Page 192 of 337 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by 190mech View Post
    If you stick with 2 strokes,none of that complicated "valve stuff" is needed!!
    Had that argument with an RG500 owner years back. His engine had more valves than mine. If it was done now it would have even more....

Bike
    2001, Aprilia, RS250
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post

Hey Greg what does the MV/Cagiva radial valve set up look like Same as this?
    Pretty sure ferari designers designed the top end of those.
    Piero Ferrari (Enzo's illegitimate son, and a gifted engineer in his own right) did the original MV F4 head design (which has radial valves)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    No idea on the MV. I note reading further on in that F1 thread that they're now interposing finger followers between cam and bucket. Those are apparently angle faced and the cams plain parallel. That head certainly looks like parallel buckets - but apparently not so.
    That guy's foundry book when it comes out will be worth reading...
    i just googled it.
    I remembered that Ferarri had a fair bit of imput into the cagiva F4 that beame the MV
    Its pretty similar by the look of it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn1611.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	327876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1547948_10152746840547715_799990722_o.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	327877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radial valve.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	327878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st image.jpeg.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	327879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	327880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	375.3 KB 
ID:	327881

That said whilst looking for pics i found this
    This is how i always thought phenematic valves were suposed to work

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    This electric valve idea has been around a long time now, hasn't it been decided that the energy needed to actuate the valves electrically is more than a cam and drive uses. AND the cam gives back a certain amount of energy as the springs return, you will find these cam-less engines run huge alternators. If this is such a good idea, why aren't they in use everywhere now? Just another gimmick.

Bike
    Exercycle
    There was an old guy here in ChCh who i've mentioned before in conjunction with his time in the experimental engine div of Chevy....When it first became known that they were using pneumatics in F1, he asked his old mate Brian Hart ( a friend from Cooper F1 days)how it worked. He then started developing what he called the next logical step.
    Hydraulic actuation - and return - of the valves. He told me they'd talked about it at Chevy but not done anything.
    He reckoned that a microprocessor could vary the valve timing as required - and was confident the actual hydraulic side of it was do-able.
    He had built a mockup of the pump and valvetrain - which he said worked - at the time he got sick and lost his premises.
    No idea what happened to any of it.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I note reading further on in that F1 thread that they're now interposing finger followers between cam and bucket. Those are apparently angle faced and the cams plain parallel.
    F1 has been using radial four-valve (they call it compound) heads with finger followers between the conventional parallel cams and the valve stems for the past ten years or so. There are no more buckets, just pneumatic spring bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23_pu0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3cFfM3r510
    I love the way Christian von Koenigsegg talks about his freevalve engine. The man is passionate but he manages to stick to facts, avoiding any commercial bullshit.
    If I wanted to keep myself occupied with four-strokes, I would definitely book a flight to Sweden.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    F1 has been using radial four-valve (they call it compound) heads with finger followers between the conventional parallel cams and the valve stems for the past ten years or so. There are no more buckets, just pneumatic spring bellows.

I love the way Christian von Koenigsegg talks about his freevalve engine. The man is passionate but he manages to stick to facts, avoiding any commercial bullshit.
    If I wanted to keep myself occupied with four-strokes, I would definitely book a flight to Norway.
    Yeah the advantage i see is infinitely variable timing and square profiles. plus dropping cylinders and firing orders at will.
    the regenitive aspect is cool too
    I remember the half a ducati supercharge concept bike.
    Maybe in the future we could hear again ultra high speed Detroit diesels singing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by 190mech View Post
    If you stick with 2 strokes,none of that complicated "valve stuff" is needed!!
    Trouble is, they didn't even consider two strokes in the first place, and look at the trouble and expense it's caused!

GRUMPH. -I think you've nailed it!........ but that's really "unintentional etching " - so I was right!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    2001, Aprilia, RS250
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post

If I wanted to keep myself occupied with four-strokes, I would definitely book a flight to Norway.
    Er, Sweden Frits?

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfumi View Post
    Er, Sweden Frits?
    Er, I was just checking how many of you have recovered from the holidays by now. Seems like so far you're the only one with a clear head, Monkeyfumi.
    (and thanks for pointing it out; I corrected it).

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Off the foundry Supplies again, this is getting expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170113_192204.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	785.7 KB 
ID:	327929  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Off the foundry Supplies again, this is getting expensive.
    Looks like you got your new crucible no problem and I'm guessing that pail contains sodium silicate, the stuff on top is self explanatory. I see it comes from either Christchurch,or Auckland, but there must be a supplier/distributor in Waikato somewhere?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    No such luck, Waikato does milk not casting

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    No such luck, Waikato does milk not casting
    You're probably right, I worked in the Waikato for a couple of years!
    They were quite keen on motorcycle sport and maybe even a touch of rugby union! (or was it the other way round?) But the "Cockies" took to bikes like ducks to water! and later on many of their farmbikes became Bucket Racers!
    I remember being a little pissed off when I found that hardly anybody had even heard of Hugh Anderson who was a world motorcycle champion at that time (1966) and a Waikato guy!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I had hoped to drag out my furnace today and do a trial melt after modifying my burner slightly, but the wind these last two days has been pretty fierce and being in close proximity to my neighbours thought it might be best to forget it for now - better safe than sorry, I guess!
    So I'll get all the gear (boxes, tongs crucibles etc. all stowed away for over a year) ready for the off and hope for better conditios towards the end of the week.
    Getting on well with the neighbours at present and I want it to stay that way!

I think that I'll just use greensand and make a few ingots first though till I brush up on my mould design, patternmaking and moulding skills, hoping eventually to use silicate sand - a practice session using silicate sand would be more expensive and would create a mountain of non reusable sand. I've not got enough space here for that. My educated guess says that a melt (using LPG) costs around $16 - $18, that's not bad, I can wear that, plus it's a clean way to do it in my (cramped) circumstances.

A sand mountain also might interfere with our "Latee' sipping" sessions when we sit around discussing art etc., (as we all do up here ) and I don't want to appear rough and uncultured, even though I may be - that's why I never open my garage door when anybody's around (except to the privileged few of course)

UPDATE
    It's the next day and would you believe it - it's raining! so no furnace today, then tomorrow and the next day I won't have time to do it!
    Meanwhile in Aus, Ken & co are trying to dodge 40deg temperatures and I've had to put my singlet back on and even consider going back to longs!
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information