Page 202 of 337 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    It does have the port area to rev all to hell. But probably not the mechanical strength to do So?
    You too may well be right, Neil. But you have a second variant up your sleeve, haven't you? How is the sleeveless version coming along?

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    You too may well be right, Neil. But you have a second variant up your sleeve, haven't you? How is the sleeveless version coming along?
    I'll show you mine if you show me yours
    But seriously, I'm relying on Ken to come up with some numbers soon on that cylinder. Progress on my cylinder has stopped (FOS slider).
    But wait, there is more. There are three cylinders set to try,

1 the fixed FOS designed to be run on a ryger type bottom end (high pressure), injected. Cast but a fuck up so will be recasting soon ( not the Luc type of soon either)

2 a sliding version of a standard cylinder where the transfers are able to shut right off (throttling by transfers and an exhaust valve) (of sorts). On a standard crank case. Injected. In process of pattern making.

3 a new version of standard type cylinder that will also run on a Ryger type bottom end but the transfers are the inlets as well, reed, two carbs and two reed blocks. Transfers are so short (short piston) that the inlet cavities become
    the transfers as such. In process of pattern making.

This all relies on building a sound bottom end, be it leaver arm type or epicyclic, both are built but waiting on the 7075 parts to come back from the US.
    Also my rough and ready furnace in in for a rebuild, new lining.
    And to help things along (cost wise) Ken has sent me some cast iron sleeves. I don't like cast iron sleeves but they will be a cheap alternative for a first up try. If by some miracle a cylinder shows promise it will be repeated in Nikacil. Sound fair?

This sleeve engine is a bit of a distraction but never the less interesting.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I'm relying on Ken to come up with some numbers soon on that cylinder. Progress on my cylinder has stopped (FOS slider). But wait, there is more. There are three cylinders set to try

1 the fixed FOS designed to be run on a ryger type bottom end (high pressure), injected. Cast but a fuck up so will be recasting soon ( not the Luc type of soon either)

2 a sliding version of a standard cylinder where the transfers are able to shut right off (throttling by transfers and an exhaust valve) (of sorts). On a standard crank case. Injected. In process of pattern making.

3 a new version of standard type cylinder that will also run on a Ryger type bottom end but the transfers are the inlets as well, reed, two carbs and two reed blocks. Transfers are so short (short piston) that the inlet cavities become the transfers as such. In process of pattern making.

This all relies on building a sound bottom end, be it leaver arm type or epicyclic, both are built but waiting on the 7075 parts to come back from the US.
    Also my rough and ready furnace in in for a rebuild, new lining. And to help things along (cost wise) Ken has sent me some cast iron sleeves. I don't like cast iron sleeves but they will be a cheap alternative for a first up try. If by some miracle a cylinder shows promise it will be repeated in Nikacil. Sound fair?
    Fair enough. Too bad that there is a whole globe between your place and mine; I would have loved to come and play.
    May I express my preference for the epicyclic crank over the lever arm? Just think how low the engine could become and how simple it would be to build a really compact 180° twin (we can't call it a boxer because the pistons won't move against each other).

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Perhaps a trip is in order. Just climb into Wobblys suit case.
    I'm just interested in what will work long enough and well enough to prove a point. They will both be tested.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Engine coolant radiator mounted. Actually it’s a spanker for a Nissan Patrol. We got a couple, but all were from the same shipment from you-know-where and all were rooted cos they were all crushed in a parallelogram fashion, such that they wouldn’t fit in the vehicle. Distributor gave money back and said don’t bother sending them back. Perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1284.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	556.9 KB 
ID:	330243

Possibly a tad large, with a yet to be fitted fan, but when you have to deal with 71 * (106/125) engine hp, you need something large.

Weekend activity will be the throttle and coolant routing.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Engine coolant radiator mounted. .......... Possibly a tad large, with a yet to be fitted fan, but when you have to deal with 71 * (106/125) engine hp, you need something large.
    A tad.....A TAD! - and you reckon you need to use a fan with that thing?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    A tad.....A TAD! - and you reckon you need to use a fan with that thing?
    It's WA, Will - think of it as a heat exchanger and realise the warmup probably won't be neccessary...

Shed temp over 40deg ?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    It's WA, Will - think of it as a heat exchanger and realise the warmup probably won't be neccessary...

Shed temp over 40deg ?
    Well, never thought of that, I've never experienced anything over 30deg! - seldom over about 28deg up here in Auckland - sometimes humid though but nothing severe. The South Island gets temperatures much higher than us (even though it is much nearer Antartica!).

Ken, glad to see you still persevering with the slider and I hope it bears fruit and.........it's ok to use a fan if you wish!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    High plains Canterbury and even though it hasn't been a very good summer, my shed's been over 40 deg a couple of times.
    I just walk slowly indoors and sit in the cool. Too old for that sort of heat now.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Well, never thought of that, I've never experienced anything over 30deg! - seldom over about 28deg up here in Auckland - sometimes humid though but nothing severe. The South Island gets temperatures much higher than us (even though it is much nearer Antartica!).
    Glad to see you still persevering with the slider and I hope it bears fruit and.........it's ok to use a fan if you wish!
    Shit Will we get over 40 just down the road from here regulariy in summer with high humidity as well. (not this summer though)
    to be fair though, that same valley can get down to -12 in winter.
    that reallly takes you breath away.
    the further south you go the longer the day length is in summer opposite in winter though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Shit Will we get over 40 just down the road from here regulariy in summer with high humidity as well. (not this summer though)
    to be fair though, that same valley can get down to -12 in winter.
    that reallly takes you breath away.
    the further south you go the longer the day length is in summer opposite in winter though.
    We get less than a week of light frost each year also, never officially under zero deg. and..... nestled under the Maungarei volcano (Mt Wellington) is the Mt Wellington kart track! we've got everything (including 48 or so volcanoes!) - wonderful place Auckland, volcanic paradise!

Hang on! this all started because Ken was describing his test bed setup!! - sorry Ken.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Not much on the foundry front at the moment and the backbone of the thread (Flettner) hasn't got much time to keep it going by himself!

I have been able to put in one or two posts on the foundry stuff in the past, but family life has taken over and the pressure on me has become too great - at one stage I thought that I'd have to quit altogether, but I have been (conditionally) reprieved and given the chance to downsize yet again (lucky me!).

So I will be working in a space of 5m x 2m, but it won't be totally cramped as it seems that I will be getting rid of my life collection of junk (so called by some). Neil can testify as to just how cramped it actually was before, so maybe I should comply! Of course the foundry will be operating outside but there is not a helluva lot of space out there either, luckily I've got good neighbours!

I will keep my tiny lathe, pedestal drill, grinder, hacksaw, bandsaw and scroll saw, engraver, welders, not forgetting my furnace and essential equipment needed for that! plus all the other supporting crap, half of it will be under the bench of course ...... maybe it will still be cramped!
    I just can't quit, but I need to be able to move, so everything will have to be super organized, something which I'm not great at!

Hope I will soon have the chance to do a couple of posts on what I have managed to cast.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    That Neil gets around doesn't he - likes to put a face to the name. Watch out Frits.

Two moves back I was working out of a space around 5 X 2m - with a bench down one side holding the lathe and drill press.

Built a Domiracer and an F3 bike in there....

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    ........I was working out of a space around 5 X 2m - with a bench down one side holding the lathe and drill press.
    There you go, there's hope for me yet ....... but I've got to start making plans for a workshop when I move into the rest home! - how about the excuse of mobility scooter repairs? - some people can demand prayer rooms (and get them), so why not a workshop? - uh yeah, that's right ........OSH!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI

eek

That Neil gets around doesn't he - likes to put a face to the name. Watch out Frits.

Two moves back I was working out of a space around 5 X 2m - with a bench down one side holding the lathe and drill press.

I like to know what I'm dealing with

Thread Information