Page 21 of 337 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun;1130730369[QUOTE

Ok, so Husa was too busy on other stuff and didn't come to the party! so I guess I need to learn how to do photos etc by myself!

Seems the 360 is going ok - I see the coolant still on the machined casting!

The cranks on the opposed piston engine are obviously going to be counter rotating then?
    Maybe I'm a little dim but as I see it, you will have a train of 4 shallow angle bevel gears interacting (two in line with the cranks and the "idlers" tilted at 12deg to the crankshaft axis, each being driven by the adjacent crank and also driving each other (contra rotating).these will then act both as idlers to keep the cranks synchronized and also as prop driving gears, - have I got that right? - Guess they can't really be called idlers anymore!

Is it difficult to cut these shallow angle bevel gears or did you have them cut elswhere?

Guess FLETTNER (The other Flettner ) used a similar principle.

Will.
    Flettner set up
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...5&d=1402094823
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Like this
    As for posting pics follow this by clicking the arrow after Husaberg its a set of pictures that show how to post pictures.....

pal gyrocar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1A.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	297749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pal_v.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	297751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1333616504580.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	297750  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    [QUOTE=WilDun;1130730369][QUOTE=Flettner;1130730239]Finally found time to cut the rotary valve inlet on the 360 engine.

Ok, so Husa was too busy on other stuff and didn't come to the party! so I guess I need to learn how to do photos etc by myself!

Seems the 360 is going ok - I see the coolant still on the machined casting!

The cranks on the opposed piston engine are obviously going to be counter rotating then?
    Maybe I'm a little dim but as I see it, you will have a train of 4 shallow angle bevel gears interacting (two in line with the cranks and the "idlers" tilted at 12deg to the crankshaft axis, each being driven by the adjacent crank and also driving each other (contra rotating). these will then act both as idlers to keep the cranks synchronized and also as prop driving gears, which obviously will keep the prop blades synchronized - have I got that right?
    I Guess they can't really be called idlers anymore!

Is it difficult to cut these shallow angle bevel gears or did you have them cut elswhere?

Guess FLETTNER (The other Flettner ) used a similar principle.

Sorry for being so bloody nosey, but I find it all very interesting!

Will.
    Yes you have it, I built my own gears, the "idlers" are double angle, two thirds of the gear face is six degrees and the back third is 12 degrees. I'll see if I can find one to show you.
    I think Flettner used worm drives by the look of the pictures?

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Hi Will, you don't need to put your pictures on photo bucket. you can upload them from your pc directly to KB.
    If you look below the box where you type your insightful comments you see a button called "manage attachments"
    Click it then click "add files" then select files, save in line, done ! If it turns to poo , I have told you something wrong.
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Hi Will, you don't need to put your pictures on photo bucket. you can upload them from your pc directly to KB.
    If you look below the box where you type your insightful comments you see a button called "manage attachments"
    Click it then click "add files" then select files, save in line, done ! If it turns to poo , I have told you something wrong.
    OK, will give it a go and see what I can do. Tried this before though.
    Normally in a couple of other forums I had no difficulties but this one is a little different, however it's just a matter of finding the way to do it and it'll be dead easy!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by yow ling View Post
    hi will, you don't need to put your pictures on photo bucket. You can upload them from your pc directly to kb.
    click it then click "add files" then select files, save in line, done ! If it turns to poo , i have told you something wrong.
    These are probably quite interesting but just using them for training purposes.:-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original design from Doug Hele (Triumph).gif 
Views:	54 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	297811

Well,I got there, but will I remember the next time?????? - If I apply that much thought to my foundry, then it'll be a damn good one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sprag Clutch..jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	297812  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Here's the 'core' of my furnace, I intend to build a main shell of ordinary concrete and slip this part inside it so that when it eventually burns out I can make a new replacement core, rather than build a completely new one. (it's also a lot cheaper for me to build a 'thinner inner castable refractory hot face" and wrap it with ceramic fibre') got heaps of that. I alsol decided to use a seperate loose fitting bottom for the furnace (to reduce the chance of differential expansion and cracking) which should be possible to use again if the furnace ever needs a new replacement liner.
    Unfortunately I couldn't wait till it was all finished and fired it up in the condition it's in at the moment with a makeshift lid and sitting on a couple of bricks - and it worked fine! - Plastic tape and chicken wire not a long term solution but that fibre is a great insulator (tape's still there)!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010901.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	297813

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Furnace looks great , what is the fuel for the burner?
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Furnace looks great , what is the fuel for the burner?
    Just using propane and my own burner based loosely on nine or ten other designs I found floating around the net. - nothing complicated there - all mostly trial and error.
    Thanks you guys for helping with the photos - as I said it would be simple once I knew how! - damn new fangled things these computers!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    WilDun,

This is ( was ) my furnace, 60L drum with spikes welded to hold the ceramic fiber / wool in place around the inside. Light, portable, cheap and worked well, we just lifted the furnace off the crucible when ready to pour, you can see the handles welded on.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    WilDun,
    This is ( was ) my furnace, 60L drum with spikes welded to hold the ceramic fiber / wool in place around the inside. Light, portable, cheap and worked well, we just lifted the furnace off the crucible when ready to pour, you can see the handles welded on.
    Good idea to be able to lift the furnace off the crucible - might even adapt this to use that system!- trouble for me is that in my environment, (and often by myself) I dnn't have a decent "skyhook" available for lifting it high enough. - how did you lift it anyway? guess two of you could lift it fairly easily by hand, can't see one person managing to lift it with his face in something red hot like that? - What was the crucible sitting on?
    The fibre is great stuff and I did think of using it by itself too, did you use two layers?. Where I'm situated of course, I don't think I would be too popular if it started to escape into the atmosphere!
    Guess I'll maybe have to resort to my earlier idea of making it portable by mounting it all on a trailer and taking it way out there somewhere. - could also use it as a sausage sizzle for passing motorists!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    It's so light I could lift it off by myself without having to have my face over the crucible.

Crucible just sat on a loose brick base, the whole system was total portable.

More like a sausage carbonizer.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    It's so light I could lift it off by myself without having to have my face over the crucible.

Crucible just sat on a loose brick base, the whole system was total portable.

More like a sausage carbonizer.
    That's all food for thought, ( not the sausages).
    It sure would be handy to have a crucible which would be just sitting there completely exposed, just need to clear off the dross and it's ready to be picked up by the pouring handle, just one operation (except to lift the furnace body) but no other tongs required.
    Think I'll keep my hotface liner though, seeing it's already there, it's working very well and I've gone to all the trouble of making it.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Flettner, (or anyone else who might be able to help).,
    What size drum is that you are using for your furnace?
    I have been looking everywhere for a 20gall drum for an outer shell for my furnace - I can't find one, and someone told me that they don't make them anymore, so I may just have to make my own shell out of sheet steel (or even thin concrete) unless someone can come up with a better alternative or point me in the right direction - the weight needs to be kept as low as possible though, as I'm still keen on the idea of lifting the furnace off the crucible.
    I see there are a lot of good cheap 44 gall ones around but they are much too big for me however.

Was passing through Hamilton last week and nipped into the Fibreglass shop off Lake Rd. and bought some Vinamold, very dear to ship so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and at least save on courier costs - must be obtainable in Auckland somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.
    I'm checking it out to see how it goes at the moment!
    The guy at the shop says that they will be selling another (better ) product towards the end of the year, produced in America by "Smooth On" - not that I'll really need that of course!

Bike
    I just lost count
    ...........60L drum with spikes.........
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Flettner, (or anyone else who might be able to help).,
    What size drum is that you are using for your furnace?
    I have been looking everywhere for a 20gall drum for an outer shell for my furnace - I can't find one, and someone told me that they don't make them anymore........!

I don't think you will find a 20gal drum now days 60L will be the closest. I was looking for 60L a while ago and yo are right they are not easy to come across particularly in comparison to the 44gal size. Common origins of the 60l drum are oils and other petroleum products. I managed to get a rusty one from a mate, and I know where there are two others but the owner is a horder and wont part with them.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I haven't looked lately, I'm sure they are available still. Mine got backed over by someone in a Titan truck, much like the one you see in the background of the casting pictures I post, bugger it!
    I'll have a ring around tomorrow, yes it's a 60L drum.

Thread Information