Page 258 of 262 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 3918

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

  1. #3856
    Join Date
    20th June 2012 - 00:17
    Bike
    yamaha
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    184
    Im loving this thread and wondering when we can buy a production fos 250cc engine

  2. #3857
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    1,891
    ok, as I said, my furnace is just too crappy. Worked well for prototyping stuff so far but the time has come for somthing more permanent. Seems the 'state of the art' furnaces are steel outer ring with special high temp concrete liner poured into it.
    So found a steel tube at 610 dia and a 406 steel tube as an inner former. Will have to make this inner collapsible so as to get it out, also found where to get the concrete, not cheap though.
    Roll on some production casting perhaps.

  3. #3858
    Join Date
    12th February 2004 - 10:29
    Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Location
    Henderson, Waitakere
    Posts
    3,654
    Would fire bricks be an option?

  4. #3859
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    1,891
    well yes and i have investigated that.
    trouble is fire bricks (best second hand price i can find) are a dollar each ) , pizza oven people have buggered up the supply and demand economics, still need 'special' cement to seal it.
    I would say the steel outer ring with cement thermal barrier sounds more permanent. And with some lifting eyes welded to the outside, can be shifted easily too.

  5. #3860
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,536
    Your inner former doesn't have to be steel does it ? What about a segmented wooden inner former ?
    Easier to make and remove surely ?
    Reason is a tool - remember where you left it..... The late, great, John Clarke

  6. #3861
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    1,891
    I have a lineup of cylinders to cast, some just normal (more gyro cylinders) some 360 cylinders with the mark two TPI lugs, some HCCI cylinders and a few other odds and ends.

  7. #3862
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    1,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Your inner former doesn't have to be steel does it ? What about a segmented wooden inner former ?
    Easier to make and remove surely ?
    I guess so. But I have the pipe now.

  8. #3863
    Join Date
    14th April 2011 - 23:03
    Bike
    derbi
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Your inner former doesn't have to be steel does it ? What about a segmented wooden inner former ?
    Easier to make and remove surely ?
    Good evening from the UK.

    I've been following this thread for a while now as I'm hoping to one day cast my own cylinders for 50cc racing.

    I made my furnace from a butane gas bottle and used a layer of refractory insulation blanket and finished it off with refractory cement. I used a cardboard tube as the former in the middle which I peeled out when the cement was set. I actually bought the tube off eBay then afterwards realised I could've probably got one for free from a carpet shop!

    I'm struggling to find the photos I had of it at the moment but I'll add them when I find them.

    Edit: Just found the photo, you can see the wire mesh I used as re-enforcing, so I lined the wall with 1 layer of refractory insulation blanket, then made a tube from the mesh to hold the blanket in place, then inserted the cardboard tube and rammed the cement mix down the sides of the carboard tube, I'd already put a thick layer of cement in for the base on top of a layer of blanket from memory.

    Regards
    Mark

  9. #3864
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,536
    Quote Originally Posted by oxracer View Post
    Good evening from the UK.

    I've been following this thread for a while now as I'm hoping to one day cast my own cylinders for 50cc racing.

    I made my furnace from a butane gas bottle and used a layer of refractory insulation blanket and finished it off with refractory cement. I used a cardboard tube as the former in the middle which I peeled out when the cement was set. I actually bought the tube off eBay then afterwards realised I could've probably got one for free from a carpet shop!

    I'm struggling to find the photos I had of it at the moment but I'll add them when I find them.
    Regards
    Mark
    Welcome Mark. For that exercise in cheap thinking, we might make you an honorary Kiwi....
    Reason is a tool - remember where you left it..... The late, great, John Clarke

  10. #3865
    Join Date
    14th April 2011 - 23:03
    Bike
    derbi
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Welcome Mark. For that exercise in cheap thinking, we might make you an honorary Kiwi....
    Thanks Grumph. It's the Yorkshire genes!

  11. #3866
    Join Date
    28th November 2013 - 21:58
    Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    337
    Three and a half minute round up video, if you go to his channel there's lots more.

    https://youtu.be/o6B9c5Ca61U

  12. #3867
    Join Date
    12th March 2010 - 16:56
    Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    1,891
    love it, look how simple/costeffective casting is

  13. #3868
    Join Date
    28th August 2015 - 00:01
    Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    84
    Marko Bostjancic has been investment casting 50 cc cylinders of his own design for a long time. See
    http://www.roost.si/ He doesn't seem to advertise this, but you might try to contact him for details.

    Lohring Miller

  14. #3869
    Join Date
    14th April 2011 - 23:03
    Bike
    derbi
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    Marko Bostjancic has been investment casting 50 cc cylinders of his own design for a long time. See
    http://www.roost.si/ He doesn't seem to advertise this, but you might try to contact him for details.

    Lohring Miller
    Thanks Lohring,
    I've already seen Markos efforts and they are pretty impressive I have to say! I'm going to try the block investment method but using a PLA printed part as the lost pattern instead of wax. I'll use a specialist investment powder and attempt to do a vacuum casting.

    Mark

  15. #3870
    Join Date
    28th August 2015 - 00:01
    Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    84
    Let me know how your efforts turn out. I've been spending the past year learning Fusion 360 and 3D printing with a Prusa printer. I have a small casting furnace and burn out ovens as well as a very used kiln for larger casting burnout. I hope to come up with some small race engine cylinders. My first design of a 26cc piston port cylinder gets 10 hp in EngMod. A reality check will be needed, though.

    Lohring Miller

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •