Thread: ZXR250 Electrical Problems - HELP!

Bike
    1994, Kawasaki, ZXR250

ZXR250 Electrical Problems - HELP!

Hi all,
    I have been reading your forums for some time and have finally got round to joining up as there aren't really any decent motorbike forums from around here! I'm from Melbourne Aust. and have just purchased a second hand 1994 ZXR250. So far I have found a few problems but it was riding really well until two nights ago.
    It seems there is an electrical problem. As I am relatively new to bikes I don't really know how to approach the problem. I came out one morning and turned the ignition on, the lights lit up as they should; pressed the starter and it turned over a couple of times and then the relay under the seat clicked and the power completely died. Now every now and then the ignition lights up again but the headlight remains off. When I press the starter again the relay clicks and power dies.
    I so I thought it may have been a battery problem so I roll started it last night and it started ok. But when i gave it any throttle at all it ran really roughly and the tacho went bezerk. Almost like the Ignition control was getting some serious intereference. Now get this - when I put on the front brake and the rear brake light came on it idle perfectly and I could rev it all I wanted. I'm stumped. (pity i can't ride with the front brake on!)

I suspect the junction box under the seat may have issues...

Any Ideas?!

Bike
    1994, Kawasaki, ZXR250
    Not as sinister as I first thought. Only an earthing problem; I re-did the earthing cable and charged the battery and all was fine. Albert Park was nice tonight!! =)

Bike
    CBR600F3
    hi there and welcome to the site. Good to hear you got it sorted
    "Resort to the law so exhausts finances, patience, courage, hope, so overthrows the brain and breaks the heart, that there is not one honourable lawyer who would not give the warning "Suffer any wrong rather than come here".

Charles Dickens

Bike
    2000 Suzuki Gsx 1200.
    Welcome to the site and its good you found the problem.
    Allways ride to your skill level and enjoy

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Good work.

You can also have similar problems when your starter solenoid is shitting itself.

Bike
    2007 DL650 V-Strom
    Golly... I wonder if my "tacho speed doubling and engine power loss" problem could be caused by a bung earth??

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    only just read this now, was gonna suggest checking the connections . Had the same problem twice with my bike, just from me being lazy and not doing shit up properly... on that note who wants to buy my bike
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Thread Information