Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw 2T oil. Perplexed.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Barnacle parps guide to the chainsaw, is the bible for woodcutting anoraks.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Barnacle parps guide to the chainsaw, is the bible for woodcutting anoraks.
    Your not shitting, I just looked.

Not sure if it's you or sadly me but I was expecting pages of Barnacle genitalia, reproductive processes and uses in the kitchen.

I doff my cap for my doubt.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I'm off to town to buy my son a chainsaw...me being a brand loyal type of egg and loving my Stihls for many years does not mean that I should automatically buy the same for him, but probably will...or a Husky...anyone want to add anything before I get in my truck and speed off...Stihl or Husqvarna?...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...I'm off to town to buy my son a chainsaw...me being a brand loyal type of egg and loving my Stihls for many years does not mean that I should automatically buy the same for him, but probably will...or a Husky...anyone want to add anything before I get in my truck and speed off...Stihl or Husqvarna?...
    Don't write off Solo. My local farm centre sells them with full back up, parts etc. Spoke to some local owners & they highly rate them even as a commercial saw. Significantly sharper price, too.
    I've knocked the snot out of mine & it still starts & runs like new. Admittedly it runs Castrol TTS now.
    Just sayin.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    stihl. if you're using it all day, and you're not an orangutan. the balance is fucking perfect and side by side with other brands they're lighter, better vibe damping..wank wank wank.
    get stihl. unless you hate him. then go bunnings and buy poolan.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    What does he intend to do with it? If it is an occasional use saw, then go with the cheaper brands and show him how to look after it . If he wants to do some serious work, Husky. Sthil are out for me until they can compete with husky on parts prices.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Husky. Sthil are out for me until they can compete with husky on parts prices.
    nahh. they just dont fucken break. :P

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Oil pump drive on both my 023 and 025 wear out fairly quickly with prolonged use, and they are fucked if they nip up thanks to the chrome bores that sthil like to use.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I have an electric chainsaw. It is surprisingly grunty.

Hope this helps.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I have an electric chainsaw. It is surprisingly grunty.

Hope this helps.
    Im sure there is a ladies thread around somewhere you can post about your toys.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Im sure there is a ladies thread around somewhere you can post about your toys.
    thats what KB is for though, right?

I actually bought it as a "one job" thing one sunday when the "proper" shops were all shut. It is surprising what the thing has cut. I did a "safety course" years ago with some graphic pics so I am pretty careful about the thing...
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    thats what KB is for though, right?

I actually bought it as a "one job" thing one sunday when the "proper" shops were all shut. It is surprising what the thing has cut. I did a "safety course" years ago with some graphic pics so I am pretty careful about the thing...
    Actually I got a ryobi one from the dump years ago, that I use to cut up pallets with. It cuts nails and all, not bad for a freebie.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...drove straight to the Stihl shop...done...they also just happened to have a show week discount going on...

Bike
    XR200
    Stihl. Between my brother and I we have five of them. He's a farmer and I'm just obsessive/compulsive.

Stihl are expensive and if you wanted to put time and effort into selecting another manufacturer you could possibly find better bang for your buck.

However if you are comfortable with Stihl and familiar with their saws then I'd say stay with what you know. They are utterly reliable and very easy to sell second-hand. My advice - if you can, buy a pro saw. That's the even numbered Stihls - MS261, MS441 etc.

I regard my 066 the same way I regarded my (deceased) Ducati.

Bike
    XR200

Stihl NZ Are Not Stupid

Just an additional comment - Stihl NZ are not stupid. They know you can buy a 40cc saw at Mitre 10 for $299. So Stihl have been gradually reducing their prices in recent years.

I bought an 025 in 1997 for $600. Today you can buy the new saw for $780 on sale (maybe less) which is cheaper in real terms than in 1997.

Thread Information