Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How dodgy is scraping foot pegs on sports bike or sports tourer?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie2012 View Post
    You've confirmed in my mind that scrapping a peg must take some weight off one of both of your tyres, which can't be a good thing for bike stability while cornering, especially for someone of my novice skills to recover.

I am a bit confused about the different views on inside/outside peg weighting - are some riders saying that you should bias your weight on the outside peg during cornering, or just that you should still have weight on the outside peg ? .
    Ummmmm...no it doesn't. Only if they're not the folding type...which is very rare.

Next...if you're a *novice*, the last thing you should be doing is getting even close to dragging shit.

Next...ah no. Pretty sure only one person has said to weight the inside peg through the turn...and they'd be wrong. Well wrong.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I find grinding your centre stand is the best way to lift a wheel in a corner. At this point the peg is usually squishing your boot against the bike frame.
    Orsome sparks, though.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I find grinding your centre stand is the best way to lift a wheel in a corner. At this point the peg is usually squishing your boot against the bike frame.
    Orsome sparks, though.
    Depends on the bike, I've scraped the centre and side stands on the BMW, enough to worry at some point in the future whether there is enough metal left on the stand. Usually only happens 2up (might have to discuss when suspension is serviced) but I've never scraped the pegs or my boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Depends on the bike, I've scraped the centre and side stands on the BMW,
    Can't be trying hard enough Ive scraped rocker covers, they hit the deck about the same time as the non folding pegs an then it all turns bad
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Being old (school), I've never really come to terms with knee down, etc, so, with a suspect cornering technique and tired suspension, I've ground away at footpegs on various Yamaha 750's (FZR and YZF) at old Taupo, and once had a grinding session on the GSXR1000's pegs coming down the Rimutakas. But...I was playing sillybuggers!
    I've scraped the end of the muffler on a GT750 Ducati - but that was with the missus on the back and a bump mid corner....
    I did ground a centre stand tag mid corner on a T250 Suzuki once....but that all ended badly.......my introduction to highsides!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Before I went over to the dark side I used to scrape the TDM pegs when fully loaded. The one up over more so than the one down here. The up over bike has full givi luggage which I fill, nay, cram, for my Y'erpean jaunts. A month or two on the road.
    Yeah, mid corner compressions will do it.
    It was my old 750 kwaka which used to grind everything, side stand, centre stand, which eventually snapped & the zorsts. It was tougher than most hedges, too. Ahh, the ignorance & enthusiasm of yoof.
    Glad I got that out of my system.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Can't be trying hard enough Ive scraped rocker covers, they hit the deck about the same time as the non folding pegs an then it all turns bad
    Send it for a visit to the Doc then... the scraping was worse on stock suspension, 2up mode while 1up with some gear and I was dragging the stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Back when we were a single car, but many bike family, I used to ferry the girls to various after school activities on the XS1 (1971 XS650) . It'd be going Chink, Chink, Chink as it wallowed around the corners, touching down pegs and exhausts as the frame flexed. The girls grew up pre teens on the back of that bike, thinking it was normal that bikes made noises around corners as I took them to dancing or gym lessons.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    err, one is black and one is blue ...
    Doh !

Your insight on what probably seemed a strange question has made me wake up to the fact I wasn't riding properly. Now getting my body into a better position and keeping weight even on pegs, which has freed up my arms more so bike is more nimble and feeling smoother (but still the same bike, go figure !). Did a ride out to Bethels and then onto Piha to practice, couldn't stop smiling all week.

A big thanks guys. Another score for the KB Mentor programme.

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    Depends on the bike, I've scraped the centre and side stands on the BMW, enough to worry at some point in the future whether there is enough metal left on the stand. Usually only happens 2up (might have to discuss when suspension is serviced) but I've never scraped the pegs or my boots.
    Yea I have scaped the side stand 2up on LH corners. Find winding the suspension to full hard helps though. Also slowwing down for LH espcially if it looks bumpy.
    Used to have a C50 & dragged the boards for fun on pretty much any corner. Have to lift inside foot or it gets squashed as the boards fold up.
    SIGN HERE X

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Bike
    bandit
    You should have the ball of your foot on the pegs,
    I just knew this was going to come up .. and the resulting argument ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Weight should be on the opp peg as far as I'm concerned.
    And this one ... pushing on the footpeg is much like counter-steering ... it gets the bike set up for the corner quicker .. but is really only noticeable at very high speeds .. such as professional racers use .. for road riding it's hardly worth it ...

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2012 View Post
    I am a bit confused about the different views on inside/outside peg weighting - are some riders saying that you should bias your weight on the outside peg during cornering, or just that you should still have weight on the outside peg ? I've found that putting more weight (but not all my weight) on the inside peg of my rather 'robustly' built GSX650 while getting set up for the corner makes the bike far smoother & easier to counterturn into the corner, plus keeps the bike more upright in wet weather. If I weight the outside peg, I have to move the bars further and lean the bike more to do the same line and speed through the same corner.
    Yes - exactly ... counter-steering is enhanced by pushing on the footpeg ... in the corner, balance the bike on the revs ... (on an FU that might not be so easy as they are under-powered ... )

Next...if you're a *novice*, the last thing you should be doing is getting even close to dragging shit.

I'm inclined to agree - however what he describes tells me he's a fast learner - and will soon be racing on the track ..

Next...ah no. Pretty sure only one person has said to weight the inside peg through the turn...and they'd be wrong. Well wrong.
    Hmm .. I'm a little surprised at your response ... I thought you would have known about pushing on the pegs to add to the counter steering forces of pushing on the bars ...

PS .. I'm not that shit hot a rider that I use the technique .. but then, I don't own a sprots bike either ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    And this one ... pushing on the footpeg is much like counter-steering ... it gets the bike set up for the corner quicker .. but is really only noticeable at very high speeds .. such as professional racers use .. for road riding it's hardly worth it ...

Hmm .. I'm a little surprised at your response ... I thought you would have known about pushing on the pegs to add to the counter steering forces of pushing on the bars ...

PS .. I'm not that shit hot a rider that I use the technique .. but then, I don't own a sprots bike either ..
    Think your not understanding what I'm saying mate. I'm referring to the comment that stated you have all of your weight on the inside peg through the corner. Because that's bullshit.

Bike
    bandit
    Think your not understanding what I'm saying mate. I'm referring to the comment that stated you have all of your weight on the inside peg through the corner. Because that's bullshit.
    Yeah .. you are right ... that would be bullshit ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2006 VTR250, 1986 VFR700F

Mandatory on sprot bikes innit?!

Started my riding on a first gen VT250F... could even get the passenger pegs to scrape

...kinda more relaxed now

On the whole weighting thing - having read Twist of the Wrist 2 I found my riding style, smoothness, speed, and comfort all took a giant leap forward - for any who haven't read it, or seen the video, it's a mine of info!

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    On my old KR150, the expansion chamber would occasionally touch down when leant over. It gave me quite a shock the first time that it happened.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Thread Information