Page 224 of 337 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324 ... LastLast
Results 3,346 to 3,360 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    What made you say that, WilDun? Rich on the ground will only mean even richer at altitude, where the air is thinner and the atmospheric pressure is lower.
    Rich on the ground was used in piston-engined fighter planes that used lots of blower boost for take-off and needed to cool the engine internals with fuel in order to keep them alive.
    We went to Granada in Spain, last year. Lovely city but there was a constant smell of petrol, especially when half a dozen scooters left a traffic light. I said to my wife that it was like every bloody scooter in town was running rich, then I realised we were about 750m/2500' ASL...

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Time for TPI on those scooters.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    What made you say that, WilDun? Rich on the ground will only mean even richer at altitude, where the air is thinner and the atmospheric pressure is lower.
    What made me say that? ...... Ignorance! - that's why I came to this esteemed forum in the first place (ie to be rid of my ignorance)
    Maybe I should explain - where I come from, we had a nasty habit of asking a question in the form of a statement (not in this case though), which we understood of course, but this could be misinterpreted by people from other countries (eg like England, New Zealand etc).... so do please make allowances for me

Rich on the ground was used in piston-engined fighter planes that used lots of blower boost for take-off and needed to cool the engine internals with fuel in order to keep them alive.
    Well we learn something new every day but I suspect I had heard all that in my youth (when I was so fond of the WW2 aircraft) and that was what was driving my question!

However, I had also heard recently that two strokes in light aircraft if not properly managed have some problems (especially in descent) - but of course those problems could be lube related.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Only Rotax have problems, cast iron push in sleeves, not even cast in, have trouble dissipating heat. Long decent, cold engine, sudden full power (assuming some sort of cock up in landing) then seizure as the piston suddenly expands and the sleeve don't. Next minute you landing whether you want to or not!

Machining a gear rack into the power valve blade. Just need to cut the pinion that will mesh with it. There are back up rollers on the other side of the blade to take any side load.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_212250.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	332576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_212402.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	610.8 KB 
ID:	332577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_212438.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	587.5 KB 
ID:	332578  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Only Rotax have problems, cast iron push in sleeves, not even cast in, have trouble dissipating heat. Long decent, cold engine, sudden full power (assuming some sort of cock up in landing) then seizure as the piston suddenly expands and the sleeve don't. Next minute you landing whether you want to or not!

Machining a gear rack into the power valve blade. Just need to cut the pinion that will mesh with it. There are back up rollers on the other side of the blade to take any side load.
    Surprised at Rotax not addressing that problem!

I like it so far, - has that actuation method been used before, sorry, I'm pretty unfamiliar with modern stuff! are the rollers held in bearings? - (guess they wouldn't be running free) - how many rollers?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure

Shit, that takes me back, haven't used a hob like that for years and years....

Nice work too mate, good to see.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Surprised at Rotax not addressing that problem!

I like it so far, - has that actuation method been used before, sorry, I'm pretty unfamiliar with modern stuff! are the rollers held in bearings? - (guess they wouldn't be running free) - how many rollers?
    That's Rotax, an engine designed in the 70's, no competition so they just keep making the same thing. 300 / 400 hours life and the home built aviation engine buyers consider this the industry standard. Will pay $14,000 NZD and walk away with a smile on their face. I started off thinking I'll just make new cylinders for them so they don't seize, then got to thinking, their crankshafts also have trouble with 70's designed big end bearings so will fail in short order. Rubbish engine really.
    Hence the push to build my 700 (2x my 350 cylinder) engine with inbuilt gearbox and integrated pre rotator, nikasil cylinders, case reed, balance shaft, power valve. Trouble is I can never productionise this engine but I can and will build a few more test units. At the end of the day who cares, I'll have my own 'state of the art' autogyro engine, everyone else can stick to their shit Rotax (and expensive) engines.

Two needle rollers on the opposite side to the gear rack. Pinion gear will also have rollers with the dia at gear root size so will pinch the power valve blade between them.

Screw Photo Bucket, I see they have blocked all my pictures on this thread. bastards, I guess they just want me to pay them. That's not going to happen any time soon, I've invited a few people to this site to to get a handle on pattern making / casting stuff and now the pictures are blocked, if anyone wants to see something in particular just say so as I can bypass Photobucket.

Bike
    1991 MZ 301
    ROTAX their crankshafts also have trouble with 70's designed big end bearings so will fail in short order. Rubbish engine really.

How have You improved on these?Bigger or better or both?

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Modern bigend cadge, modern rod design and power taken off from the center of the crankshafts, not the end of both.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    That's Rotax, an engine designed in the 70's, no competition so they just keep making the same thing. ........ At the end of the day who cares, I'll have my own 'state of the art' autogyro engine, everyone else can stick to their shit Rotax (and expensive) engines.

Screw Photo Bucket, I see they have blocked all my pictures on this thread. bastards, I guess they just want me to pay them........... That's not going to happen any time soon, if anyone wants to see something in particular just say so as I can bypass Photobucket.
    Good thinking on all counts and having held one of the cylinders I bet that the engine is about half as heavy as the Rotax! I hope it is a success. Still hopeful to see it all one day, but my life has been in a bit of a turmoil recently so there is always something preventing me, but I'll get there!

Bet Husa has most of your photos tucked away somewhere! -I have kept a lot of the more recent ones on my computer as well.

My foundry stuff is in Raglan ( my son relented and let me store it at his bach) but says I mustn't try any casting on my own! - I don't get to visit it often anyway, However I have been invited to do that sort of stuff near Pukekohe and I might soon take up that offer! - only little more than half an hour away.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I think I might have a sheep here in my paddock that may have a drinking problem. Twice now I've found my furnace fuel drum knocked over with the push on pipe removed and all the fuel gone. Just thought it was those clumsy sheep, or the wind but yesterday I see the fuel drum being shunted around the yard by an angry looking sheep, for all the world looked like it might have a hangover, it was certainly looking for more. This morning it come barging into my shed clearly looking for something. I hate to think what the 15% petrol and the castor oil are doing to it's insides. Best it doesn't go near any naked flames
    Where did I put that lighter?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Sprinkle some Oregano cumin and chilli and some spuds before sparking it up and before you can say spca you'll have dinner sorted.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I think I might have a sheep here in my paddock that may have a drinking problem. Twice now I've found my furnace fuel drum knocked over with the push on pipe removed and all the fuel gone. Just thought it was those clumsy sheep, or the wind but yesterday I see the fuel drum being shunted around the yard by an angry looking sheep, for all the world looked like it might have a hangover, it was certainly looking for more. This morning it come barging into my shed clearly looking for something. I hate to think what the 15% petrol and the castor oil are doing to it's insides. Best it doesn't go near any naked flames
    What a marinade...That one definitely shouldn't go on a barbeque, very slow cooked is the way to go.
    If you believe in reincarnation, I can suggest several names to try on it....

Bike
    husaberg
    Seems you have got into a pickle.............
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    ......... I hate to think what the 15% petrol and the castor oil are doing to it's insides. Best it doesn't go near any naked flames
    More likely - what is it doing to it's brain? - then I guess it wouldn't change things much, they were never that well known for brain power! ....... Bird brains are way ahead ....... bucket brains even !!
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information