Page 274 of 337 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324 ... LastLast
Results 4,096 to 4,110 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Here's a DIY 90 degree conversion done by an Aermacchi owner and a cross section of an angled carb (maybe VFR or similar?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barber3 169 (Large).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	341617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrossSection.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	341618  

Bike
    husaberg
    Thats pretty neat.
    Here is one of the set ups originally used on the Daytona BOTT wining Quanatell Norton
    Amal MK 2s with Amal matchbox remote floats added. no good for full downdraft though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ian_co12.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	341619

Initial attempts to run a fuel injection system were disastrous, best described by Gary Flood as impossible to map to be suitable for track use, and likened it to an on/off system - with no in between ! Amal 40mm Concentric Mk 2 carburettors were fitted to get some power output figures, and worked reasonably well, but the original design provided a poor down draft angle for the intake duct owing to the original requirement being that the engine should be also suitable for road useage. The team modified the intake to create a greatly increased down draft, thus making fuel injection a necessity. Kieth Duckworth had a system built up by Cosworth technicians that proved to be totally satisfactory in terms of power delivery and throttle control. Cam profiles were originally lifted straight from the Cosworth DVA engine, with valve lifts and durations being equal, exhaust and intake, and set at 102 degrees maximum lift both. Maximum valve lifts were 10.4 mm, and at 1mm lift, durations were 274 degrees. Later Gary Flood changed these settings to give intake full lift at 98 degrees ATDC, but despite this early opening, no problem was ever found with valve to piston clearance. Later the intake cam was changed to one developed by John Judd when working with the Williams F1 team, which gave 1.5mm more peak lift.
    https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonC...n.13430/page-4

that pic of the factory Downdraft raises an intersting point whats to stop a CV carb being converted to slide for say Grumps bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post

that pic of the factory Downdraft raises an intersting point whats to stop a CV carb being converted to slide for say Grumps bike?
    Look at the progression circuits in the cutaway pic Michael posted. They rely on the butterfly valve to regulate airspeed over the various openings.
    I did look at it as a possibilty at one point - but then the Keihins turned up at a giveaway price.

I might actually move things around this weekend and try for a firing. I'm held up on the piece of Brit iron till next week anyway.
    edit - not actually a foundry firing, LOL. wrong thread.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Look at the progression circuits in the cutaway pic Michael posted. They rely on the butterfly valve to regulate airspeed over the various openings.
    I did look at it as a possibilty at one point - but then the Keihins turned up at a giveaway price.

I might actually move things around this weekend and try for a firing. I'm held up on the piece of Brit iron till next week anyway.
    edit - not actually a foundry firing, LOL. wrong thread.

You are right i never considered that.
    Thats not to say it couldn't be worked around.
    when you first suggested it, the only think i could come up with was some Weber 28/28
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    METAL SPLASHING.

Well, finally cranked up my furnace. LPG fired. Had to muck around a bit with jets and air holes on some old burner I had kicking around, but anyway it now works. Took around 15 – 20 mins to get a melt going. All the lift out tongs etc worked.
    The refrigerator compressor is there so I can use it for both degassing some investment moulds we might be making and also possibly the actual melt after pouring as these work really well as vacuum pumps. Just a drop of oil into the intake tube each time it is used. Cheap as chips (or chups for you kiwis...)

Name:	DSC_0821.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	841.2 KB 
ID:	341728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0820.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	846.9 KB 
ID:	341727
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    METAL SPLASHING.
    Hi Ken

Had you heard the company that was partly owned by orbital was dd the ECU and other Development for KTM on the 2T EFI.
    They were also working directly with orbital earlier on.

Most were very surprised when KTM revealed that they had been working on a replacement for the carburetor since 2004. But any forward-looking company would be doing this. With impending emissions regulations coming and the entire automotive industry going in this direction, it was not a matter of if, but when? The outright advantage of a two-stroke engine design, in off-road motorcycle applications has been simplicity. In 2004 nothing could be more simplistic than a carburetor, but FI was coming, like it or not.
    n the early stages KTM chose a slightly different route. They predicted that Direct Injection would be the right path for the two-stroke, more from an emissions standpoint. Emissions was the sole driving force at this time and again even now from KTM’s view. Direct injection is shooting the fuel into a closed combustion chamber after the piston had closed off the exhaust port. That way there was no excess unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust and in doing so making the exhaust gasses “dirty”. At the time a company called Orbital was the leader in direct injection. It had successfully implemented its technology for direct injection onto outboard boat engines and had even begun to work on snow mobile applications. KTM chose to work with Orbital using its technology.
    https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/...beKdcIoCFFS.97

. In partnership with Synerjet the ECU was developed and tuned and that has been the difficult part in getting a base system to work
    https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...ivcapid=715705
    https://nz.linkedin.com/company/synerject-llc
    https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/201511...tc2yjtyjrw.pdf
    https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/...V67rCURc2Z1.99

Synerject used to have a pretty nice website with al sorts of stuff on it but it not in operation now.
    ps how does the vacuum degassing work a ceramic coated tube?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Hi Ken, Had you heard the company that was partly owned by orbital was dd the ECU and other Development for KTM on the 2T EFI. They were also working directly with orbital earlier on.
    https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/...beKdcIoCFFS.97
    Seeing those KTM TPI pictures again I was struck by their cooling layout. There's a coolant path from the cases, past both sides of the exhaust duct (that's fine) straight to the coolant exit hose. But there's no coolant flow to speak of in the rear part of the cylinder. And worst of all, there's a big air bubble in the head that can't go anywhere, depriving the spark plug from getting rid of its heat.
    The last pre-TPI models already had the same layout, so apparently nobody has yet managed to keep the throttle open long enough for any guarantee claims to emerge. Still, if it were my engine...

Name:	KTM-TPI cylinders-02.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	341730 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM cooling.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	341729

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Hooser,
    Would be wrong of me to comment too much on the Synerject thing cos I wasn’t too close to that at the time, me leaving Orbital in 2001. However, I’ll ask some buddies who will know more. I personally thought the KTM guys would have done the final mapping and sign off, the bike being “their” product.

As you might have guessed I have a TPI, as an old fart thrill machine. Nice & wonderful under power, but to me a bit of a pig under light loads. A real chain snatcher under light load and de-acceleration. It sort of comes back to the issues being faced, and hopefully addressed, by TeeZee. Establishing, or really predicting, the amount of air (oxygen) in the cylinder after EPC such that it can be given the appropriate amount of fuel is the issue. I do not remember this being such as issue with the DI bikes that I rode. Dunno how Neil's and/or was it Nathan 88's bikes performed.

As to vacuum degassing, I don’t think one will ever get close to an absolute vacuum, but even at a part vacuum one can see bubbles arising from wet plaster mixes. It is not a new concept in foundries for certain applications, however it is complex and that’s why people degas with submerged tablets or bubble nitrogen through (as we do with our pistons). In answer to your question, many things are porous so this makes it hard to attain anywhere a full vacuum.

As an example of this, virtually all kitchen cabinets are now made using flat bed CNC routers. This process typically involves using either plain or melamine coated MDF sheets. To hold these sheets down, which usually have been programmed to maximise the nesting for each sheet, they don’t use conventional clamping because there is no space for the clamps and they will interfere with the tool path anyway. The sheets are laid down on another MDF sheet which has its underside exposed to vacuum via a large flow vacuum pump. The porosity of the lower sheet is such that it can create enough through flow, creating sufficient clamping force by air pressure acting on the sheet being machined. The point being is that even the seemingly solid MDF is actually porous.

Frits, just saw your post. Yep, things could be a lot better wrt the total barrel/head cooling path. All going well, this is something we're working on for the first cast job. Fun only.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Weird. Can you close off the inlets at the front of the head so the path is at least forced to head at least a bit in the right path? A mate has just bought a new 300, he and another were talking about the flat spot. Fortunately they got the carb version so a needle should help.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Hooser,
    Would be wrong of me to comment too much on the Synerject thing cos I wasn’t too close to that at the time, me leaving Orbital in 2001. However, I’ll ask some buddies who will know more. I personally thought the KTM guys would have done the final mapping and sign off, the bike being “their” product.

As you might have guessed I have a TPI, as an old fart thrill machine. Nice & wonderful under power, but to me a bit of a pig under light loads. A real chain snatcher under light load and de-acceleration. It sort of comes back to the issues being faced, and hopefully addressed, by TeeZee. Establishing, or really predicting, the amount of air (oxygen) in the cylinder after EPC such that it can be given the appropriate amount of fuel is the issue. I do not remember this being such as issue with the DI bikes that I rode. Dunno how Neil's and/or was it Nathan 88's bikes performed.

As to vacuum degassing, I don’t think one will ever get close to an absolute vacuum, but even at a part vacuum one can see bubbles arising from wet plaster mixes. It is not a new concept in foundries for certain applications, however it is complex and that’s why people degas with submerged tablets or bubble nitrogen through (as we do with our pistons). In answer to your question, many things are porous so this makes it hard to attain anywhere a full vacuum.

As an example of this, virtually all kitchen cabinets are now made using flat bed CNC routers. This process typically involves using either plain or melamine coated MDF sheets. To hold these sheets down, which usually have been programmed to maximise the nesting for each sheet, they don’t use conventional clamping because there is no space for the clamps and they will interfere with the tool path anyway. The sheets are laid down on another MDF sheet which has its underside exposed to vacuum via a large flow vacuum pump. The porosity of the lower sheet is such that it can create enough through flow, creating sufficient clamping force by air pressure acting on the sheet being machined. The point being is that even the seemingly solid MDF is actually porous.

Frits, just saw your post. Yep, things could be a lot better wrt the total barrel/head cooling path. All going well, this is something we're working on for the first cast job. Fun only.
    I didnt think it was nefarious with the Orbitial connection just the small world nature and the fact such a big company such as KTM was in essence farming out most of the R&D.
    I know this happens even with Honda on some stuff but not i thought the secret squirrel stuff, But the way KTM was initially talking it was their own work.
    But it seems they were out of their depth and unwilling or unable to get their feet wet.
    in the article the telling point was that one of the two stroke fans on the team said he would give up riding two strokes if the DI one was adopted as it was. That hints all was not well with the DI prototypes even after 10 years.

So you degas as you would with silicon in a enclosed pot chamber?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I think I've shown a picture of the 360's head cooling lay out. All water must pass out of the head via the sparkplug root. Lots of slots around the head just above the squish area forces the water to enter the head cavity evenly from all round the head. I would put a picture up again but my IT guy has put all my historical pictures up on the clouds, wind must have blown as I can't find them now.
    I would take a new picture but the head is all securely bolted up now so too late.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I think I've shown a picture of the 360's head cooling lay out. All water must pass out of the head via the sparkplug root. Lots of slots around the head just above the squish area forces the water to enter the head cavity evenly from all round the head. I would put a picture up again but my IT guy has put all my historical pictures up on the clouds, wind must have blown as I can't find them now. I would take a new picture but the head is all securely bolted up now so too late.
    My pleasure Neil:

Name:	Neil Hintz TPI360 head-04.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	341734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz TPI360 head-03.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	341735 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz TPI360 head-02.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	341736 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neil Hintz TPI360 head-01.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	341737

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Thankyou Frits.
    Beavering away on this Mk2 TPI engine. I'd like to do a trail ride or two this winter on it.

Bike
    husaberg
    I was wondering where i seen that design before Neil

The FEMBOTs
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Frits
    When are you going to get a 3D printer or a furnace or something?

Flettner , how's the commercial foundry coming along? - looks like Ken has got his "semi commercial/ experimental" job in action!

Husa,
    I'm sorry to say that the "puffy nipples" action picture has run out and has become a bit 'ho hum' to me. I bet that today, those girls will be cringing every time they see that one!
    To be honest, it's spoiling all my (great) appreciation of the female form - ie all that I've got left!
    Do move it along and make way for more foundry stuff (ie if there's any of that left).

Me? - I don't contribute much of significance these days (maybe never have of course!) but I would hate to see a thread die after it started with a hiss and a roar and continued to hiss for quite a while, to end up a victim to "Farcebook" (as I think Frits called it!).
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information