Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is NZ's police pursuit policy regarding vehicles?

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    No, they have Verandas.

Mitsubishi Verandas? Fancy stuff.. & I thought they only got the plain-jane V3000s..

Bike
    2008 R6
    So back in the early days of motorcycle forms circa 1999, there was this fellow that use to go by the handle Voodoo (different site btw). There was a similar post and folks talking about not out running radios and helicopters..... and got all excited and mentioned "I'll give you a helicopter and two radios and you still won't catch me."

Shortly after he said that, he disappeared from the forum for a few months. Then all the sudden he reappeared. "Hey guys, I just got out of jail. Police tried to pull me over and I got away. They had a helicopter, had me almost boxed in with cruisers but they couldn't catch me. However, one of the officers recognized a tattoo on my arm." The Police showed up at my house a couple of days later and arrested me."

Obviously I can't verify the story, but his story seemed to jive. Anyway, I found the whole situation quite amusing.

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    So when is a reason not a good one for a police car to light up the ole blues and twos?

I was heading home after a epic days riding a weekend back down a local long stretch of straight road
    When I see coming up from behind a police car with lights all lit up.

I was doing 100k so had a small bit of time to judge his speed with my own and he was honking along and came up on me pretty fast.
    My rusty bullet hole puckered only to be relaxed as he sounded his siren mounted the other side of the road(that was clear at the time) and around me and my already left side hugging DR only to be puckered again the straight and three corners later to the sight of him parked up and getting out of his car!.

To my joy he didn't even look up and let me pass.Not that I was doing anything wrong but old habits from younger days still remain ....Now here is the rub.

As I was heading back into town in the "Wheelbarrow" an hour later with some nice clothes on for a dinner out with the better looking half I drove past the same spot I left this local hero.

Only to see he had set up a common two way breath testing station with his pals and was calmly going about his normal duty.
    Id like to think this was a covert set up as he may have been tipped off to a driver heading his way but an hour plus change seems a long time to wait for your 'Man' at a covert stop.

The only other reason I can think of is he was simply late for work at his posted location.Perhaps there was a half priced Big Mac combo on the line for the first to be there and set up....If so his actions passing me earlier on did seem a bit excessive as I remember thinking as he flew by "Wow I hope he gets there fast to help whoever the poor soul is that's getting murdered.

How I am seeing it or epic Police fail?.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post

FAIL .. he was probably not goign to an emergency or chasing ... so he should not have been in full living colour ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    So when is a reason not a good one for a police car to light up the ole blues and twos?

Blah-blah-blah etc

The only other reason I can think of is he was simply late for work at his posted location.Perhaps there was a half priced Big Mac combo on the line for the first to be there and set up....If so his actions passing me earlier on did seem a bit excessive as I remember thinking as he flew by "Wow I hope he gets there fast to help whoever the poor soul is that's getting murdered.

You don't know what you don't know.....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    FAIL .. he was probably not goign to an emergency or chasing ... so he should not have been in full living colour ..

You KNOW he wasn't going to an emergency??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    A curry the night before and was looking for an appropriate tree to crap behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    You don't know what you don't know.....
    This is true.....Assumption is the basis of many fuck ups after all....But evidence leading to certain unarguable facts however is another matter.

Bike
    bandit
    Yeah .. I know you have to defend your colleagues .. notice I said "probably not" ... just going on the info given he was probably not going to an emergency ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Yeah .. I know you have to defend your colleagues .. notice I said "probably not" ... just going on the info given he was probably not going to an emergency ..

Not 'defending" (Why should I care?) but pointing out the world has too many 'assumptions' mistaken(?) for 'fact'

Just look at Stuff.co.nz etc...

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09
    I had friends who were in the police (in Canada) who occasionally let me know about internal things like when an officer was caught doing 120km/h on a red-light camera. After investigation (photo-radar is administered by 3rd parties, so the ticket still arrives to the police) it was determined the officer wasn't on an emergency call and was just speeding. Suspect there was a lot of internal discussion about that one.

That being said, I don't think there's much will within the police to actually have an audit of the use of lights and sirens. It really wouldn't be difficult to do....any time they were engaged it would log/phone home and the officer would be expected to log an acceptable explanation which could be validated. Setting this up would cost resources, be extra admin for the officers, and is predicated on an assumption that abuse occurs frequently-enough to warrant tracking - and I don't think there's enough interest by anyone to suggest the cost was worth the benefit.

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Hard to out run a chopper.
    I would dispute that statement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbaO8mzByvw
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    So how many cops does it take to stop a Hilux.....????

An entire city kept awake for well over an hour due to this ridiculous pursuit. They say 'low speed' but when he came past my house with only one tyre popped he was hauling and the noise was incredible.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay...ectid=11602446
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    So how many cops does it take to stop a Hilux.....????

An entire city kept awake for well over an hour due to this ridiculous pursuit. They say 'low speed' but when he came past my house with only one tyre popped he was hauling and the noise was incredible.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay...ectid=11602446
    They had to put on a show for the 40 odd locals that joined the pursuit plus onlookers so they would have something to post up on their FB pages......Tis sometimes quite embarrassing to say you come from HB.

A better question may be is what is the max time frame for a armed drug house siege before the cops are given the ok tear gas the joint and bust in?.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    A better question may be is what is the max time frame for a armed drug house siege before the cops are given the ok tear gas the joint and bust in?.
    this, i do not get.

thermal scope. .308. job done.

any human that has willingly harmed 3 others, is unlikely to be recoverable.

Thread Information