Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Orange Street Triple R on Akaroa Highway? (2 January)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    As for fuel consumption traffic density can play a part there too if you have to do a lot of stops and starts prohibiting a smooth ride too.
    Nope... smooth riding is quite attainable, and even with traffic lights, you can work to smooth them out as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If the sign says 70km anything above it would have an element of danger otherwise there is no point in the suggested speed limit which has most likely been set based on the number of crashes on that bend. There are possibly more people in the cemetery as a result of going over the suggested limit than sticking to it.
    You really are funny ... or ....

How the corner speed advisory signs are NOT set by the number of crashes at that spot ...

A vehicle with an instrument which shows the G-forces to the side as the corner is turned at a speed. There is a limit (not sure of actual figure) that must not be exceeded (That may risk vehicle rollover). The testing vehicle negotiates the corner (at various speeds) until the speed the required G-force is found.

Speed advisory signs are not speed limits as such (you cant be ticketed for exceeding them) ...

But if you crash/loose control on a corner while exceeding said advised limit ... in any later court appearance ... the judge will take that point into "consideration" ... and not generally in your favor.

See ... you learn something on KB each visit ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    My gripe was not about the speed being fast or dangerous but the claim of it being safe. If poster 1 had never mentioned the word safe I would not have any debate regardless of how fast the guy was going
    Your gripe was based on Muppet's opinion on what was smooth, fast and safe ... ???

And you didn't believe him ... No actual speed or location was given ... and the gripe continues with no facts to back you up ...

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ... as there is a reduction in stopping time... eh.

...well, that is what good brakes are for...innit...

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    just like a sore tooth, had to do it

Bike
    Sold it
    If the sign says 70km anything above it would have an element of danger otherwise there is no point in the suggested speed limit which has most likely been set based on the number of crashes on that bend. There are possibly more people in the cemetery as a result of going over the suggested limit than sticking to it.
    When I did my defensive driving course (a few years ago now) our tutor told us the suggested speed was there as a guide for a safe speed to negotiate the bend in any vehicle in any conditions. Possibly a slight over-simplification if you want to start talking snow or whatnot, but I've happily used that as a guide for many incident free years. Anyone I see slowing to the suggested speed in good conditions fills me with the utmost contempt.
    "Stupidity has a certain charm about it. Ignorance doesn't." --- Frank Zappa.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by tbs View Post
    When I did my defensive driving course (a few years ago now) our tutor told us the suggested speed was there as a guide for a safe speed to negotiate the bend in any vehicle in any conditions. Possibly a slight over-simplification if you want to start talking snow or whatnot, but I've happily used that as a guide for many incident free years. Anyone I see slowing to the suggested speed in good conditions fills me with the utmost contempt.
    That's pretty good summary of curve advisory signage. I feel the same way when I see the vehicle in front slow to 65 when it hits the 65 sign. Usually I just pass it off as a tourist who is unfamiliar with our roads, clearly that it is not always the case.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    When I was younger, and still in a cage, the advisory limits may or may not have a target....

The goal may have been to double it....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis

Cog

They are set as FJrider says but are (more aimed at) truck advisory limits. If you have difficulty negotiating a 70 on SH75 at 70 you have a problem with your ability (skill level) and are more than likely to create issues for other traffic when you slow down so much (presuming you were near the 100 limit before the turn). I could offer to give you some coaching but I'm probably not experienced enough in your opinion ...and I don't always obey the road rules, I generally make them up as I go along

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    The goal may have been to double it....
    That is not an uncommon claim. In the event that I was doing double the suggested speed I'd be too busy to look at the speedo. I'm sure though that some people can actually do that.

With the exception of the very slow ones, 25kph and slower which tend to be quite accurate, I pay no attention whatsoever to the sign other than to note there is a corner there. A motorcyclist taking the corners at the posted advisory speed would be so rare as to be almost unique. And not in a good way.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    A far bigger issue created for other traffic would be when poeple crash on bends going too fast and end up blocking the road completely. No I dont need coaching on how to break road rules thanks I can do that myself.
    I was being sarcastic....you couldn't pay me enough to coach you, I just hope newer riders never come to you for advice

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MVnut View Post
    I was being sarcastic....you couldn't pay me enough to coach you, I just hope newer riders never come to you for advice
    She's just full of good advice ...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130672025

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...starting to sound more like a hazard than a careful rider...

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    I take the advisory limits, as the maximum speed the corner could be negotiated by a 1954 Austin A40 in average condition..........
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Thread Information