Thread: I'm looking for tuition and training

Bike
    KTM 250

I'm looking for tuition and training

Hey, I'm relatively new to Dirt biking and am after some tuition or training, have looked around but can only find really expensive or advanced training. Can anyone help/know someone or offer tuition themselves for a price? I'm in Auckland / upper Waikato area Cheers

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktmbuddy View Post
    Hey, I'm relatively new to Dirt biking and am after some tuition or training, have looked around but can only find really expensive or advanced training. Can anyone help/know someone or offer tuition themselves for a price? I'm in Auckland / upper Waikato area Cheers
    a few of the local national riders from the pukekohe club do some training, ill ask around to see if any of them are keen

Bike
    2014 Husaberg FE 250
    Anyone in christchurch doing the same thing?
    Life…you get one shot…take it.

Bike
    2012 Beta Evo Factory 300

I know where the best dirt bike training is. And it's (sort of) free!

Gentlemen ... Go to the MNZ website to find the nearest trials club. Go to their events. You will need a beaten old trials bike, but you can sell it later to get your money back. You not sure if it's the best training? Don't believe me, ask Stefan Merriman, Greg Power, Graeme Jarvis or Chris Birch if you aren't sure!

Cheers ... Sidey

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidey View Post
    Gentlemen ... Go to the MNZ website to find the nearest trials club. Go to their events. You will need a beaten old trials bike, but you can sell it later to get your money back. You not sure if it's the best training? Don't believe me, ask Stefan Merriman, Greg Power, Graeme Jarvis or Chris Birch if you aren't sure!

Cheers ... Sidey
    Do I really have to ask those guys? They're all based all over the world and are always travelling through work... can I just take your word instead?

Stupid jokes aside, trials skills will definitely make you a far better rider, so this is good advice.

Bike
    2012 Beta Evo Factory 300

Trials riding as training

Thanks for support Jay. Some might not like going slow, but if it's training you want and you can manage without the thrills (and spills!) for a while you'd be amazed at how much go-slow stuff helps when you turn it up a bit. Picking a line, knowing where the traction is, where to put the weight, how to get over big stuff. The trials guys are friendly too, because they won't be racing you. It's no skin off their nose to help a newbie get better. Not all of their advice is good but it will be freely given!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrtonsenna View Post
    Anyone in christchurch doing the same thing?
    MX events Brian Heaphy works out of Nelson Mot.
    Hes a great guy and does a lot with the kids on the coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidey View Post
    Thanks for support Jay. Some might not like going slow, but if it's training you want and you can manage without the thrills (and spills!) for a while you'd be amazed at how much go-slow stuff helps when you turn it up a bit. Picking a line, knowing where the traction is, where to put the weight, how to get over big stuff. The trials guys are friendly too, because they won't be racing you. It's no skin off their nose to help a newbie get better. Not all of their advice is good but it will be freely given!

There are two fundamental issues with my riding, one is I didn't ride anything fast enough when I was a stupid dumb kid to learn how to ride properly, before I realised I wasn't going to live forever, the other is I have piss-poor low-speed skills. You're on the nail that those same skills also work when the pace goes up, so I really should follow your advice too...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay GTI View Post
    There are two fundamental issues with my riding, one is I didn't ride anything fast enough when I was a stupid dumb kid to learn how to ride properly, before I realised I wasn't going to live forever, the other is I have piss-poor low-speed skills. You're on the nail that those same skills also work when the pace goes up, so I really should follow your advice too...
    grip with your knees and for those brought up on road bikes have to learn to shift body weight away from where the bike is leaning
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    grip with your knees and for those brought up on road bikes have to learn to shift body weight away from where the bike is leaning
    Yeah know all about what I should be doing, the knee thing is still something I have to remind myself to do, it's just not natural enough yet. Luckily I don't ride road bikes, so have no bad habits to carry over, but I have taken a few road riders out for their first ever dirt ride and they all struggle with the basics, because most of the road skills are the opposite on a dirt bike.

One mate, who's a very fast track rider and certainly very accomplished on a road bike, once asked me how I stop the back end sliding out on the corners... I looked at him funny and said "er, you don't..."

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay GTI View Post
    Yeah know all about what I should be doing, the knee thing is still something I have to remind myself to do, it's just not natural enough yet. Luckily I don't ride road bikes, so have no bad habits to carry over, but I have taken a few road riders out for their first ever dirt ride and they all struggle with the basics, because most of the road skills are the opposite on a dirt bike.

One mate, who's a very fast track rider and certainly very accomplished on a road bike, once asked me how I stop the back end sliding out on the corners... I looked at him funny and said "er, you don't..."
    Forgot to mention that Josh Coppins was doing club training and a while back so was one of the King boys.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information