Page 286 of 337 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Ive been practising pouring sand, so as to get the crucible in the right rotational index.
    Seems the temp probe does need pre heating. And I need a large clock on the wall to get an after final melt time, to get an approx temp. I'll have another hack at it this weekend perhaps.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Well, thanks to OCT ( alias Patrick….goodonya Hooser), last night I printed out a pouring basin and today gave it a quick clean-up and made a sand basin, using CO2. Came out pretty well. Thanks Patrick.

Yeah I know it looks small cos it is small. When I put the full size .stl model into Cura, it appeared to be very large. So I just halved it dimensionally. Might be able to use for some of the smaller things I am considering.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1562.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	781.4 KB 
ID:	343189 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1566.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	343190

Will. The spray putty is sold in many auto shops, your local Supercheap has it.

Name:	DSC_1557.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	670.0 KB 
ID:	343188

Michael, interesting info on the links you sent. Good reminders on the Bernoulli effects in terms of entraining air, even applicable to permanent moulds when the down sprue is on the part line, where there is always some small gap. This highlights a bit of an unknown to me in that what size of down sprue is appropriate to a given volume of casting. I know there are lots of variable to be considered, but if anyone knew of any conservative rule of thumb I’d be interested.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Ken, a copy of Campbell's Complete Casting Handbook goes into detail on calculating the velocities needed and the gate/runner sizes. Jeff figured all of that out for the feed system of the F37. It is well worth having a copy of the (usually not inexpensive) book as it is both an informative and he has a nice writing style that is easy to read (and he slips in a bit of dry humor about the foundry industry now and then).

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Well, thanks to OCT ( alias Patrick….goodonya Hooser), last night I printed out a pouring basin and today gave it a quick clean-up and made a sand basin, using CO2. Came out pretty well. Thanks Patrick.

Yeah I know it looks small cos it is small. When I put the full size .stl model into Cura, it appeared to be very large. So I just halved it dimensionally. Might be able to use for some of the smaller things I am considering.

Will. The spray putty is sold in many auto shops, your local Supercheap has it.

Michael, interesting info on the links you sent. d.
    Thanks Patrick,
    I put it into Cura. - I got my little printer unclogged today - it can only handle your design at 70% but that's perfectly adequate for me!

Ken, I was going to go to Supercheap Autos today and try and find that putty stuff, but it was such lousy weather, I stayed home! (tomorrow maybe!) and as luck would have it, Bunnings is right next door -(except for the weather, this place is paradise!)
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Success at last. Two moulds, two castings. Temp probe had an exposed wire touching the stainless steel body, mistake in manufacture but all fixed now. Onwards and upwards😆,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190929_092100.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	929.1 KB 
ID:	343233  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Mmmmm........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190929_125404.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	605.8 KB 
ID:	343234  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Mmmmm........
    I was watching a guy making a diy way to refine and re-distill plasic into a Diesel equivalent.

Name:	thing.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	343236
    He makes a decent stove also for a pom living in NZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Yeah, but my bike doesn't run on diesel.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I saw they sell E85 at Hampton Downs at the Gull outlet

Bike
    husaberg
    Yeah, but my bike doesn't run on diesel.
    https://nzic.org.nz/app/uploads/2017/10/3H.pdf

From what i remember they use some form of semipermeable membrane to remove the protein first.
    The Protein which is called Whey Preotein concentrate or WPC one of its early uses was as an egg replacement fo pumping hams to make them plump and glossy. It was also in demand for body builders.
    The Whey used to be spread of pastures o fed to pigs cattle.
    Pretty sure Gull gets some if not most of its alcohol from dairy as do most of the spirit producers in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    I saw they sell E85 at Hampton Downs at the Gull outlet
    What sort of price is the e85?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Gull E85 $2,40 per L.
    When I used to buy straight ethanol by the 200L drum, it was over $3,00 per L.
    If I bought it by the tanker load it would have been somewhat cheaper.
    I have heard that Gull are looking at abandoning E85 alltogether soon. So I'll need to get into making it myself, or get a tanker😆.
    When bucket racing embraces E85, Im in.

Bike
    husaberg
    Gull E85 $2,40 per L.
    When I used to buy straight ethanol by the 200L drum, it was over $3,00 per L.
    If I bought it by the tanker load it would have been somewhat cheaper.
    I have heard that Gull are looking at abandoning E85 alltogether soon. So I'll need to get into making it myself, or get a tanker��.
    When bucket racing embraces E85, Im in.
    Whats meths about 5$ a liter likely cheaper in bulk?

bunnings $4.7/ltr 1L
    https://www.bunnings.co.nz/diggers-1...rits_p00237378
    4.49?l 4L
    https://www.bunnings.co.nz/diggers-4...rits_p00237385

Name:	Meths.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	343237
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    none
    Gull E85 $2,40 per L. When I used to buy straight ethanol by the 200L drum, it was over $3,00 per L. When bucket racing embraces E85, Im in.
    NZ$ 2,40 is 1,39 Euro, at that is exactly today's price of regular petrol at the cheapest filling stations over here in Germany. But when we hop over the CZech border, there's an E85 filling station across the street from our test track, where they sell E85 for 0,85 €; that's 1,48 NZ$.
    We usually fill a couple of 50L drums (We'd need an exemption to transport those in a passenger car or a delivery van, but hey..)
    I can highly recommend allowing E85 for every form of racing. It costs about one tenth of so-called racing fuel, it gives more power and much better internal engine cooling and it's much more friendly to the environment. And to the wallet: we pay way less at the station and our pistons look like new after a full season of racing.

Bike
    none
    Neels 'EngMod2T' van Niekerk just sent me this useful link about E85: https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/143620-EngMod2T-Q-amp-A/page4

Where does the E85 power come from? From internal cooling, yes. But also because with the amount of air that the engine inhales, you can burn much more E85 than regular petrol.
    I worked it out some time ago for my German mates and I have been planning to produce an English translation, but other things keep getting in the way, so here it is in its original form. Let's see how Google Translator will mutilate it.

EDIT: the forum software refused to accept the ODT-file, so now I'll try to upload the PDF-file. You should be able to feed that to Google Translator as well.

Name:	Benzin & E85.pdf 
Views:	38 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	343256

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I can highly recommend allowing E85 for every form of racing. It costs about one tenth of so-called racing fuel, it gives more power and much better internal engine cooling and it's much more friendly to the environment. And to the wallet: we pay way less at the station and our pistons look like new after a full season of racing.
    Thanks for the info Frits, I have been thinking of putting much of my 'stable' onto E85.

One question, I haven't found a clear answer to anywhere online.

We will somewhere between Methanol & Gasoline for carby set-up.

For a base-line to start tuning from, should I use Methanol (Skinny) needles and regular sized needle jets...Or regular needles and large Needle jets.

Does the E85 require additional spark advance with normal compression ratios?
    Does the petrol component cause issues with higher compression ratios?

Cheers, Daryl.

Thread Information