Thread: '99 Yamaha R1 flooding?

Bike
    Yamaha R1
    Blog Entries

'99 Yamaha R1 flooding?

Hey all, got a 99 R1, seems to have an issue when riding through town, slow, stop-start kinda thing & it feels like its flooding.
    Most times you can give it a few revs & it clears. Have not noticed it on longer rides, when parked up in garage odd occasions
    it has a petrol smell until i turn the tap off. Confused & pissed off.
    Any help, NICE advice would be cool, thanks

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    she's fucked for sure. i'll take that mess off your hands for a cool hundy.

Bike
    Yamaha R1
    Blog Entries
    HAHAHA yea sounds cool mate but ill try fix it myself first

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah its a 15yr old bike, it will need some maintenance. Which is cool, but be prepared to get your hands dirty.

What servicing has been done since you've owned it?

For a start pull it down & pull the plugs & see if they look black as soot. To get there you'll need to pull the tank & airbox/carbs, but that bit is easy. While you are doing that investigate any seeping petrol. Leaks from tank joins are a bit dangerous, my old YZF needed some attn here. Leaks from worn carb float valves or crud under the float valves could be the issue.

If the plugs are sooty as opposed to just old & f'd, then emulsion tubes on carbs can wear, sometimes on a couple of carbs worse than the others. High mileage?

while digging for plugs it might be easier (probablly quicker to do job properly than grovel) to take rad off. This is easy too & Yams appreciate a flush & new coolant. they go a yucky brown & obviously that isn't good to leave it like that in an ally engine. thermostat is likely hidden under carbs, pull it out & flush both ways with a hose (blocking off open engine orifices).

If you have air give the plug holes a squirt before pulling plugs, or fashion a hose & use the vacuum just in case stone/dirt found its way down there.

Well that's saturday morning planned for ya.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by bones135 View Post
    HAHAHA yea sounds cool mate but ill try fix it myself first
    If its sort of stuttering from a stop when you leave lights etc, check your TPS.
    It's easy and quick to sort out, it's in the manual. I have a pdf manual if you need a copy I can try and email you or something.

as mentioned above, a general service will help things overall, but I assume that people who have enough experience to ride a litre bike have enough experience to know to do some basic servicing before asking for help on little issues such as these!

Bike
    Yamaha R1
    Blog Entries
    Done the plugs, cleaned & also put new ones in, not hugely black but some crap on there. Just working my way through basic options before stripping carbs etc.
    Cheers guys

Thread Information