Page 99 of 337 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Gibbs CAM, I mostly just use the two and a half D, although it is full 3D capable. My worker, Phillip is real good at the 3D stuff, he is teaching me.
    Guess you'll eventually be trying 3D printing for cores and patterns, seeing as you are already more or less there? (except for a printer of course).

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You can hire time on those. The resin cost can be significant depending on what they use. Vs what you need.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Other side done, now to draw the reed inlet manifold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151010_141229.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	316468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151010_142328.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	704.8 KB 
ID:	316469  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Guess you'll eventually be trying 3D printing for cores and patterns, seeing as you are already more or less there? (except for a printer of course).
    No I won't be using a 3D printer, I need the core boxes and dies made from steel ultimately. The CNC is good for that, it's just my lack of
    3D drawing experience, only I can fix that problem. I always seem to find ways around having to draw the item up in CAD.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    No I won't be using a 3D printer, I need the core boxes and dies made from steel ultimately. The CNC is good for that, it's just my lack of
    3D drawing experience, only I can fix that problem. I always seem to find ways around having to draw the item up in CAD.
    How long till you fire her up?

So I guess you'll be aiming to use resin/coresand exclusively? - wouldn't cast iron be easier to machine and tidy up (smooth)? also easier to remove cores etc. because of graphite in it, would the graphite affect the ally? - guess it is a little messy though.

It's still good to be able to draw up a sketch with a pencil (and rubber) - no degree required to operate it! - I reckon so anyway.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    How long till you fire her up?

So I guess you'll be aiming to use resin/coresand exclusively? - wouldn't cast iron be easier to machine and tidy up (smooth)? also easier to remove cores etc. because of graphite in it, would the graphite affect the ally? - guess it is a little messy though.

It's still good to be able to draw up a sketch with a pencil (and rubber) - no degree required to operate it! - I reckon so anyway.
    I could "fire her up" this aftenoon but I'm bent on using the 3D drawing and CNC to make the rest of the parts (the inlet manifold) so when I have the part drawn and machined, then we will start it up.
    Cast iron would be quite suitable, grahpite is not a problem as I coat the die surfaces with carbon anyway (via the acceteleen torch). I have no problem with 3D printers but when I have this CNC availble why wouldn't I use it? Plus it's more accurate anyway.
    I did show off old school pattern making on this thread to show you don't need all this fancy expensive hi tec stuff (CNC / 3D printers etc), if you only have basic hand tools, some wood and bondi / glue (and beads) you can make your own cylinders and other stuff.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I could "fire her up" this aftenoon but I'm bent on using the 3D drawing and CNC to make the rest of the parts (the inlet manifold) so when I have the part drawn and machined, then we will start it up.

I did show off old school pattern making on this thread to show you don't need all this fancy expensive hi tec stuff (CNC / 3D printers etc), if you only have basic hand tools, some wood and bondi / glue (and beads)
    That's good,

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Been a bit busy anyway today, off to Red Woods trail ride. Grand daughter showing Grandad how it's done, PW styles. Moments after this picture we ended up in the blackberries, opps. After a few tears (mine) we were back out riding, this is what life is all about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151011_104519.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	793.6 KB 
ID:	316501  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    It's a battle of wills, I give in, I've spent all afternoon trying to get the computer to insert a plane ( to draw on ) at an angle, can't be done. Tutorial seems to assume you already know some stuff.
    I think I'll just go out to the shed and make one (manifold) Computers can be soooo useless sometimes. Trouble is you can miss the smallest detail and nothing will work, but it won't tell you what that detail might be. Perhaps I'm just too old (and grumpy).

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    Parallel planes are easy, just offset. Inclined planes usually require a line drawn on an adjacent plane at the incline required, then you effectively look down on that line and create the plane on the line you created as being the centre of axis if that makes sense. If it is like a pipe, you make a spline or curved line that becomes the centre of the path. Then draw the profile at one or either end if they are different, and then pick the line for the shape to go through. Then you have either a solid or you can make it the inner or outer for a shell shape.
    Neil

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    Parallel planes are easy, just offset. Inclined planes usually require a line drawn on an adjacent plane at the incline required, then you effectively look down on that line and create the plane on the line you created as being the centre of axis if that makes sense. If it is like a pipe, you make a spline or curved line that becomes the centre of the path. Then draw the profile at one or either end if they are different, and then pick the line for the shape to go through. Then you have either a solid or you can make it the inner or outer for a shell shape.
    Neil
    Yes I've got that, I can easily offset a plane but for some reason with an angled plane, It asks for angles, I set angles but it won't let me apply. Clearly there is some other detail missing, but it's a guessing game and I told it "you win".
    One of my customers uses the same program, he is very good at it so I will consult him tomorrow. This computer may have won the battle but it won't win the war, I WILL win!

Angle plane inserted !! I Beat it.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Ahh, 3D modeling, the cause and solution to most engineering problems

Did you have to draw a line on the first plane to give yourself a point of rotation for the new plane at an angle?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Yes I've got that, I can easily offset a plane but for some reason with an angled plane, It asks for angles, I set angles but it won't let me apply. Clearly there is some other detail missing, but it's a guessing game and I told it "you win".
    One of my customers uses the same program, he is very good at it so I will consult him tomorrow. This computer may have won the battle but it won't win the war, I WILL win!

Angle plane inserted !! I Beat it.
    What are you using? Solid Works?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    It's Geomagic Design, was Alibre. I can't afford / justify Solid works and I see Alibre around in a few engineering / design workshops.
    It is easy to use, but for this angled plane stuff. I would love to say I sorted it out myself but that would be untrue, I used the young ones here (computer savy) to help me out. It does help to understand what the program is trying to tell you, it uses words I don't even know the meaning of. Any way good to go now. I find there is nothing in this world like a computer to piss you off, thats why I try to avoid turning it on
    Oddly enough I have no such problem with Gibbs (two and a half D) I belive it must have been written by an shop floor engineer

Bike
    none
    ...there is nothing in this world like a computer to piss you off... Oddly enough I have no such problem with Gibbs (two and a half D) I believe it must have been written by an shop floor engineer
    Any program gets better when the person who wrote it starts using it himself.

Thread Information