Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F you windows 2000

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Windows 2000 ???? THE worst OS they ever released. I 'upgraded' (shall we say) from W98 cos 2000 'would be better'. HA! For no apparent reason, 2000 deleted some critical files in the startup area (I think) which crashed the whole thing. Three times in four months. Each time I had to Norton Ghost the HDD, format, reinstall 2000, all my programs & then import the data previously ghosted. Then I got XP and never had a problem since.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    apple macintosh.
    Commodore 64

Bike
    Super Adventure 1290s, Bonnie T214
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocam
    a 'mate of mine' just formatted his hard drive with a backup drive to restore all his valuable 'data' files

unfortuantly on his reinstall of windows 2000 it decided to fucking format the third partition and install onto that (he was off having a smoke) he just lost 7GB of music and all his personal docs. lukily he has a 6 pack to consoul him but FUCK whats the deal with directx needing to 'validate you have a registered version of windows'

man....
    running an illegal OS is getting harder and harder

says my friend
    Microshaft sure are fighting back hard. I installed a replacment secondary HD last week as my last one died (nothing important lost as I have an Iomega Zip for backing up files). After installing the drive I noticed that my Office Suite on my primary HD was asking to be validated again, even though I didn't touch the primary drive during the install of XP on the secondary drive. As I bought this office suite from a market stall in a country not known for having any copyright laws (disclaimer: It looked original, so I 'guessed' it was...), I couldn't as my registration key was no longer valid. I also noticed that Media player and Direct X wanted to re-validate themselves.

Confused the crap out of my how installing a new secondary drive can effect the progs on my primary unit.
    This weeks international insult is in Malayalam:

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander
    Bet that's the last time y- I mean your friend tries doing it drunk aye mate.
    ahhh yeash

still

its not as bad as he thought. the music backup is still there (he forgot about it) on a usb2.0 160GB drive at his work. but still its a shitter.
    I only posted this because of the global economic crisis

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff

Confused the crap out of my how installing a new secondary drive can effect the progs on my primary unit.
    When you install most Microsoft products now, it saves a "picture" of your hardware setup - the entire hardware in computer ('tis actually a number based on some complex algoritms, but in effect it tells the software what hardware you have). Every time you start the software, it checks your hardware again, and compares to the original "picture". If the hardware has changed it wants re-validation.

Which is a right PITA for us geek types that constantly put new hardware in and take it out again.

The answer starts with a "L" , folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    woohoo

1 big upside to the reformat is that now the firewire card that I thought was busted actually works now.

muhahaha
    I only posted this because of the global economic crisis

Bike
    GSX-R600K3
    Quote Originally Posted by Racey Rider
    Talking partitions.
    Can someone tell me how to increase the size off my C:/?

I have one 10Gb hard disk, partitioned at 2Gb C:/ and 8 Gb D:/.

I would like to take 1 Gb from D:/ and add into C:/.

Running window 98SE.

Thanks.
    Racey.
    Either start from scratch again. Or get yourself a copy of Partition Magic, does wonders
    Life is difficult because it is non-linear.

Bike
    GSX-R600K3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    So why do it ? Linux free . Linux good. Ubuntu good . Free . Legal.
    I 2nd that, Much better, more powerful and free. What more can you want
    Life is difficult because it is non-linear.

Bike
    sold it :(
    Though of course eventually you become so geeky you either have Partner Pack or MSDN subscriptions. So you don't have to worry about anything, just remember to leave alone the DVDs marked "beta, don't use on primary computer". The Partner Pack is only $600 a year to memory. And that includes 10 copies of the current consumer version of just about everything microsoft makes. So that's 10x WinXP Home/Pro and 10x Office Pro. And one copy of the current server. As well as rolling updates during the year.

MSDN on the other hand is much nicer as it's "everything" but about $3000/year.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Though of course eventually you become so geeky you either have Partner Pack or MSDN subscriptions. So you don't have to worry about anything, just remember to leave alone the DVDs marked "beta, don't use on primary computer". The Partner Pack is only $600 a year to memory. And that includes 10 copies of the current consumer version of just about everything microsoft makes. So that's 10x WinXP Home/Pro and 10x Office Pro. And one copy of the current server. As well as rolling updates during the year.

MSDN on the other hand is much nicer as it's "everything" but about $3000/year.

$5000 and odd actually, when I renewed a few months ago .
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1992 VFR 400r NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocam
    Been there done that. yes linux free but linux is harder to use.

we could easily go into a debate how linux is better than windows and yes in many ways it is. but for most people (I know several linux to windows converts) windows its just easier (im hitting myself for saying that)

also good games just dont run nicely on linux. im sorry.
    hey, linux is very user friendly...

it's just picky about who it calls friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrider
    Stay away from busses on a bike. You're gonna lose.

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    I found win2k to be more reliable and less naggy than xp - after all it is the same kernel and most other system files, just not all flashy gui and little options in the bars and stuff.

Therefore less is generally stable - and this is true in 2k vs xp case.

I also dislike the 'XP WAY' which is nag the user for everything and protect them from harmless jpg's, even though system administrators and techhies are all newbs eh :|

If you want to get rid of validation like me, use corporate editions, and or education ones, generally they have no windows authing - install and use ;D
    Education ones are legal from schools as long as the school itself has used the product on the computer it is installed one. Sneaky huh

Bike
    big gay1 that I am not licenced to use
    Volume Licence I think you mean...

Just certain CDKEY's and a INI change.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Dislike XP myself. Win98, Linux and OS/2 in this house hold- XP is the ME of NT. Soon to be an OS X convert.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Dislike XP myself. Win98, Linux and OS/2 in this house hold- XP is the ME of NT. Soon to be an OS X convert.
    OS/2 ? Interesting. Not many still using it, though I always thought it was a damn good operating system. OS X is a Unix kernal so it should be stable at any rate.

I've never used Mac myself but everyone I know who has has been very pleased with it.

Thread Information