Page 275 of 337 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285325 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,125 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    On the basis that we’re going to do some lost PLA/Polycast filament casting, we’ll need a "meltable" down sprue.

So, printed an extra long version, then made a plaster mould. All good so far. Filled it with wax, but didn’t even come out easily. Slightly damaged the mould trying to get it out.
    So, after it was out, sprayed the mould cavity with a couple of coverings of Silicone spray. Then they came out relatively easy. Dunno if there would be something more suitable, but at least it works.

So much to do and so little time to do it in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0837.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	812.4 KB 
ID:	341793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0839.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	815.3 KB 
ID:	341794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0841.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	795.3 KB 
ID:	341795
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Frits
    When are you going to get a 3D printer or a furnace or something?
    Probably never. My life is starting to look more and more like that of a gypsy, traveling Europe. I don't even have a bench-vice of my own these days, but I'm happy to say that I have friends with everything I could wish for, including a university 3D printer that will handle titanium, stainless and aluminium.
    My first metal-printed cylinder dates from 10 years ago and I've been following developments in that area ever since: it's getting better and more affordable all the time.

... I would hate to see a thread die after it started with a hiss and a roar and continued to hiss for quite a while, to end up a victim to "Farcebook" (as I think Frits called it!).
    Yep, Facebook is a diabolical phenomenon, consuming far too much of my time. You may encounter a jewel there now and then, but the average level is rock-bottom.
    It seems to bring out the worst in people. I consider leaving about twice a week, but I don't want to miss the jewel that may be waiting around the corner.
    What irritates me the most: people sending private messages as soon as they see that I'm online. I'm always in the middle of something and I don't need the distraction.

OK, I'm through with Kiwibiker for now; let's see what great news is awaiting me on Farcebook today .

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Probably never. My life is starting to look more and more like that of a gypsy, traveling Europe. I don't even have a bench-vice of my own these days, but I'm happy to say that I have friends with everything I could wish for, including a university 3D printer that will handle titanium, stainless and aluminium.
    My first metal-printed cylinder dates from 10 years ago and I've been following developments in that area ever since: it's getting better and more affordable all the time.

Yep, Facebook is a diabolical phenomenon, consuming far too much of my time. You may encounter a jewel there now and then, but the average level is rock-bottom.
    It seems to bring out the worst in people. I consider leaving about twice a week, but I don't want to miss the jewel that may be waiting around the corner.
    What irritates me the most: people sending private messages as soon as they see that I'm online. I'm always in the middle of something and I don't need the distraction.

OK, I'm through with Kiwibiker for now; let's see what great news is awaiting me on Farcebook today .
    I have been recording and skimming through endless episodes of two dutch (i think) made shows "HOW IS IT MADE" and "HOW DO THEY DO iT" OR SIMILAR
    I finally found the one i seen ages ago.
    How Do They Do It?
    Season 6 Episode 8

its about making a tungsten and DImond tipped rock drill head they cast it with a tungsten brass mix inside a Graphite mold that is CNC'd out.
    I cant actually find a easlity accessed video online.
    this is the episode anyway
    S6 Episode 8 - Solid rock; orange juice; bending glass
    August 19, 2009
    Drilling through a mile of solid rock; producing fresh orange juice all year round; bending glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Shell Moulding machine, further progress. This is the middle moving plattern, sliding bushes installed, Tee slots machined. Now onto the front Tee slot plattern, that opposes it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190526_132922.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	483.1 KB 
ID:	341924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190526_132934.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	488.6 KB 
ID:	341925  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Shell Moulding machine, further progress. This is the middle moving plattern, sliding bushes installed, Tee slots machined. Now onto the front Tee slot plattern, that opposes it.
    I haven't as yet seen the complete layout and so have not grasped exactly how this thing will work! (probably is my fault through not paying attention!).
    Not sure why you require 3 platens (I assume 3 because as you say, this is the middle one) but I'm sure that will become a little more clear as you post lots of photos to keep us updated in the future.
    Whatever.......... it sure looks like you are serious this time and I hope it all works well!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Will, the rear one is not really a plattern, it's just there to hold the four tie rods in place and an anchor point for the hydraulic ram to fit to.

Bike
    I'm guessing, around 500 square. At 50 mm thick = 95 kg...hope you have a lifting device other than your back...
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    pockets on the back side, otherwise yes, I can not lift it.

Name:	20190527_125101.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	543.6 KB 
ID:	341933  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Will, the rear one is not really a plattern, it's just there to hold the four tie rods in place and an anchor point for the hydraulic ram to fit to.
    Ok, that clears things up - just like a huge brake caliper I guess?
    A little bit ironic, (ie machining it out of solid steel) when it would have been a good test for your new (high temp?) furnace to have cast it in SG iron! - of course it's all very easy for me to sit in front of a computer and make these suggestions! - but then you're probably getting used to me by now!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Looks like hes cracked it, the chemistry is in the first three videos
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Looks like hes cracked it, the chemistry is in the first three videos
    That guy is a real trier/experimenter - never gives up! - do you think the rum and cigars give him the ability to keep going?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    And the last one being hoovered out. Will, everyone else is useing their printers, I'm useing my metal " un printer ".

Name:	20190528_125223.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	536.5 KB 
ID:	341938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190528_124947.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	539.2 KB 
ID:	341939  

Bike
    Cheap heat. How’s this? Burners for A$25 delivered. 19kW. Pic show them just idling, really put out given a good flow rate.. They call them weed burners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0882.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	854.2 KB 
ID:	341958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0884.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	816.7 KB 
ID:	341959

Fletto, it's "horses for courses". FDM 3D printing a sacrificial model, then investing it in refractory powder, melting and burning out the print and then removing the refractory is strictly for one-offs in my opinion. You're getting set up to support the future motorcycle manufacturing industry of NZ.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    And the last one being hoovered out. Will, everyone else is useing their printers, I'm useing my metal " un printer ".
    Yes, well ..... All this gear you are making is obviously made to last and will still be working (or at least be there) when we're all gone! - hopefully it will serve the purpose it was built for and have a useful life. It's a brave step into the big wide world of production as opposed to just tinkering!
    I'm guessing you'll also be coerced into doing some jobbing work as well, ie when people get to know about your operation! - not many places like that around these days, but always necessary and handy to have around when things get urgent and you can't get a replacement part - (but can be a hassle when someone needs the part yesterday!)- I reckon you'll be a busy boy soon!

Our little printers we know are fascinating, but practically useless when it comes to production, (as I think Ken is saying) - BTW Ken, I might have a look at those burners as some dumb kid has got into my foundry stuff which I stored elsewhere and has nicked my burner, probably cos it looked like a gun or weapon of some sort - pisses you off big time!

Anything I make in plastic is usually for the grandkids and the neighbours kids these days! - things like Star Wars gimmicks - if there's one thing I hate it's gimmickry!! - but it fascinates the kids and so it will continue.

I'm also progressing with my drawing skills as well and trying FreeCad - it's amazing what you can do with free programs these days - this one is not as easy to learn as some of the others but is Open Source, very good and of course backed by thousands of enthusiasts (so help is always 'on tap') - and it's mine! not online where everybody could potentially see my feeble attempts! - I like it, but I'm just learning as yet - I have already managed a trial print and hopefully be able to cast one of my drawings into the real thing - in metal! (If I can get a burner working!)
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    there you go Will, all assembled up. Just need a frame to put it on now.

The main driving force is to re make these after market heads for the EA81 Subaru. I used to make them for SUB4 but they have not been making them for years now. There is a bit of a call for these heads again. Shell moulder is needed to make the water cores, efficiently. In fact I need set myself for my two seat Gyro.

Name:	20190530_095742.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	638.8 KB 
ID:	341960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190530_102127.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	589.0 KB 
ID:	341961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190530_102141.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	708.1 KB 
ID:	341962  

Thread Information