Page 197 of 337 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,955 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    What can I help you with? My replica Webco head is stalled at the mold boxes/match plate stage right now and likely to stay that way until higher priority things are out of the way.
    Good to hear from someone on foundry stuff, I think Flettner is starting a new project but I'm sure that his "bread & butter day job" keeps him pretty busy.
    As for me I want to get going again and move on from being a novice foundryman to learn more, but it can really only be learnt through hands on practice, the theory isn't enough in this game!
    Then, there's the ever growing threat that we might be moving house looming closer (to a smaller place, which realistically could finish off my dreams of a workshop/foundry!) !
    I've already disposed of two (small) lathes to try and de-congest my garage and now only have one micro size one left! and my furnace is sitting there waiting eagerly to be lit up!

But let's be positive and live in hope!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    What can I help you with? I think that Alloy Avenue thread has most of the information on Jeff's cylinder project, but there might be something additional on his highwaymanbikes website though if there is I'm not finding it.

My replica Webco head is stalled at the mold boxes/match plate stage right now and likely to stay that way until higher priority things are out of the way.
    I was wondering why you never linked it in, it looked a neat thread.
    What else are you holding out on us
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Jeff posted a link in February of 2016:

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130946414

I wish I had some secret project that I could dazzle you with! The focus right now is trying to sell 7 bikes (I've already sold all my Motobi bikes/parts) and get to the point where I can give up 50-75% of my warehouse storage space. There's been far too many spares/bikes accumulated on the basis of "I might need something like that some day for some project" and it is long past time for a serious culling of the herd.

I've realized that it is actually possible to have too much stuff, especially if a person hasn't been super discriminating on the kind of stuff that has been accumulated.

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    Exercycle
    The "late life crisis" where you realise you're never going to get all the projects done in this lifetime is a well known phenomenon Michael...

I've acquired a couple of projects from friends going through just this phase - and for the last couple of years have been entering it myself.
    Currently partway through a run of engines - then get the Lyster Honda done as far as the owner's limited budget will allow (and out of here)
    Then clear up a couple of my own projects, then sit back hopefully.

Bike
    Greg, I'm now also kind of tired of old motorcycles -- the flaws are now just flaws, not "character". I've got a lot of cool parts for a B50MX engine for pre75 VMX and I'll try and do that and build a frame, but every time I look at the unit single it makes me think that the designers at BSA must not have been given enough thrashings by their customers.

I've had thoughts that maybe I'd try and cast new crankcases and use a 4 speed Sportster transmission to move the output sprocket to the side away from the clutch. It might even be possible to center the engine in the frame, what a novel idea! Guzzi, Aermacchi, Motobi and H-D all figured out how to do that sprocket position with the mainshaft/layshaft transmission, the British m/c industry should have done a better job of noticing what their competition was doing and not been so complacent in pushing out the same old crap, just because they could.

There I go again, adding yet another potential project for my waning golden years.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I know exactly what you're describing with the BSA...and don't want to go there thanks.

I suspect that banning myself from forums might help the situation as all the forums do is give you ideas....

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Greg, I'm now also kind of tired of old motorcycles -- the flaws are now just flaws, not "character". .......... the British m/c industry should have done a better job of noticing what their competition was doing and not been so complacent in pushing out the same old crap, just because they could.
    Most of the "chaps" at the top were not motorcyclists and only concerned with the financial gains and their elevated position in society. Also because of the belief that all these "damn chaps" (engineers and true enthusiasts who worked for them) didn't actually have brains and had to be guided in business matters! - they couldn't even maintain that!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I know exactly what you're describing with the BSA...and don't want to go there thanks.

I suspect that banning myself from forums might help the situation as all the forums do is give you ideas....
    Ideas on forums can be good or bad, some can actually be useful! - some just make you want to rant!

Golden years? - something I dreamed of long ago - a bit like finding the end of the rainbow!
    You and Grumph are giving them a go by actually doing (and I know you have done) the things you wanted to - I will continue to be interested and try to do that as well - however, just for the moment some things for me (like moving for one) are in a flux ..... I'm not down yet and I do know things will rally!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Greg, I'm now also kind of tired of old motorcycles -- the flaws are now just flaws, not "character". I've got a lot of cool parts for a B50MX engine for pre75 VMX and I'll try and do that and build a frame, but every time I look at the unit single it makes me think that the designers at BSA must not have been given enough thrashings by their customers.

I've had thoughts that maybe I'd try and cast new crankcases and use a 4 speed Sportster transmission to move the output sprocket to the side away from the clutch. It might even be possible to center the engine in the frame, what a novel idea! Guzzi, Aermacchi, Motobi and H-D all figured out how to do that sprocket position with the mainshaft/layshaft transmission, the British m/c industry should have done a better job of noticing what their competition was doing and not been so complacent in pushing out the same old crap, just because they could.

There I go again, adding yet another potential project for my waning golden years.
    Years ago kevin cameron wrote a nice peice on basically just what you wrote only throwing in a home made 4V head and one piece crank. woving from Sportsman modified to the singles class
    I think the blame for most of the character in a unit BSA sngle dates back to Triumphs designers with the terrier/Cub.
    Bsa then Clews and CCM spend 20 odd years ironing them out.
    I read a piece on the guy that was still making the CCM stuff a while back.
    If you were do a new gearbox maybe have a look at an earlier Husaberg of Husky transmision they are very small and very strong and off side drive.
    they were made in lots of guises 4 wide 4 close and 6 wide and 6 close.
    That same problem is one of the flaws with trying to do something decent with a Villiers or greeves.
    Other than using a bolt on BSA plunger box with an expensive 5 speed conversion or a custom nova box or an ubber expensive or a silly albion or a unobtanium Villers 6 speed you are out of luck.
    Edit or i guess a kiwi a tt industries 6 speed http://www.ttindustries.com/bsa_gearbox.html never knew the did a 6 speed bsa box.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mead_b50.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	329493
    Remember the works road race version of the B50 that (i think Bob Heath) used to race, that was one of the best looking bikes of the period.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Heath had some success with it too.

I've got an NEB 3 speed gearbox and PES/CCM-UK splined clutch and outrigger bearing plate for my B50. Mark Cook at PES has put a lot of effort into keeping CCMs (and other BSA unit singles) running. But while I expect that to be very nice it doesn't centralize the engine in the frame.

I know of one person who cut the gearbox off of a unit T100 to then use a Quaife 6 speed for VRR, and I think I may have seen mention of something similar done on a B50, though that may have been for a grasstrack bike with fewer gears.

I like the way a B50MX delivers the power, and it makes plenty for me. It could have been so much nicer if it hadn't been lumbered with so much legacy bad design. All they had to do was look around and say "let's do it they way all those people do."

But "not invented here" syndrome seems to afflict a lot of industries in a lot of countries.

Bike
    husaberg
    Heath had some success with it too.

I've got an NEB 3 speed gearbox and PES/CCM-UK splined clutch and outrigger bearing plate for my B50. Mark Cook at PES has put a lot of effort into keeping CCMs (and other BSA unit singles) running. But while I expect that to be very nice it doesn't centralize the engine in the frame.

I know of one person who cut the gearbox off of a unit T100 to then use a Quaife 6 speed for VRR, and I think I may have seen mention of something similar done on a B50, though that may have been for a grasstrack bike with fewer gears.

I like the way a B50MX delivers the power, and it makes plenty for me. It could have been so much nicer if it hadn't been lumbered with so much legacy bad design. All they had to do was look around and say "let's do it they way all those people do."

But "not invented here" syndrome seems to afflict a lot of industries in a lot of countries.
    Mark Cook Yeah thats the guy.
    https://www.ccm-britain.co.uk/?xhtml...l=homepage.xsl
    I think there was great ideas and interest in doing thinks different from the British designers side.
    But the company directors flatly refused to invest money in new tooling or factories that were not based on 100 year old stables etc.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    There's a story, hard to say how true, that one of the heads of a British manufacturer, when questioned about the need for the owners to do so much servicing, replied that they actually looked forward to decoking the valves at curbside once or twice a month, so there was no need to change. I suppose pushing the bike home 5 miles in the rain probably was character building and equally eagerly looked forward to by the purchasers.

Bike
    Exercycle
    There's a story, hard to say how true, that one of the heads of a British manufacturer, when questioned about the need for the owners to do so much servicing, replied that they actually looked forward to decoking the valves at curbside once or twice a month, so there was no need to change. I suppose pushing the bike home 5 miles in the rain probably was character building and equally eagerly looked forward to by the purchasers.
    When there was no alternative in personal transport, That view had some validity - but the small cars of the '60's put paid to that.

I was asked a while back how hard it was to decoke a pre unit BSA single...I answered "can't be too hard, thousands of Poms have done it on the side of the road'....

Bike
    husaberg
    If i can find it, i will post the story of one of he US sales reps for Triumph visit to the meriden factory.
    Its tragically funny.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    SLIDER UPDATE:

Been a while, have so many excuses which can probably be interpreted that I have no excuse at all.

So, did a 3D printed coolant flow guide that hopefully will aid the cooling to the cylinder head insert. Dyno is getting closer, fixed up a seized bearing, repaired the circuit board and now waiting on a new encoder, the other having seized up.

Broken cylinder height actuating rod replaced and the arm has now been cabled. From the previous running, it was clear that the sliding cylinder had a tendency to descend. This is logical given that the piston ring friction will be higher on the power stroke.

Other variables could be crankcase pressure, coolant pressure, cylinder weight and possibly engine vibration characteristics. Either way, hopefully the simple cable will be all that is needed.

Actually, not sure if I should keep this going on Foundry or switch to Oddball.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1146.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	590.8 KB 
ID:	329576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1147.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	705.4 KB 
ID:	329577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1148.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	767.7 KB 
ID:	329578

Bike
    Norton Manx

Please keep it going here, its a great read, very interesting to follow and seems very bucket worthy.
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Thread Information