Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange Street Triple R on Akaroa Highway? (2 January)

Bike
    Sold
    So Muppet starts a thread praising a rider for excellent roadcraft. In typical Kiwi Biker fashion, it then degenerates into misinterpretations and general ignorance by idiots who clearly have no idea about Roadcraft - well done!

If I was the Street Triple rider, I wouldn't want a video of his riding posted anywhere public to invite further stupid comments.

For riders who genuinely want to see a great example of good roadcraft on YouTube, have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UeBwIlAlxs. It was produced for the Highways Authority in the UK using an IAM/RoSPA level rider and his commentary clearly shows his high level of situational awareness. In IAM, we would expect a rider who is ready to sit the Advanced Test to deliver a similar commentary.

Bike
    a smurf
    there is a video of this akaroa ride?? well less talk and more show..

and I think some of the "riders" on this site should sell their bikes and get a bus ticket cause you seem to be a bunch of moaning nanas
    who always have something negative to say about others riding if they don't ride the way you want them to..

but yeah post the video.. do it..!!!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
    Not what he was getting at, You can apply the brakes throughout a corner without standing the bike up, I believe he was saying by not giving yourself any leeway in the event shit goes wrong (due to whatever event or unforeseen circumstances) and you have to change your line your only option available is the road shoulder, all so you could see a little further down a section of road you haven't actually got to yet.
    Fully aware of that and can brake in that style no worries, didn't want to get too long winded explained every detail when all I'm saying is you can ride those wider lines and still have options, it doesn't mean being right on the edge of the berm cutting the grass etc...
    Blackbird, just scanned through that vid quickly, looks what I call normal competent road reading that's natural and common sense to me. Looks a lot like the hazard video they added to the licence test when I was over there which is the one single piece of road safety brilliance I've ever seen govt dept produce. Aimed at learners of course, but they use a similar video where you have to anticipate those hazards and click the mouse button straight away. All along the lines of getting people into the mindset of what could happen up ahead.

Bike
    speed speed SPEED
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Motorcycles. Just ride the fucking things.
    Wot he said

Other then that, I own a Speed Triple, I don't have to try and look cool, The rest of the world just looks on in awe.
    Best post in the thread so far............
    It's all Shits and Giggles until someone Giggles and Shits

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Thats understandable if he knew the curvature of each bend in the road but if someone comes around the bend slightly over the centre line he has less likelyhood of avoiding a crash than the cars he overtook.
    you should change your name to Asperger's.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I have an orange ST-R.

Wasn't me.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I have been riding for 38 years so motorcycling is hardly not my thing. I respect your right to think those not skilled in "Roadcraft" can not enjoy motorcycling. Everyone has a different threshhold for risk eh.
    This is about the 3rd time I have read posts by you talking about your "38years" of experience riding bikes, you forget to mention how many years experience you have jumping to conclusions

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Ok, so you made a statement, and provided zero clarification or information, so while I'm aware of your position you haven't enlightened me as to why you hold that view.

well fucking done.
    I don't have a "position", and my statement clearly referred to your own excellent advice, which happened to perfectly describe the technique you were attempting to discredit.

Guess you could have another go at discrediting it, using different advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    What's late apexing got to do with road riding?
    It's a term used to describe the same technique you referred to as "the whole IAM ethos":

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    And therein lies my only problem with the whole IAM ethos.

It would appear that staying wide in a corner (in order to maximise your view through a corner) out-weighs the inherent danger of positioning yourself somewhere that is highly likely to be scattered with roadside detritus.
    And, while I haven't read the book I'm pretty certain the technique has fuck all to do with positioning yourself anywhere likely to be scattered with detritus. Which sorta makes your "problem" a bit redundant.

'Course, you could always ask one of the senior proponents for clarification of the technique and it's rationale, because it sounds very likely you know fuck all about it.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I don't have a "position", and my statement clearly referred to your own excellent advice, which happened to perfectly describe the technique you were attempting to discredit.

Guess you could have another go at discrediting it, using different advice...
    And there's your problem, I wasn't trying to discredit fuck all, I was trying to clarify to numbnuts why being on the vertge of the road wasn't the greatest place in the world. I care not in the slightest if that is or isn't part of some ethos.

Who uses a word like that anyhow?

But seeing as we are here and you're holding it up as the holy grail, enlighten us poor ignorant souls in a paragraph or two.

Bike
    Sold
    ....... give the impression some create an impression their teaching will make riders feel bullet proof.
    As I said before if this riding school was as good as you claim why is a pass not compulsary to get a licence?
    That's the problem with debates on a forum - anything said can and will be misinterpreted! I wasn't going to bother to waste my breath again but I will make one comment on the above. IAM is not a "riding school". You can do your own reading on it. The measurable basis for mentoring to Advanced Test standard is the UK Police Roadcraft manual. Expecting a beginner to ride to an advanced standard will give a predictable result. It's there for people who wish to progress further. I might also add that with the introduction of the new CBTA motorcycle tests (which IAM has no involvement with), NZTA has higher expectations of the training providers and one of the qualification options is to be a holder of the IAM or RoSPA Advanced Test.

Another advantage is that my insurer gives me a hefty discount for being an Advanced Test holder

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    'Course, you could always ask one of the senior proponents for clarification of the technique and it's rationale, because it sounds very likely you know fuck all about it.
    I don't know exactly how senior the IAM proponent I spoke to about the wide cornering technique is.

Maybe I'll ask him next time I see him.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    As I said an opinion from Rastus would be interesting to confirm or deny that safety is not compromised by going fast around bends. I am sure his opinion would settle the debate one way or the other and after reading his comments in the Speed Tolerance reduction thread I could not see him agreeing with those posters from the IAMS riding school who feel going fast around bends likely about the recomended limit can be safe.

I didn't buy a bike to ride in an upright position around 65k corners at 65k. Can I have your tyres after you're done wearing out the middle?

OP was saying the rider was smooth and fast. He never said the rider was too fast. A fluid smooth rider can go around a corner fairly fast and still have room to adjust to road surface changes or other traffic. Unless you're at 100% of your ability around every corner, you have room to avoid hazzards.

Bike
    Not many... If any...
    JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!

Ask him he'll know if its dangerous or not.... Opinions are in the mouth of the retard......

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    You just dont get it do you as my comment about poster 1 was the claim that riders could take bends fast but still be safe. While a further coment said he did not exceed the speed limit was he meaning the open road limit or the recomended limit that most bends on that road have? I am guessing that he exceeded the recomended limit and still claims he was as safe as anyone or even safer having been to a riding school. There could very well be a case of many riders going to riding schools who come away with an over confident level in their ability because of the education. I do not want to put down riding schools as such but the claim
    made by poster 1 and yourself give the impression some create an impression their teaching will make riders feel bullet proof.
    As I said before if this riding school was as good as you claim why is a pass not compulsary to get a licence?
    Not sure where you get all your high and mighty attitude from.
    You may not be aware but even after 34 years or whatever you been riding, you just may not be as good as you think you are.
    It also may be possible that many other riders a far better than you. So they may be able to take corners faster than you and yet "god forbid" they may even do it safely at that higher speed than you.
    Perhaps it may be a good idea not to judge others riding on your nana ability.
    There was never anything about exceeding speed limits anywhere in the post nor was there any claim to absolute speed of any type. Not sure what the hell you were reading to be honest.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Unless you're at 100% of your ability around every corner, you have room to avoid hazzards.
    There aren't that many orange Dodge Chargers on that road. More's the pity. Yeee Haw!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information