Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoei RF-1200 (NXR in EU)

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    Sounds pretty positive! Glad your happy with it.

It really does confirm my decision to source a rf-1200/nxr instead of settling for an old xr-1100. Shoei really seem to have made an already great helmet even better.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by marine0089 View Post
    Ahh that's awesome news!

How much for the solid colors? I'm just after the plan black.

You getting replacement (dark smoke) visors also?
    Gidday marine

I'll get prices including postage Wed. Have some visors. Will post details Wed night.

cheers
    CC

Bike
    VFR400
    Quote Originally Posted by cc rider View Post
    Gidday marine

I'll get prices including postage Wed. Have some visors. Will post details Wed night.

cheers
    CC
    Hi CC

Do you have the Duchess in both colour schemes (white or black/pink)? I'm really wanting one, but I was going to wait until we get ours in NZ, but knowing how stock goes, we may not even get the Duchess here Just weighing up my options and figuring out how much I actually want another helmet :P

Cheers, Zippo

Bike
    GSX11-tysomething, BMW K100 x2
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    I have a XR-1000 that's 6 years old. Was going to upgrade to the XR-1100 or X-Spirit. Then I saw the RF-1200 which has great graphics, pinlock insert in the box, plus emergency cheek pad removal.

I've got one inbound from the US right now with a dark smoke visor. I figure I'll about the same spend compared to what they decide on the NZ price. With how much I save on the visor I'm sure it'll work out ok. Plus the RF-1200 comes with a pinlock insert which the XR-1100 doesn't (to my knowledge).

It's not about the money for me. I've got 6 trackdays planned over summer so want a new helmet. I'd rather buy now from overseas vs who knows when for an XR-1200.. I also don't have to worry about which graphics are available locally.

I love the fit of my XR-1000 so I'm fairly happy ordering another Shoei online.

Some great photos ridersdiscount.com posted of various graphics on this forum. http://www.twowheelforum.com/showthread.php?p=512609

Can't wait for it to arrive. I've gone for the red Beacon. Fingers crossed on the colour
    XR1100 does come with a pinlock - everything from CW-1 visor onwards (so X-Spirit2, XR1100, Qwest, GT-Air etc) has so that is standard across the Shoei range.

Quote Originally Posted by marine0089 View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. The extra visor is cheaper in the US so that would help even out the NZ price once released.

Where did you order from? Are they sending directly to you or did you have to go through a mail forwarding service such as youshop.co.nz?

What's the ETA on it? Would be interested in knowing how much duty you have to pay as this is my only unknown.

Oh and nice gfx!
    So mine turned up today. Love the design. Definitely grabs attention on the street so hopefully does the same with cars. Best example of hi-vis being cool that I've seen. The design of the Beacon is amazing. The red is very close to the pics above. I tried to take some photos with my iPhone but the fluro-ness of the red freaks out the camera. Will try again tomorrow night.

Forgot how snug my XR-1000 was when i first got it. Hopefully the cheek pads soften up a bit like my XR-1000 did as it's on the tight side at the moment. The crown is fine though so worst case I'll fork out for some new cheek pads.
    Enjoy. The NXR's (as they will be called in NZ) will be landed here about March, we have a large amount of stock on the way. The NZ spec is the same graphic selection as Europe ( http://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/products/NXR/ ) and of course built to the EU standards not the antiquated DOT ones like the US - it means ours will be about 300gm lighter than any US imports. The shells are built to a very different shape to suit our heads, so don't be fooled by sizing unless you have tried on a DOT Shoei of the same model. Also, ones not grey imported have a full 5 year warranty, and the ability to tailor cheek pads to your fit with our Platinum Shoei stockists. Keep an eye out for them in a few months time!

Also, if you are in the market for a spectacular helmet at a great price, there are likely XR1100 specials in Shoei stockists across the country.
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    Mv Agusta F4
    I have a XR-1000 that's 6 years old. Was going to upgrade to the XR-1100 or X-Spirit. Then I saw the RF-1200 which has great graphics, pinlock insert in the box, plus emergency cheek pad removal.

I've got one inbound from the US right now with a dark smoke visor. I figure I'll about the same spend compared to what they decide on the NZ price. With how much I save on the visor I'm sure it'll work out ok. Plus the RF-1200 comes with a pinlock insert which the XR-1100 doesn't (to my knowledge).

It's not about the money for me. I've got 6 trackdays planned over summer so want a new helmet. I'd rather buy now from overseas vs who knows when for an XR-1200.. I also don't have to worry about which graphics are available locally.

I love the fit of my XR-1000 so I'm fairly happy ordering another Shoei online.

Some great photos ridersdiscount.com posted of various graphics on this forum.

Can't wait for it to arrive. I've gone for the red Beacon. Fingers crossed on the colour

Those are some mean as helmets mate.
    Last edited by Gremlin; 18th December 2013 at 16:12. Reason: Quoted Embedded Media Removed

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRacer37 View Post
    XR1100 does come with a pinlock - everything from CW-1 visor onwards (so X-Spirit2, XR1100, Qwest, GT-Air etc) has so that is standard across the Shoei range.
    I thought you got the pinlock compatible visor but still had to buy the insert. Great if that's included on the XR-1100 too.

Enjoy. The NXR's (as they will be called in NZ) will be landed here about March, we have a large amount of stock on the way.
    This is great news. Hope you price them in line with the outgoing XR-1100. The RF-1200/NXR is a big upgrade on the XR-1000. Can't compare to the XR-1100 but in the US the RF-1200 is getting glowing reviews.

The NZ spec is the same graphic selection as Europe ( http://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/products/NXR/ ) and of course built to the EU standards not the antiquated DOT ones like the US - it means ours will be about 300gm lighter than any US imports.
    I cannot believe the small (or any size to be honest) RF-1200 could be anywhere near 300gm lighter in the NXR version. It would be lighter than ANY other helmet on the market if that were the case. 30gm I could believe if they reinforce the shell a little somewhere.

As for the DOT thing. That's not true at all. The RF-1200 is built to Snell M2010/M2015 standard, not the DOT standard. The M2010 standard and the ECE 22.05 standard are almost identical. It's not hard to design a helmet that will pass M2010 and ECE 22.05. I don't believe Shoei makes two radically (if at all) different helmets given how close the spec is. They probably brand them differently to make it easier to label and deal with ongoing certification of batches etc.

I'd appreciate you sharing the weight of the NXR in small and I'll reveal the results from my kitchen scales on the RF-1200. I'm very interested to see how mine differs to the NXR. I'll compare my old XR-1000 as well when I bring it home from work.

The shells are built to a very different shape to suit our heads, so don't be fooled by sizing unless you have tried on a DOT Shoei of the same model.
    Well having an XR-1000 and an RF-1200 side by side I can tell you the interior head shape is literally identical. My head fits both perfectly. Yes the RF-1200 was snug at first but thinking back 6 years ago my XR-1000 was too. The RF-1200 has already softened up. If Shoei are customising the shape for the US vs EU markets they're doing a terrible job

I get your point.. But really the bigger risk I was worried about was that Shoei might have changed head models between the XR-1000/RF-1000 and the NXR/RF-1200. The US reviews said that wasn't the case so I figured I'd take the punt.

Also, ones not grey imported have a full 5 year warranty, and the ability to tailor cheek pads to your fit with our Platinum Shoei stockists. Keep an eye out for them in a few months time!
    Totally agree with this. From memory your top stockists all test rides as well which is a major benefit. Personally I trust Shoei that I don't need a warranty but yes buying local is always best. Helmet fit is paramount so you're always taking a risk with mail order of any kind. Parallel importing just makes returns a lot harder.

If it weren't for timing I'd be buying locally. It's not like I've saved any money with YouShop, GST and Customs fees. Perhaps $50 cheaper at best. However, I get to be the only person in NZ with the red Beacon for Summer

Frankly I don't think you need to worry about mass parallel importing. The price is well over the $400 GST limit, US shops will only send to a US address so you need YouShop.. And if it's only a break even at US$0.81 to the kiwi dollar, it'll only get worse if the dollar drops. As soon as these are out in shops here it'd be too much hassle to bother importing one. Unless of course you RRP them above about $850 with graphics.

Also, if you are in the market for a spectacular helmet at a great price, there are likely XR1100 specials in Shoei stockists across the country.
    Might need to make that more obvious online. Still $799 at Motomail and virtually nothing other than solids listed as in stock on whites.co.nz (in small). Personally, I can't buy something knowing there's a new model around the corner but a lot of people would probably be up for a good closeout deal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The shells are built to a very different shape to suit our heads, so don't be fooled by sizing unless you have tried on a DOT Shoei of the same model.
    Which head shape standard are you getting for NZ?

Interested as will be buying a GT Air early next year.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Hi CC

Do you have the Duchess in both colour schemes (white or black/pink)?

Cheers, Zippo
    Yes Zippo, have both.

I thought you got the pinlock compatible visor but still had to buy the insert. Great if that's included on the XR-1100 too.
    In Australia NXR & GT-Air come with a clear pinlock insert. Prob same as NZ.

All helmets sold here have a clear visor. Smoke is available for NXR $109.95
    NXR, GT-AIR, X12, XR1100 & TX-Z are all pinlock ready as standard.

Plain/blank colours $719 - Graghics $799

Definitely buy local where possible. It is easier if a warranty issue arises.
    Re- buying OC, I supose it depends if having a compliance sticker is a biggy for you. At least Aust/NZ are compatable. So I can't get pinged for non-compliant lid whenever I'm travelling across the ditch.

The Beacon Red is so vibrant. Is my fav

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cc rider View Post
    Yes Zippo, have both.

In Australia NXR & GT-Air come with a clear pinlock insert. Prob same as NZ.

All helmets sold here have a clear visor. Smoke is available for NXR $109.95
    NXR, GT-AIR, X12, XR1100 & TX-Z are all pinlock ready as standard.

Plain/blank colours $719 - Graghics $799

Definitely buy local where possible. It is easier if a warranty issue arises.
    Re- buying OC, I supose it depends if having a compliance sticker is a biggy for you. At least Aust/NZ are compatable. So I can't get pinged for non-compliant lid whenever I'm travelling across the ditch.

The Beacon Red is so vibrant. Is my fav
    Hi CC

Do your GT-Air have the quick release buckle?

Bike
    Yeah, you do get the complete insert as standard - not a bad inclusion!

This is great news. Hope you price them in line with the outgoing XR-1100. The RF-1200/NXR is a big upgrade on the XR-1000. Can't compare to the XR-1100 but in the US the RF-1200 is getting glowing reviews.
    I can't confirm what NZ retail will be at this point I'm sorry, but we are very aware the helmet market is a competitive one price wise!

I cannot believe the small (or any size to be honest) RF-1200 could be anywhere near 300gm lighter in the NXR version. It would be lighter than ANY other helmet on the market if that were the case. 30gm I could believe if they reinforce the shell a little somewhere.

As for the DOT thing. That's not true at all. The RF-1200 is built to Snell M2010/M2015 standard, not the DOT standard. The M2010 standard and the ECE 22.05 standard are almost identical. It's not hard to design a helmet that will pass M2010 and ECE 22.05. I don't believe Shoei makes two radically (if at all) different helmets given how close the spec is. They probably brand them differently to make it easier to label and deal with ongoing certification of batches etc.

I'd appreciate you sharing the weight of the NXR in small and I'll reveal the results from my kitchen scales on the RF-1200. I'm very interested to see how mine differs to the NXR. I'll compare my old XR-1000 as well when I bring it home from work.
    We will wait and see, if I can remember when we land one i'll grab it! Yes, we are hoping it will be a very light lid, but as with any and all Shoei designs, safety and aerodynamic weight are very, very important - anyone who has ridden in a cheap, extremely light helmet will attest to how flimsy they feel, how thin the EPS liner is, and how much hard work it is on your neck in a wind.

I could be wrong (yep, it's happened before) but to our understanding US models are built to DOT standard along with Snell - this could have changed as obviously we don't see too many of them here, but DOT's repeat penetrative test which has very little or no effect in real life (who repeatedly crashes a helmet into a pin?) means that anything achieving DOT standard has a significant weight disadvantage in the shell (right on the extremity where it makes the most difference in weight feel). Be good if they have changed it. As a non-Shoei example, the HJC HQ-1 Carbon helmet in my size was 1200g +/- 50gm from memory in ECE standard, and the DOT model was 1500g +/- 50gm.

Well having an XR-1000 and an RF-1200 side by side I can tell you the interior head shape is literally identical. My head fits both perfectly. Yes the RF-1200 was snug at first but thinking back 6 years ago my XR-1000 was too. The RF-1200 has already softened up. If Shoei are customising the shape for the US vs EU markets they're doing a terrible job

I get your point.. But really the bigger risk I was worried about was that Shoei might have changed head models between the XR-1000/RF-1000 and the NXR/RF-1200. The US reviews said that wasn't the case so I figured I'd take the punt.
    The XR1000 was a little before my time but they have changed the shell shape design from those models. Notable changes too like the size and location of the visor port increasing visibility like you have noticed. Some big steps! Our shells do differ - not dramatically, but generally not as wide in the cheeks as the US, and less round than the Asian market ones. If you know, you'll be right, but it's an easy way to get caught out.

Totally agree with this. From memory your top stockists all test rides as well which is a major benefit. Personally I trust Shoei that I don't need a warranty but yes buying local is always best. Helmet fit is paramount so you're always taking a risk with mail order of any kind. Parallel importing just makes returns a lot harder.
    Yeah, with the ability to import direct something very close, we need our stockists to be top notch and do as much as we can to support them to achieve this. A good example is that we have in our building in Hamilton two Shoei trained and approved service agents, one of whom has been to Japan for full training on all models at all levels. They take looking after their product seriously!

If it weren't for timing I'd be buying locally. It's not like I've saved any money with YouShop, GST and Customs fees. Perhaps $50 cheaper at best. However, I get to be the only person in NZ with the red Beacon for Summer

Frankly I don't think you need to worry about mass parallel importing. The price is well over the $400 GST limit, US shops will only send to a US address so you need YouShop.. And if it's only a break even at US$0.81 to the kiwi dollar, it'll only get worse if the dollar drops. As soon as these are out in shops here it'd be too much hassle to bother importing one. Unless of course you RRP them above about $850 with graphics.
    That's good to hear! A shame we have ended up behind the rest of the world in timing, usually these releases are timed so we all get product at the same time but clearly this time little ol' NZ is a wee bit behind Must say that your graphic looks sharp, and sadly not one we can even attempt to order.

Might need to make that more obvious online. Still $799 at Motomail and virtually nothing other than solids listed as in stock on whites.co.nz (in small). Personally, I can't buy something knowing there's a new model around the corner but a lot of people would probably be up for a good closeout deal.
    All unofficial of course, likely online pricing won't change at this point but worth a call to a stockist. Me too, I'll hold on for the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Which head shape standard are you getting for NZ?

Interested as will be buying a GT Air early next year.
    EU only for us. There are three shell shapes; US, EU, and Asia. We buy everything with EU standard and sizing as it best fits the majority of Kiwi's heads, and we have varying cheek pad sizing available to tailor your fit.
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    that one in my sig
    We will wait and see, if I can remember when we land one i'll grab it! Yes, we are hoping it will be a very light lid, but as with any and all Shoei designs, safety and aerodynamic weight are very, very important - anyone who has ridden in a cheap, extremely light helmet will attest to how flimsy they feel, how thin the EPS liner is, and how much hard work it is on your neck in a wind.
    Cool.. Will be really interesting to see if they manage to make them lighter in the NXR. Totally agree with the flimsy thing. I'd rather know I have something decent on my head.

I could be wrong (yep, it's happened before) but to our understanding US models are built to DOT standard along with Snell - this could have changed as obviously we don't see too many of them here, but DOT's repeat penetrative test which has very little or no effect in real life (who repeatedly crashes a helmet into a pin?) means that anything achieving DOT standard has a significant weight disadvantage in the shell (right on the extremity where it makes the most difference in weight feel). Be good if they have changed it. As a non-Shoei example, the HJC HQ-1 Carbon helmet in my size was 1200g +/- 50gm from memory in ECE standard, and the DOT model was 1500g +/- 50gm.
    Ahh I think you might be thinking of the old Snell M2005 standard. That skewed designs because they used the same weight for S, M, L sizes and did the double impact. M2010/M2015 has changed to use the same head weights as ECE 22.05 to make the two standards compatible and allow one design for both certifications. Snell still does two impacts though.. But frankly if I'm ragdolling after a 150km/h crash (on the track of course) I think the double impact test has some validity.

Yeah, with the ability to import direct something very close, we need our stockists to be top notch and do as much as we can to support them to achieve this. A good example is that we have in our building in Hamilton two Shoei trained and approved service agents, one of whom has been to Japan for full training on all models at all levels. They take looking after their product seriously!
    Shoei helmets probably sell themselves but little things like having shops know that whistling can be fixed by adjusting the visor plates would be good. I know a few people who had no idea you can do that.

That's good to hear! A shame we have ended up behind the rest of the world in timing, usually these releases are timed so we all get product at the same time but clearly this time little ol' NZ is a wee bit behind Must say that your graphic looks sharp, and sadly not one we can even attempt to order.
    Gutted for kiwis that the NXR won't be in the Beacon but in a way I'm stoked. I'll be the only one on the road Weird that it is available in Aussie.. It looks like they have the RF-1200 graphics but under the NXR brand.

http://www.mcleodaccessories.com.au/...=10-SHOEI~#nxr

Hopefully this means you'll be able to get some of the RF graphics as well?? Or do you think the Aussie model is a rebranded RF-1200.. The Aussie XR-1100 seems to be Snell M2010 rather than ECE 22.05 which is interesting. It's like it's the US cert/graphics but with the Euro naming. NXR seems to be doing the same thing.

Bike
    Hopefully this means you'll be able to get some of the RF graphics as well?? Or do you think the Aussie model is a rebranded RF-1200.. The Aussie XR-1100 seems to be Snell M2010 rather than ECE 22.05 which is interesting. It's like it's the US cert/graphics but with the Euro naming. NXR seems to be doing the same thing.
    Our graphic range is pretty set. We buy in EU standard therefore we get the EU graphics - the ones we can see on Shoei-Europe. I can't talk about Australia as I just don't know, but I would guess in that case they buy from the Snell standards which is the US market. Anything branded RF, or X11/X12 not X-Spirit, is a US model as the rest of the world use XR1100, NXR, X-Spirit2 ETC. Graphics would normally differ along with that naming.
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Our graphic range is pretty set. We buy in EU standard therefore we get the EU graphics - the ones we can see on Shoei-Europe. I can't talk about Australia as I just don't know, but I would guess in that case they buy from the Snell standards which is the US market. Anything branded RF, or X11/X12 not X-Spirit, is a US model as the rest of the world use XR1100, NXR, X-Spirit2 ETC. Graphics would normally differ along with that naming.
    Been looking around online and it looks like the Aussie XR-1100 and NXR are definitely US graphics and Snell M2010 certified (and apparently the Australian AS/NZS 1698 standard which is legally required).

For some reason Shoei chooses to use the European names just to make things confusing. They really should come up with yet another name, or just call them the RF-1100/RF-1200 in Aussie if that is what they are. Totally bizarre

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Does anyone know yet, which ones of the NXR will be available here in XXS?

I'd really rather want to buy local, but that's how I ended up with a crap helmet last time. (Ok, that is a bit unfair. It is not totally crap, just noisy, drafty and not that comfy). If you have a head this small your choices are definitely limited.
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
    ---------------------------

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Old thread I know, but just thought that I'd clarify a couple of things. I had to wait for a while to get an insurance payout on a helmet damaged in an accident, so did far too much research.

Shoei make different helmets for USA/Australia and Europe/NZ. The US shells are stronger and therefore heavier so that they can pass the Snell double impact and penetration test - the AS includes the latter. So the European helmets will probably result in lower g forces in a crash unless you hit a spike or the same part of the helmet hard twice. (The Snell 2010 onwards and ECE standards have similar test procedures, but expecting Snell to change their double impact requirement would be like National doing something about Auckland housing.)

The NXR weight difference seems to be about 150-200 g based on the weight of my XL and the figure given by Webbikeworld for the RF1200.

As an aside, it appears that Arai are now making a single helmet for both Europe and the USA. This may explain their poor ratings in the UK SHARP scheme and the helmet tests carried out by Motorrad magazine, which are both based on the ECE standard.

Thread Information