http://bend.craigslist.org/tls/4295405573.html
    If it is as stated it is a good buy.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    This just popped up on Craigslist.
    http://bend.craigslist.org/tls/4295405573.html
    If it is as stated it is a good buy.
    Yeah, that would be a good buy, as long as the compression is still good.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Failing that send an anonymous email asking for help and I'm sure the NSA will respond with the answer.
    wow. you are late to that fuken party.

Bike
    XR200

Sometimes You Have a Win

Gotta share cos nobody at home gets it.

A few days ago had a common-sense malfunction and bid on TM for a non-running Stihl chainsaw. Not even the model number was known although it looked to be a small size.

To my horror I won. $81 - Ok it won't break the bank but I was feeling a bit silly. Tinkering is fun but really I'm no mechanic.

Picked it up this morning and my heart sank. The previous owner was a cruel sod who abused a piece of quality machinery, scratches all over, broken taped-up handle and another crack, chain brake no good, dirty etc. Shag. Plus of course the bastard wouldn't fire.

The saw turned out to be a Stihl MS 211 C which is at the high end of the light pruning/firewood range. By coincidence I'd looked at the latest model just before Christmas but at $685 put that decision off.

Anyway, so there I am cursing quietly in the garage in between running teenagers around and wondering if I should just sell the bloody thing to another optimist. The good news was good compression and it produced a spark but more of a whimper than a bright blue flash. Tried meths in the carb which has always worked in the past but nadda.

Farg.

So I decided to at least make the thing presentable dismantling bits and blew into holes, as you do. Removed the pull-starter and found the rotor surrounded by oil and dirt. To be honest at this point I only had a vague idea of what to do but cleaned out as much as possible, discovered an electrical connection, cleaned around the coil/ignition unit, and as an after-thought, rubbed a bit of sandpaper over the rotor magnets and the points.

Was about to go to bed and thought of giving it one last try which meant reassembly but ok. Poured in a bit of meths. Pulled. Nothin. No wait -

YES

You beauty the sucker fired right up and didn't want to stop. Damn that felt good.

And that's tonights bedtime story. We now know the MS 211 runs on meths. Tomorrow we will introduce proper fuel but thats for another day.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Think I may still have some parts for one of those in the Shagged pile. Black handled jobby, or the white handle??? Will have a looksee.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    Gotta share cos nobody at home gets it.
    Well done! That is a real feel good moment.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    This was todays weaponry, Had some 80+ yr old pines to clean up. Fire wood for years.

Husky 365sp, 2x Sthil 066 magnums. 9hrs only stopping for fuel and sharpens, my fore arms feel fucked. Chainsaws-1 , 80 yr old pines - nil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2085.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	790.8 KB 
ID:	293071  

Bike
    XR200
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Think I may still have some parts for one of those in the Shagged pile. Black handled jobby, or the white handle??? Will have a looksee.
    Cheers, very thoughtful. It has the black and orange handle.

The crack had been wrapped with a very strong tape which made a solid fix but of course I only realised that once it was removed. I'll try to make an aluminium strap to fit and paint it black.

Here is the saw - pretty rough - but looking better by now.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=685502011

Bike
    XR200
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Well done! That is a real feel good moment.
    Thanks man. Sometimes I think motorcyclists are the only people who understand the satisfaction of finding a problem and solving it by yourself.

Bike
    XR200
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    This was todays weaponry, Had some 80+ yr old pines to clean up. Fire wood for years.

Husky 365sp, 2x Sthil 066 magnums. 9hrs only stopping for fuel and sharpens, my fore arms feel fucked. Chainsaws-1 , 80 yr old pines - nil.
    Ho yuss!! Excellent machines. And old man pine is good wood. Respect, that is a hard days yakka.

I love the 066 although they are a beast to use. What size bar? - and is that a 36inch bar on the ground?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...it's fucking good to have a win on an older motor with no history...glad it's you and not me...I should have been down the shed tonight tickling up the little gear and taking the hedge trimmer off the 026 and sussing her for a few big days of clearing shit...buuut, my missus said we should get out on the sportys by 4pm and I obliged her whim...manana...

Bike
    Honda VF750f.

Here is the saw - pretty rough - but looking better by now.
    Bloody hell, someone hated that saw in a previous life.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Another good deal.
    http://bend.craigslist.org/tls/4309132476.html
    Wish there was a cheap way of getting them to NZ.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Wish there was a cheap way of getting them to NZ.
    Me too, with deals like that.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    . What size bar? - and is that a 36inch bar on the ground?
    34,s on the saws, and a 40 lying on the ground. Had a look for that 211 but no joy, the one I was thinking was there is an 023, very similar but different enough to be of little use to you Im afraid.

Thread Information