    Bugger me...yer right...as usual. He died of meningitis. I had to look it up too

Bike
    husaberg
    Just found too its in the second link
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    bugger me...yer right...as usual. He died of meningitis. I had to look it up too
    lol .................
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    lol .................
    How do you melt magnesium / magnesium alloy without it catching fire? (eg. as in chainsaw cases, mag wheels etc.)
    .....and in the case of the fire on "Sheffield" in the Falklands War, i believe that it was the electrical cabelling which caught fire and when the aluminium alloy structures got hot enough then the ally caught fire (I'm told that ally will burn like magnesium when conditions are right).

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    How do you melt magnesium / magnesium alloy without it catching fire? (eg. as in chainsaw cases, mag wheels etc.)
    .....and in the case of the fire on "Sheffield" in the Falklands War, i believe that it was the electrical cabelling which caught fire and when the aluminium alloy structures got hot enough then the ally caught fire (I'm told that ally will burn like magnesium when conditions are right).
    No idea but as a guess it is melted in the absence of oxygen?
    The heat of Melted aluminium is enough to set it on fire (ie like the MG powder on the risers)

You made me use google

In the Questions and answers below the video
    Q Why doesn't the magnesium (A) burn it’s not pure enough
    Burning sulfur makes sulfur dioxide, preventing the magnesium from burning.
    That might be the powder he is throwing on after the pour and while he is removing the dross. I thought it was flux but it might be more than that?
    The furnace must have no oxygen present.

it seems it ignites 200 degrees before it melts
    Some interesting stuff I never knew about CO2 and MG.
    Last edited by husaberg; 23rd October 2015 at 17:21. Reason: googled the answer
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well wiki schooled me up. Superstructure was actually steel. Urban myth about the mag ally.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    none
    Burning sulfur makes sulfur dioxide, preventing the magnesium from burning.That might be the powder he is throwing on after the pour.
    The colors seem to indicate so: sulphur is yellow and it burns with a blue flame. But I see no breathing equipment in the video so maybe it wasn't suplhur.
    Sniffing the slightest trace of SO2 is an unforgettable experience (like taking a hammer-blow on the nose). It's one of the things I survived in my inquisitive youth.

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    One of the advantages of the old oil/diesel furnaces was that the exhaust was directed over the melt, and dramatically reduced the amount of oxygen that could get to the melting material. A friend of mine did castings commercially like that,with results better than the so called modern way of induction furnaces etc. One day he let slip the real reason for using the old diesel furnace. It was really interesting to me at least. You still have to use the fluxes etc.
    Neil

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    The colors seem to indicate so: sulphur is yellow and it burns with a blue flame. But I see no breathing equipment in the video so maybe it wasn't suplhur.
    Sniffing the slightest trace of SO2 is an unforgettable experience (like taking a hammer-blow on the nose). It's one of the things I survived in my inquisitive youth.
    Someone mentioned in the video that it seemed "third world conditions" was he actually wearing any real PPE I will have to go back and watch.
    not sure re the ear protection being sufficient or most of it. It appears to be filmed in the PRC.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information