Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How dodgy is scraping foot pegs on sports bike or sports tourer?

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Went a little quick round a corner, had to lean more than usual. Scraped my peg and my boot, first time scraping and got both! Wasn't bad but I wasn't really expecting it.

Actually took a chunk out the sole (crusty old boots given to me, soles were kinda rooted anyway). I never noticed it until one day I was riding in the rain and my left foot suddenly felt a bit damp. Taught me to lift my foot. Oh and not to go so quick into certain corners.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FZR250 View Post
    Scraped my peg and my boot, first time scraping and got both! Wasn't bad but I wasn't really expecting it.
    Check where you are placing your feet on the pegs. You should have the ball of your foot on the pegs, and this will definitely reduce the chance of scraping boots. Worst case scenario, your boot gets caught and drags your foot under the peg...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    S1000RR

Peg touch = can't be too good

Sure, with some effort it is easily possible to scrape pegs on a sports bike. People say "peg folds" but in reality, while you are cornering (hard), you have a lot of your weight pressure on the leaning footpeg so the peg actually DON'T fold. With some weight pressure on scraping peg, you unload some pressure to the rear tyre; hence can lose grip on the rear (easily). Yes, I've had some fish tailing moments.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Check where you are placing your feet on the pegs. You should have the ball of your foot on the pegs, and this will definitely reduce the chance of scraping boots. Worst case scenario, your boot gets caught and drags your foot under the peg...
    Yeah I got off very lightly that time. I find it uncomfortable to continually ride with the ball of my foot constantly on the pegs, so I move my foot up when I see a corner - not done it since. Lesson learned.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Peg scraping on a 650 Bandit is pretty standard riding procedure, no need to worry mate. They fold, so slam the bastards down.
    They scrape earlier if your wife/boyfriend/rohypnol-filled-slut is fat too, or just near the bike. Suspension made of tasty, tasty cheese.

On proper manly sportbikes pegs only scrape when I am about to get my spine and head down, then up, then down again
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    As long as you don't panic you won't die.

It can happen occasionally when you start to enjoy yourself a bit much, as long as mrs on the back doesn't notice it's all good.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    You should have the ball of your foot on the pegs...
    Yet another thing we disagree on.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    On a lot of sports bikes they often have "sissy pegs" (people have other names for them as well) that protrude below the main pegs. Those bits that protrude down are you're first warning that you are starting to run low on ground clearance. People often take them off when they go onto the track.

This next bit is conjecture, and should not be considered "fact" (consider it my "opinion"). Generally you can expect your tyres to hold on up to the point where the sissy pegs start to touch down. If the sissy pegs are removed IMHO you need to step up to a sport style tyre (not sport-touring) so as to be assured the tyres have reasonable traction at those higher lean angles.

I'll leave it up to the person riding the bike to say weather they should be using this much lean angle on the road or not, since obviously they know when they are using the extra lean angle and not me, and what situation that is in.

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    would you ride with your heals in the pegs ?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    would you ride with your heals in the pegs ?
    Different body position to different types of bikes I guess. I wouldn't ride ball on pegs on a Harley.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    None any more
    Scraping cruiser pegs is really exciting when one discovers that they aren't designed to fold up. Thank you Suzuki Marauder 800 for improving my understanding of what "tripodding" means.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I think I'll be able to survive the rejection

Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    This next bit is conjecture, and should not be considered "fact" (consider it my "opinion"). Generally you can expect your tyres to hold on up to the point where the sissy pegs start to touch down. If the sissy pegs are removed IMHO you need to step up to a sport style tyre (not sport-touring) so as to be assured the tyres have reasonable traction at those higher lean angles.
    I would have said there are far too many variables amongst bikes and tyres to actually draw any conclusions. Example 1, lost a feeler when I touched it down on the road on a Blackbird, but didn't reach the edge of the tyre. The feelers will touch down more easily as per my first post, soft suspension, heavy load, heavy rider etc, are all going to bring the feelers closer to the ground without any other changes. Different tyres also have different profiles, so you'll hit their edge sooner or later, depending.

Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Different body position to different types of bikes I guess. I wouldn't ride ball on pegs on a Harley.
    He's not asking about cruisers though. Plenty probably have floorboards too, and those definitely don't fold up.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Plenty probably have floorboards too, and those definitely don't fold up.
    Really?

You really should try doing some research first and opening your mouth later.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Really?

You really should try doing some research first and opening your mouth later.
    The ones I've ridden didn't... Good enough for me, since the thread isn't about cruisers.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    The ones I've ridden didn't... Good enough for me, since the thread isn't about cruisers.
    Except that you replied directly to a post that mentioned Harleys.

Thread Information