Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoei RF-1200 (NXR in EU)

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR

Shoei RF-1200 (NXR in EU)

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an upgrade in the helmet department. After reading a lot of reviews and the ins and outs of the mid-range sport type helmets I've pretty much decided on the tried and true Shoei RF-1100. This just seems to be a great all round helmet and has countless reviews etc all over the world to back that up. Also being 3+ years old I can pick one up for around $500 (for the solid black) which is a pretty attractive price.

That being said, in the US and EU the Shoei RF-1200 (or NXR in the EU) which replaces the RF-1100 has been released. This is pretty much an improvement in every way on an already brilliant helmet.

My question is, has anyone got word of if/when NZ retailers may be stocking these? If so, any indication of price?

I figure it'd cost about NZD$800 to import from the states (that's $530 for helmet, $75 shipping with youshop, $90 for gst and ~$100 for any customs duty/extra charges but would obviously prefer to buy from a NZ shop.

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    UPDATE: Just got a reply from Bits4Bikes saying that the helmet will be available form early March 2014. No real word on price however most likely similar to the current 1100.

Now, to import or not to import... Any disaster stories from importing?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marine0089 View Post
    Now, to import or not to import... Any disaster stories from importing?
    Got a thread already on that: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...nternationally
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Cheers for the link Gremlin.

Bike
    A black one
    I ordered my curent helmet from the states and got my brother to bring it back for me. The main thing I'd be conscious of new time is fitment. It doesn't fit me perfectly and I've had to slightly shape the liner at the front to accommodate for that, which isn't ideal.

But if you've tried on an RF1100 here and you know that the 1200 is the same shape and fit then I'd say go for it. Keep in mind you'll likely be hit by pretty decent shipping and customs charges though. My helmet cost me around $400 but if I had it shipped here it would've been close to $650.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    I have a XR-1000 that's 6 years old. Was going to upgrade to the XR-1100 or X-Spirit. Then I saw the RF-1200 which has great graphics, pinlock insert in the box, plus emergency cheek pad removal.

I've got one inbound from the US right now with a dark smoke visor. I figure I'll about the same spend compared to what they decide on the NZ price. With how much I save on the visor I'm sure it'll work out ok. Plus the RF-1200 comes with a pinlock insert which the XR-1100 doesn't (to my knowledge).

It's not about the money for me. I've got 6 trackdays planned over summer so want a new helmet. I'd rather buy now from overseas vs who knows when for an XR-1200.. I also don't have to worry about which graphics are available locally.

I love the fit of my XR-1000 so I'm fairly happy ordering another Shoei online.

Some great photos ridersdiscount.com posted of various graphics on this forum. http://www.twowheelforum.com/showthread.php?p=512609

Can't wait for it to arrive. I've gone for the red Beacon. Fingers crossed on the colour

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    I've got one inbound from the US right now with a dark smoke visor.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. The extra visor is cheaper in the US so that would help even out the NZ price once released.

Where did you order from? Are they sending directly to you or did you have to go through a mail forwarding service such as youshop.co.nz?

What's the ETA on it? Would be interested in knowing how much duty you have to pay as this is my only unknown.

Oh and nice gfx!

Bike
    that one in my sig
    This is exactly what I was thinking. The extra visor is cheaper in the US so that would help even out the NZ price once released.

Where did you order from? Are they sending directly to you or did you have to go through a mail forwarding service such as youshop.co.nz?

What's the ETA on it? Would be interested in knowing how much duty you have to pay as this is my only unknown.

Oh and nice gfx!
    Cheers Will post pics when it arrives. I was going to go matte black or the go oldschool with the Mystify TC-4 but changed my mind at the last second. What are you thinking of? They're all great looking. I normally don't like solids but the shape is so strong they really work. I love the wing that reminds me of a Lambo.

I ordered from ridersdiscount.com. It was a 50/50 call between them and revzilla.com or sportbiketrackgear.com. They're all the same price and all reputable shops that put a lot into their stores.

Sadly Shoei has the retailers under US only so had to do YouShop. YouShop is in Oregon so the shipping from RD got held up in the big snow storm up there. Took 9 working days instead of 1-5 days. It's now on it's way to NZ so sometime in the next week I should get the customs fees and all that crap. http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/ should give you a good idea of the GST and fees. There's no duty on helmets thankfully.

Shipping in the US was free, YouShop was $98 + $6 for shipping insurance based on weight of 3kg and box of 41cm x 32cm x 33cm (12x12x16 inches).

With Christmas coming fast you might find you get held up so bear that in mind.

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    Even though they have some great looking designs I was thinking of getting just the straight black version. Currently have a white/silver/black patterned shark helmet that although looked good for my last bike doesn't really go with the Red/Black of my CBR.

Straight black pretty much goes with everything and am hoping to have the helmet for a while to come.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Even though they have some great looking designs I was thinking of getting just the straight black version. Currently have a white/silver/black patterned shark helmet that although looked good for my last bike doesn't really go with the Red/Black of my CBR.

Straight black pretty much goes with everything and am hoping to have the helmet for a while to come.
    Just realised we have almost the same bike - mine's an 08.. Totally get you.. That's why I was going matte black originally. Hope I don't end up with a major clash between the reds or it'll be then straight on trademe

Bike
    that one in my sig

Shoei RF-1200 (NXR in EU)

Paid my GST and customs fees today so fingers crossed mine is delivered tomorrow. Fees were pretty much what the Customs site said they'd be. Will post some pics

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    Ahh nice. That didn't take too long even with the extra Xmas load.

I'm hoping revzilla or the likes will have some sort of boxing day sale on them

Fingers crossed its the same (or at least similar) shade as your bike!

Bike
    I put NXR on the shelf on Friday. Designs $800 Aus... less $$ for sold colours etc.

In stock:

Beacon Neon Red (Awesome) & Neon Yellow
    Inception
    Dutchess
    Phantasm
    Dominance (need to comfirm)
    Sold Colours

Lighter in weight.

If you buy from Aust it had same compliance sticker

Accredited companies

Accredited companies that certify motorcycle helmets can be found on the JAS-ANZ website. As of September 2013, there are four JAS-ANZ accredited bodies that can certify motorcycle helmets to comply with AS/NZS 1698.
    The four JAS-ANZ accredited bodies that can certify motorcycle helmets to comply with AS/NZS 1698

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	accredited_bodies.gif 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	291102

Let me know if anyone wants me to arrange an order. Happy to help out. PM me.

cheers

CC

Bike
    2007 CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by cc rider View Post
    I put NXR on the shelf on Friday. Designs $800 Aus... less $$ for sold colours etc.
    Ahh that's awesome news!

How much for the solid colors? I'm just after the plan black.

You getting replacement (dark smoke) visors also?

Bike
    that one in my sig
    So mine turned up today. Love the design. Definitely grabs attention on the street so hopefully does the same with cars. Best example of hi-vis being cool that I've seen. The design of the Beacon is amazing. The red is very close to the pics above. I tried to take some photos with my iPhone but the fluro-ness of the red freaks out the camera. Will try again tomorrow night.

Forgot how snug my XR-1000 was when i first got it. Hopefully the cheek pads soften up a bit like my XR-1000 did as it's on the tight side at the moment. The crown is fine though so worst case I'll fork out for some new cheek pads.

It's quite a different red to my bike but the matte finish means it seems to work ok. Having the black of the jacket in between breaks it up. Ideal match would be with a black bike. Hard to tell for sure as obviously I can't see myself on the bike - and cameras don't do the colours justice. I think I'll have to find a mirror

As for the design.. Well it's what you'd expect from Shoei. It's quieter on my bike than the XR-1000. Riding into a headwind it felt more stable. The visibility is great through the eye port. I used to tilt my helmet up for better upwards visibility on the track - won't need to do this with the RF-1200/NXR. It's also a better shape for tiling your head back in a tuck. Airflow seems about the same but I've only ridden home on the motorway. Hard to tell to be honest. Will report back after some more riding.

I was worried about the new visor as I use the little knob on the left side to crack my visor all the time. The new catch can be unlocked a crack so all good. Anyway, there's a pinlock insert in the box so you shouldn't need that anyway. Optically the smoke visor is amazing. I'm not sure if it's just that it's new but I literally forgot it was there at times and went to pull it down. It's a weird sensation.

Overall it's a 10/10 helmet. I really struggle to see why anyone would pay the extra for the X-Spirit over this puppy. The emergency cheek pads and fully removable liner, the pinlock in the box, the breath guard and chin curtain... Well it's got everything bar a smoke visor covered.

Thread Information