Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cornering lines

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I'm ceaselessly amazed that even though riding in the rain feels very different to the dry, more focus on road surface and a slightly higher pucker factor whenever I check the speedo my speed is the same as it would be in the dry.
    I read in some Michelin blurb that most manufacturers' high silicone compounds were good in the wet for well over 90% of dry grip on the same patch of lab "road".

But I'm pickin' most seasoned riders will appreciate there's a shitload more difference than that on even slightly fuel contaminated surfaces.

So the question of whether to ride in the wet on the shiny car wheel tracks or the oily middle line isn't as straightforward as some suggest. Having said that the choice for any given patch of road seems obvious at the time.

Right up to the point where you feel the back slither away...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I read in some Michelin blurb that most manufacturers' high silicone compounds were good in the wet for well over 90% of dry grip on the same patch of lab "road".

But I'm pickin' most seasoned riders will appreciate there's a shitload more difference than that on even slightly fuel contaminated surfaces.

So the question of whether to ride in the wet on the shiny car wheel tracks or the oily middle line isn't as straightforward as some suggest. Having said that the choice for any given patch of road seems obvious at the time.

Yeah, if you have to lean, lean on the grippiest bit. My rear tire does not do "rain". Any sub par road surface & it steps out very easily. Even taking that into account my progress does not really change. I am ever so tentative on the throttle at times.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Shamelessly taken from a series of articles compiled for an aussie mag by a Stay Upright instructor showing their explanation and instruction for their rider courses held at Eastern creek on cornering techniques.

The road line explanation sums it all up for anything on the road.

Concentrating on visibility and allowing yourself maximum choice for what is ahead

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post

Concentrating on visibility and allowing yourself maximum choice for what is ahead
    Noicely putt.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Green line looks pretty good to me...leads to less brown lines.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Your mom
    I'm ceaselessly amazed that even though riding in the rain feels very different to the dry, more focus on road surface and a slightly higher pucker factor whenever I check the speedo my speed is the same as it would be in the dry. Even in the rain at night.

I guess I,m constantly slow.
    I'm not quite so brave. I slow down a fair bit during the rain.

On wet roads the tyres will be colder, and cold sports tyres don't grip well, so combined with the wet conditions I thought grip would be less than half in the wet compared to dry conditions.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    On wet roads the tyres will be colder, and cold sports tyres don't grip well, so combined with the wet conditions I thought grip would be less than half in the wet compared to dry conditions.
    All the more reason not to use sports tyres where they're not designed to be used.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    A

In theory there's loads of grip available even in the wet, but yup it's them variables of surface contamination and just shiny shite that makes life hard.

And yeah sport vs sport touring tyres feel a little different in the wet, but given most of us ease off a bit anyway in the wet, the hoohaa about tyre temps is less important than keeping smooth and steady progress.

Bike
    Your mom
    All the more reason not to use sports tyres where they're not designed to be used.
    I do want to get into track days though. I have ridden with a PP 2CT on the rear and a PP up front in the rain before, and I could corner surprisingly fast with no sign of slippage. I was just more smooth than usual, and corners could easily be taken at 1/3 more speed than the advisory speed for that corner, which is fast enough for me in the rain.

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    I do want to get into track days though. I have ridden with a PP 2CT on the rear and a PP up front in the rain before, and I could corner surprisingly fast with no sign of slippage. I was just more smooth than usual, and corners could easily be taken at 1/3 more speed than the advisory speed for that corner, which is fast enough for me in the rain.
    Iv'e ridden track days on 2ct and they are fine. Drop the pressures and tehy grip just fine and yea they are pretty reasonable in the wet too. just chuck in a few more pounds of air and they start gripping in the wet again.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I'm not quite so brave. I slow down a fair bit during the rain.

I feel as if I am, too, hence my amazement when I check the speedo. I use less throttle, less brakes & a bit less lean but my progress is the same. Can't quite figure out why.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubber View Post
    Iv'e ridden track days on 2ct and they are fine. Drop the pressures and tehy grip just fine and yea they are pretty reasonable in the wet too. just chuck in a few more pounds of air and they start gripping in the wet again.
    Suzuki recommend 36 psi for both tyres. I run the front at 36 psi and the rear at 38 psi. What's the reasoning behind more pressure for the wet? Is that because they don't heat up as much, and therefore the pressure doesn't increase as much, so they need more (cold) pressure in order to maintain a suitable warm pressure?

Also, for cold weather in winter, should I run more pressure, like an extra 2 psi? Or less pressure so they warm up faster?

Bike
    I feel as if I am, too, hence my amazement when I check the speedo. I use less throttle, less brakes & a bit less lean but my progress is the same. Can't quite figure out why.
    Is 'cos you is smooooother.

Ever heard of Pace riding? Seems you are doing just that in the wet.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Is 'cos you is smooooother.

Ever heard of Pace riding? Seems you are doing just that in the wet.
    Not heard of pace riding but you nailed where my head is at. Oy also tink that I concentrate slightly more in the wet and so am more aware of what I'm doing. Obviously a bit less concern with throttle & brakes in the dry but my input must be similar.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Not heard of pace riding but you nailed where my head is at. Oy also tink that I concentrate slightly more in the wet and so am more aware of what I'm doing. Obviously a bit less concern with throttle & brakes in the dry but my input must be similar.
    Well, now you have. You homework is to google the hell out of the term and read all you can, then go practice the hell out of it all the time, wet or dry. Your tyres will last longer, your bike will use less fuel, you'll forget the last time you replaced your brake pads etc - and you'll still be as fast as your mates.
    My theory is the throttle makes you go fast/er, so why not use it to slow as well? Brakes are for stopping or emergencies. AND if you pay more attention (your words...'more aware') like you should anyway, you'll have even less emergency braking requirement. 'ear wot oi'm sayin' guv?

Thread Information