Page 15 of 337 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    This is a rubber mould lifted from a cylinder I like. I am setting this rubber in casting resin to get a hard ( female ) shape. This hard shape will eventually be the sand core box. There are probably better ways to do this but this is how I know, it works for me.

This is vinamold ( just that it's old, that's why it is discoloured ).

The white stuff I use to make the hard molds is Casting Resin, a two pot mix. This resin copies with no shrinkage or expansion.

I use casting resin to copy the rubber mould, remove the rubber, then cut this mold away to a part line, replace the rubber mold ( stick in place with a little super glue ), coat in a small film of wax, then recast the other half (to make the mold a split unit so I can make more copies ).

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    [QUOTE=Flettner;1130716714]This is vinamold ( just that it's old, that's why it is brown ).

The white stuff I use to make the hard molds is Casting Resin, a two pot mix. This resin copies with no shrinkage or expansion.

/QUOTE]

Right, seems Vinamold is the stuff to use then, thought you were just using wobbly old silicone rubber (takes a while to sink in!) - but I'm learning. ..... however, if it did need a little expansion (ie on the core size to allow for contraction in the ally as it cools) could that be done? - again, maybe I'm nitpicking here, we are dealing with pretty small pieces!
    Thanks for the replies.
    Will.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    When you have the core shape made, thats the time to add thickness if you want. I give it several coats of thick hard paint. Then make the core box from that.
    I don't usually bother.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Got the hard resin female corebox concept sorted out in my mind, but will it be used as a working corebox to manufacture all the sand cores you need? ...... or will you then need to make a split pattern (working corebox)?
    ie. I can understand the rubber core shape being easy to remove, but will the corebox need to be split to make the rigid finished product (sand core) easy to remove ?

UPDATE, - I have just gone over your posts again and studied the description of the process, - the method you're using to make a split mould now makes sense to me.

Will.
    Last edited by WilDun; 15th May 2014 at 08:30. Reason: Aacknowledging my lack of attention to detail!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Stuff is happening, I've got no camera at the moment, wife has it in Wellington with the grand kids. So next week I'll post progress.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    This is interesting, bit off topic but still manufacturing

http://www.wimp.com/metalbutter/

http://www.wimp.com/metalbutter/
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    YOW LING,
    That's fantastic, - we had a machining centre where I worked in the eighties and we thought it was great, but this is most definitely on a new level!!

As soon as my foundry is in operation, I'm going to order one of those for my garage! - where can you buy them? Ebay?

FLETTNER,
    Wondered what you were brewing up in the workshop, looking forward to seeing what will be next.

Will.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    That is pretty freaking cool

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Very good! - Guess there must be a market for the 'small run' fully machined stuff (for rich people)!
    I daresay that the material used can then be really good quality but it might not be suitable for casting.
    I suppose it'll end up being much dearer than casting in the long run, but if there's a market then it'll be exploited by someone with all the gear, like that guy - and why not!
    Remember being told way back that the CNC machines would make casting redundant, and we used to make small fully machined ball valves etc. on CNC machines but they never superceded castings!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Let's see him machine out a twostroke cylinder, ports, water cooling and all.
    Nice machine though.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Let's see him machine out a twostroke cylinder, ports, water cooling and all.
    Nice machine though.
    Nothing is imposible is just weather it is worth it(the time)
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Nothing is imposible is just weather it is worth it(the time)
    Nothing is impossible (within reason), but a lot of things some people try to do for no good reason other than to be able to say they did it, is called "futility" and is soon forgotten!

What the hell is that? - some new trophy? or a UFE (Unidentified flying engine) - whatever it is, it probably had some purpose anyway! - maybe something I missed in the earlier threads?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Nothing is impossible (within reason), but a lot of things some people try to do for no good reason other than to be able to say they did it, is called "futility" and is soon forgotten!

What the hell is that? - some new trophy? or a UFE (Unidentified flying engine) - whatever it is, it looks suspiciously like a casting!
    it was a billet (so i guess it was a casting when it was poured) but it is a two stroke cylinder made from scratch in the back ground is the outer cover. bloody easy to get to the transfers.........but it is a machined from soild 2 stroke cylinder.......
    i just put it on for fun.
    From what i understand billet 2 stroke cases make less power than the sandcast ones likely due to the finish rather than the materials though.....
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    And in which case why has no one tried using a stone to give a unsmooth finish. You can get quite a nice flat but honed finished from that.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information