Page 37 of 337 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    I cast a couple more things today, two different methods

One was the investment casting that I forgot to pour last week, the other a better version of the thumb choke

The investment casting was based on the method used in the video posted by Will plastic parts with foam runners riser and gates glued together and cast into a 50/50 mixture of sand and plaster, I cooked the mould in the furnace which was a very smelly business, should have put it outside. Turned out that the part was about 1mm away from the wall of the mould so it blew out, I put some duct tape overthe hole and sat the whole thing in some greensannd to hold back the molten metal after the tape failed. Worked our reasonably well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000835.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	303241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000836.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	303242

The other is a sand cast there were a couple of issues with the sand crumbling but I was happy the thumb lever came out ok

This stuff is very rewarding
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    I cast a couple more things today, two different methods Worked our reasonably well.
    This stuff is very rewarding
    I was away for the weekend and got home in time to see the last 30 laps or so of "the great race", then the Moto GP (recorded) all good stuff! So I've only just now managed to have a look at the thread.

YL, great to see you persevering and getting there, good effort so far.

Also great to see that there are quite a few more people (besides Flettner) who are interested to some degree, in this process, ie. more than I had thought there were!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    I was away for the weekend and got home in time to see the last 30 laps or so of "the great race", then the Moto GP (recorded) all good stuff! So I've only just now managed to have a look at the thread.

YL, great to see you persevering and getting there, good effort so far.

Also great to see that there are quite a few more people (besides Flettner) who are interested to some degree, in this process, ie. more than I had thought there were!
    I put together a bit of a photomontage of Neil’s many many projects i haven’t put them in order yet.
    One word describes Neil ...........Prolific
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/al...p?albumid=4864

if you can't see the album don't blame me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Starting to look like something useful

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000839.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	304003

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Starting to look like something useful
    YL did you use the material from the ingot you bought in the latest melt?
    Yes the stuff you have cast is beginning to show a lot of promise. Are you still interested in pursuing the lost plastic idea, or do you think the good old fashioned way is still the best?
    Guess the plastic method really needs a printer to make it viable unless you're prepared to cast plastic (or wax) patterns in the first place - a lot of extra work to just really do away with parting lines I guess!
    Probably better suited to batch work.

HUSA, you sure have a way with pictures, the ones you put together make a nice nice neat little package, - hope the guy who took them thinks so too.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    YL did you use the material from the ingot you bought in the latest melt?
    Yes the stuff you have cast is beginning to show a lot of promise. Are you still interested in pursuing the lost plastic idea, or do you think the good old fashioned way is still the best?
    Guess the plastic method really needs a printer to make it viable unless you're prepared to cast plastic (or wax) patterns in the first place - a lot of extra work to just really do away with parting lines I guess!
    Probably better suited to batch work.
    Hi Will, these are still from scrap, I still havnt figured a way to cut the ingot, maybe I should take it down to the train track and wait for a loco to do it.

The lost plastic is really nice , but like you say quite a lot of extra work, the casting resin is pretty bad when its on fire so a lower temperature material would help alot. It was fun to do and pretty easy. The other downside is you loose your pattern each time.

the machining is quite relaxing , Im supposed to be building a bucket engine, so I did some machining then some engine work

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Hi Will, these are still from scrap, I still havnt figured a way to cut the ingot,
    Might even be possible to do it on an old firewood type sawbench with a finer tooth blade, (ie. if you're careful and not easily frightened!)

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Might even be possible to do it on an old firewood type sawbench with a finer tooth blade, (ie. if you're careful and not easily frightened!)
    A bandsaw? no? Or perhaps cordite and a detonator, my dad used to cut concrete like that.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    A bandsaw? no? Or perhaps cordite and a detonator, my dad used to cut concrete like that.
    i'd think it's probably a little bit too big to fit the average guy's bandsaw - but I'm sure someone close by will have a bigger bandsaw.

Cordite? detonator? - I think we need more explanation there!
    Last edited by WilDun; 15th October 2014 at 10:13. Reason: I felt I was producing too much verbal garbage!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    [IMG][/IMG]

Testing the new I phone 7, injected Kawasaki.

Bike
    husaberg
    So raiding Neils Photobucket (with his permission)and talking to him on the Phone the other day has got me a little inspired.
    Those who know me and those that likely those that don't will have gathered by now I am a procrastinator.

So here we go I have made a couple of decisions.
    I ditch for now most of the Honda NSR125.

I start with the great unloved Honda VT250 MC15. (for its gearbox)
    For a couple of reasons.
    The engines would likely not have lasted long enough to do much wear on the Gearbox.

They have a number of clutch configurations.

The gearbox appears to have other ratios available different years had diferent ratios.

Honda are lazy so other models such as the CBR250rr and MVX250 used the same or eerily similar gearboxs.

They have pretty good ratios for a legal gearbox (pretty much the same ratios as a CR85)

They have a very large center spacing (this is important if the cases are to be water cooled.)

They are capable of handling 40hp and have a 40 hp clutch

Lastly I had already one in the shed.

I didn't initially consider it because they have huge cases, but a peak inside today shows the gears are actually pretty tiny.

A look around shows the water pump might work on a 2 stroke bucket as well and there are other stuff I can raid of it as well.

I would love to do a rear exiting exhaust 2 stoke disk valve engine but I don't think it is possible with the NF4 frame.
    Bugger....... compromised even more before I started.

So look forward to buggar all progress in the time honoured tradition...........

The plan is to map the centre spacing as per Neil, but with mandrels ie big bolts and felt tipped pens.

Just a bugger I choose a set of case that are so bloody huge and are horizontally split.

Then design around the gearbox so need to go looking for a crank in 50mm stroke that can work with the std Honda primary gears hopefull have a balance set up as well.

Whist working with the confines of the two mounting points of my yet undelivered (but hopefully soon) unmolested NF4 frame

Primary reduction

1st gear ratio
    2.562 (41/16)
    2nd gear ratio
    1.850 (37/20)
    3rd gear ratio
    1.478 (34/23)
    4th gear ratio
    1.240 (31/25)
    5th gear ratio
    1.074 (29/27)
    6th gear ratio
    0.965 (28/29)

I was going to use a NSR250 cassette box but don't have one. nor know how big they are
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1929Small.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	304156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt250f_1280_02.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	304157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a5abf9365bf0f40cd64b4cfdbae3942.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	304158  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Supercharged 100 ?
    Sounds like a good plan

Bike
    husaberg
    Supercharged 100 ?
    Sounds like a good plan
    No after reading my post i could see i was not that clear and that was why I brought the VT stuff though.
    The plan is its going to be a 2 smoke Honda NSR100 with a Aprilia style Disk valve and Clylinder just with no NSR parts.

More like this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsw 5bbgbgn.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	350.7 KB 
ID:	304162
    Although as I was typing this it occurred to me that I still have MB50 cases (to get the dimensions off) and a gearbox

if I was to run a front exhaust, the case channels would be at the front?
    So even if I needed to run the water around the back a jackshaft and running the ignition off the primary side even backwards would free up a lot of space for a disk valve.

In case anyone is confused, i intend with some (read lots)help and advice from Neil to build a set of cases to match my Cylinder.
    Rather than spend a lot of money to match std cases and cranks to what i have.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yep can't see any problems with that.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    [IMG] photo IMG_5062_zpsce0016e9.jpg[/IMG]
    Carbon based release adgent

[IMG] photo IMG_5061_zpsa45ec78e.jpg[/IMG]
    Filling with shell core heat set sand, then off to the oven to bake.

[IMG] photo IMG_0519.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo IMG_5058_zps14c5c5a6.jpg[/IMG]
    Finished 360 cylinder water cores with allowance for blade type power valve now. Metal will flow through this gap to make a soild plug through which I can machine a slot for the power valve blade to run. As simple as that.

Thread Information