Thread: AMCC at Hampton Downs on 12 Jan 14 - Any other LAMS bikes going ?

Bike
    err, one is black and one is blue ...

AMCC at Hampton Downs on 12 Jan 14 - Any other LAMS bikes going ?

Hi all.

Recently had my first track training day at Pukekohe with the ProRider crew. A pretty f'ing absolutely awesome day sums it up. I took my GSX650FU LAMS along and discovered that even though it goes through corners as well as any sport-tourers, I got used to seeing tail pipes on the straights, as the bike was only reaching at a little over 150 before hitting the next corner. Still plenty fast enough to put a smile on the face and treat respect for higher speeds.

Well, shit happens. It didn't take away from the fun, as it actually made me corner better to keep speed and brake later to try to even things up (even if only a tiny bit, in my own mind ...). Also learnt a lot from Glenn and Les, the fab instructors for our group, plus the other riders.

It would be great to see some other LAMS riders out there on their 500s/650s.

Is there anyone one else out there who doesn't have a grown-up licence yet who are taking their LAMS bike to the AMCC ART session at Hampton Downs on 12 Jan 2014. If not, give it some thought - it was a great feeling to ride fast (well, a relative term) on a smooth surface that was free from cowshit, loose stones, mud, oncoming traffic, pot holes, moss, branches etc.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I will be there. Not Lambs. Just slow.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie2012 View Post
    Hi all.

Recently had my first track training day at Pukekohe with the ProRider crew. A pretty f'ing absolutely awesome day sums it up. I took my GSX650FU LAMS along and discovered that even though it goes through corners as well as any sport-tourers, I got used to seeing tail pipes on the straights, as the bike was only reaching at a little over 150 before hitting the next corner. Still plenty fast enough to put a smile on the face and treat respect for higher speeds.

Well, shit happens. It didn't take away from the fun, as it actually made me corner better to keep speed and brake later to try to even things up (even if only a tiny bit, in my own mind ...). Also learnt a lot from Glenn and Les, the fab instructors for our group, plus the other riders.

It would be great to see some other LAMS riders out there on their 500s/650s.

Is there anyone one else out there who doesn't have a grown-up licence yet who are taking their LAMS bike to the AMCC ART session at Hampton Downs on 12 Jan 2014. If not, give it some thought - it was a great feeling to ride fast (well, a relative term) on a smooth surface that was free from cowshit, loose stones, mud, oncoming traffic, pot holes, moss, branches etc.
    Free from horseshit, loose stones, mud, pot holes... you sure you were at Puke?

A mate went to that, first time out as well and had a ball. Clint on a ST1300. Prorider do a good day. AMCC do a good job too, enjoy

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Probably a Noob question,

But how does one go about attending these Track days? (apart from the obvious showing up)

Am assuming some form of Fee is required, along with some form of minimum safety gear and Minimum bike Track worthiness requirements?

Can't make this one, but would be interested to have a blast on my Hornet 250, a lot of Bikers I polled for advice said Track Days were a good place to learn skills safely that can be translated into making you a better road rider.

On a side note - I am looking lovingly at the GSX650FU LAMS as a possible step up from my Hornet - thoughts?

Bike
    GSA & WR
    Have a read here http://amcc.org.nz/advanced first and then I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Graham View Post
    Have a read here http://amcc.org.nz/advanced first and then I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have
    Thank you Kind Sir,

That pretty much answered my questions

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    On a side note - I am looking lovingly at the GSX650FU LAMS as a possible step up from my Hornet - thoughts?
    Still thinks it is the dogs after 15,000kms Demo one.

Bike
    GSA & WR
    Ok guys and gals,

Have booked a sunny day so bring plenty of fluids (we will have some there too for you).
    Just a couple of spots left if your a last minute decision maker so best to give Colleen a ring to see if its still possible 02744231433 or 094891239.
    We have a photographer confirmed in attendance.

See you all on Sunday
    KG

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ok guys and gals,

Have booked a sunny day so bring plenty of fluids (we will have some there too for you).
    Just a couple of spots left if your a last minute decision maker so best to give Colleen a ring to see if its still possible 02744231433 or 094891239.
    We have a photographer confirmed in attendance.

See you all on Sunday
    KG
    Will the camera help me lose 20kg? Can he get my good side?

Bike
    GSA & WR
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Will the camera help me lose 20kg? Can he get my good side?
    Photoshop will be your friend just ask the Kardashian girls

Bike
    An awesome day today guys, great to meet you. A big thanks to the AMCC team and the group one instructors.

Shame I'm still shit, but at least it gives plenty of room for improvement. See you in March.

Bike
    [sorry forum whores, somehow did a duplicate. my bad.]

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Soooo, when do the pics show up?

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Highside photography has the pics up, I must complain that at no time was I captured displaying my MotoGP conquering cornering skills!

Anyone good at photoshop?

Once I recovered from the humbling experience of realising that there are a lot of faster riders than myself around I had a great time, learnt lots (mostly that I am not a riding god) and once I resolve a couple of technical difficulties with the Ducati will be ready for March. It was my first time on Hampton Downs and I was surprised at how technical the track was, there was a lot more to it than just a few corners linked together and I was only just starting to get a couple of them right by the end of the day.
    I was in group 2 on the elderly 900SS, anyone else from here in my group?

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Wish I had seen this earlier. Would have been keen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Can't make this one, but would be interested to have a blast on my Hornet 250, a lot of Bikers I polled for advice said Track Days were a good place to learn skills safely that can be translated into making you a better road rider.
    Can definitely recommend trackdays. Even with a smaller cc bike. It's good fun and it's good for a chicken like me to gain some confidence and skills.

I'm still the slowest out there, but who cares. (if I'm the only one with a 250 I've got a good excuse lol)
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
    ---------------------------

Thread Information