Page 266 of 337 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    We have one of those at work. It's my nemesis. Sod I've wasted some material with that. Not cheap and a total time whore when it goes wrong.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    The Objet? He had a lot of trouble getting his to work on delivery and after non-productive but expensive service calls Stratasys ended up revising the software before it worked. Clogging of the print heads sounds like a "when" not "if" situation. I was told that for the initial job he would have spent as much money on printing by a service as the printer cost, and having the printer meant his intellectual property (the part models) could be kept in house and they can save on the service turn-around time.

Even with all the aggro and expense it sounds like having the printer (when it works) is saving him money.

I see that Prusa has announced an SLA printer for less than 1/2 the price of the Form2, but with a smaller print area. If the Prusa works well (and their filament printers have a good reputation) I'll be curious to see if that puts any downwards price pressure on the Form2, or if they expand features for the same price to make it more appealing. If the Prusa can match Form on print quality and ease of use, and with less expensive resins, the small print envelope may not be a problem for people only interested in doing gaming miniatures or jewelry.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah we've had a 30 for about 4years. Apparently that is about their service life before they get hard(er) to maintain. Software is clunky. There are 2 of us that can drive it , both managers who should be doing more important stuff. I've screwed up enough not to dare let my guys load trays just unload and clean. So far we've had an entire replacement machine and gone through say 5 heads.

Maybe I'm bitter at becoming it's bitch. It's amazing and frustrating and stupid in equal measure.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Back to simple FDM printers and PLA, have a look the following series of Youtubes. Allow a few hours though. It's old mate Adegnes/Daryl of
    "2 Stroke Stuffing". He's certainly jumped into it in terms of design, CAD, 3D printing and casting. Must find out what sort of rum he uses...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...troke+stuffing
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    For what it's worth, the 700 engine has done 15 hours now.
    Pulled it apart for checking the internals, all is well.
    Put it back together and put some more hours on it I guess. LM13 it seems is a good alloy for casting cylinders out of. They look like brand new still, nikasil sticks well to this alloy.

Did my first cross country last weekend, 1500 feet so as to have plenty of time to secure and safe landing spot if it all went quiet.

The 360 mk2 TPI cylinder is away getting nikasiled at the moment, LM13 also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190117_094120.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	694.4 KB 
ID:	340392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190117_094203.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	578.9 KB 
ID:	340393  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    For what it's worth, the 700 engine has done 15 hours now.
    Pulled it apart for checking the internals, all is well.
    Put it back together and put some more hours on it I guess. LM13 it seems is a good alloy for casting cylinders out of. They look like brand new still, nikasil sticks well to this alloy.

Did my first cross country last weekend, 1500 feet so as to have plenty of time to secure and safe landing spot if it all went quiet.

The 360 mk2 TPI cylinder is away getting nikasiled at the moment, LM13 also.
    Very happy to hear all that, you put a lot of effort into managing the the 2 stroke engine and making it stick (not many others have even tried lately).
    I guess you see power/weight ratio as being all important in the aircraft area, so they will most likely have a future there.
    Will the info gleaned from the 360 TPI be transferred to the 700?
    - a lot of people here are extremely interested in your project - please keep us informed.

Hope the rewards will come flooding your way.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Will, yes, yes and yes. The rewards have already come my way, flying down the Galatea valley and back at 1500 feet with my little 700 buzzing away, reward enough, even if I never build another one, I feel like It's been a success.
    In saying that I would like to build a production run of 700's and yes with mk2 TPI.
    Can't wait to get some noise out of the 360, soon.
    Still got a furnace to finish.

Name:	20181121_165419.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	804.9 KB 
ID:	340405  

Bike
    Exercycle
    I should probably do a day trip to Ashvegas and have a look at the 360 cylinder. I know the guys there but I'd hope Neil would give his OK, LOL.
    Wouldn't want to embarass anyone.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Will, yes, yes and yes. The rewards have already come my way, flying down the Galatea valley and back at 1500 feet with my little 700 buzzing away, reward enough, even if I never build another one, I feel like It's been a success.
    In saying that I would like to build a production run of 700's and yes with mk2 TPI.
    Can't wait to get some noise out of the 360, soon.
    Still got a furnace to finish.
    Wasn't there some deal where the wife said you were not allowed to fly that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I should probably do a day trip to Ashvegas and have a look at the 360 cylinder. I know the guys there but I'd hope Neil would give his OK, LOL.
    Wouldn't want to embarass anyone.
    Grumph, I'd love to OK a viewing but I'm TM's bitch at the moment, and have promised them I will keep mk2 TPI quiet for the minute.
    Although they have been warned they will need to do something shortly or risk losing the opportunity to patent it, their wheels turn very slowly, I'm trying to help them screw over KTM��.
    Intetesting, I read an article last year about how they (KTM) 'invented' TPI, I've seen a similar article recently that now states they 'accidentally discovered' TPI in 2014, sure they did, on Youtune��.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Wasn't there some deal where the wife said you were not allowed to fly that one?
    There was a deal, but it seems I wasn't listening, this engine was never supposed to fly.
    The good wife finally got over her fear and came down to Galatea to watch me fly it. Her waving from the ground, I wasn't letting go of any of the controls to wave back�� bugger that.

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Air...ng-Shell-Cast/

Videos/photos of casting finned 2T cylinder heads using shell molds. The patterning (with included feed system) is interesting, and they've incorporated a properly-designed pouring basin into it. The vertical split on the molds and the small horizontal venting are a bit different.

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Air...ng-Shell-Cast/

Videos/photos of casting finned 2T cylinder heads using shell molds. The patterning (with included feed system) is interesting, and they've incorporated a properly-designed pouring basin into it. The vertical split on the molds and the small horizontal venting are a bit different.

cheers,
    Michael
    I watched all three one thing though where ever that video was made must have near arctic weather.
    The guy pouring out of the crucible wasn't even wearing shorts or even outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I watched all three one thing though where ever that video was made must have near arctic weather.
    The guy pouring out of the crucible wasn't even wearing shorts or even outside
    HUSA, Not sure which video you were referring to- Think you may have been thinking of another video which possibly was done in Northern Canada or Alaska where a guy made a pattern with a 3D printer and burnt out the PLA plastic pattern from a plaster/sand mould, way out in the wops in the snow and in the dark??

The other short video? we know where that one was made! - I am told that the particular foundryman in the shorts in the video has gone ahead in leaps and bounds and has (arguably) become the best foundryman in the Waikato!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    [QUOTE=Michael Moore;1131120526

Speaking of the F37, Jeff will be racing it at Phillip Island in a few weeks. I guess he's going to be made to race in a later (than in AHRMA) 250 class against TD2 Yamahas, so he's fitted a larger carburetor in the hopes of getting a bit more power. He's mainly looking to have a good time and enjoy the races. If you are at the event, watch for him pitted with the Crussells and the other folks from the States.

cheers,
    Michael[/QUOTE]

Went across to Melbourne from Perth, to both see family and also to the Phillip Island Classic where Jeff Henise was running his Kawasaki F37 185 cc bike. Don’t know if you remember or know that Jeff and Mike made patterns and cast the cylinder and head. I think this was covered here on Foundry, but some is on Jeff’s webpage (http://www.highwaymanbikes.com/the-h...ge-road-racer/ and I’m pretty sure Mike has it covered too.

The bike is a real gem, with a really neat triangulated frame, all up weighing around 160 lbs (as you know….72.56236 kg) and relatively skinny tyres 2.5 * 18 on front and I think 2.75 or 3.0 on back. Note the single spring damper unit on the front, nothing in the forks.

He spent a few races and a piston getting it sorted (jetting and gearing), but for the last race he had dropped his times by 7 sec or so. Had a race long duel with a dude on a 250 cc Bultaco, with the Bultaco just pipping Jeff on the line. All good stuff really.

As I am not sure of the Bucket and Freetech 50 rules so this could be irrelevant, but it confirms my long time thoughts that this frame design/wheel selection would be much more suitable than going for much heavier 125 cc RS Honda style frames.

Name:	DSC_0389.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	539.3 KB 
ID:	340663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0388.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	823.5 KB 
ID:	340664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0385.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	846.6 KB 
ID:	340665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0374.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	851.0 KB 
ID:	340666  
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Thread Information