Page 424 of 1072 FirstFirst ... 324374414422423424425426434474524924 ... LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 16076

Thread: Optimistic sellers

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I find all three appeal much more than the idiocy we normally come across in this thread. At first I too preferred the Matchless, but it appears to be a chopped road bike (as was common) rather than a CS model so I've gone off that.

Good, I can save my money.
    They are also missing the essential ingredients of cool:
    Brown seat
    Exhaust wrap
    Digital speedo
    Jailbar rear light on sideways plate
    Cut down guards

I'll think of more after my beard wax and Parrot Dog Bitterbitch IPA
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2004ZX6R

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Actually is only $8000, must be a typo. I see that Axehole(number8) has given his usual abuse to a first time poster.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    To be fair, first time posters should be prohibited form buy/sell. It's pretty obnoxious joining a community for the sole purpose of selling your shit.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    To be fair, first time posters should be prohibited form buy/sell. It's pretty obnoxious joining a community for the sole purpose of selling your shit.
    This and add join to complain about someone that sold them something.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Thing is about old Brit nails; I can't imagine how they ever got this untouchable reputation for handling. All the frames had enormous unsupported bends in them. I was helping with a Goldie on the dyno and was surprised at the flattened framerail bottom right. That was the best bodge they could think of? And of course the suspension was cruder than a crude thing.
    Maybe I missed the early Jap bikes and came in aircooled RDs and GS550s, but sheesh!
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Thing is about old Brit nails; I can't imagine how they ever got this untouchable reputation for handling. All the frames had enormous unsupported bends in them. I was helping with a Goldie on the dyno and was surprised at the flattened framerail bottom right. That was the best bodge they could think of? And of course the suspension was cruder than a crude thing.
    Maybe I missed the early Jap bikes and came in aircooled RDs and GS550s, but sheesh!
    Weeeellll.....The better brit stuff - the Nortons and goldies actually did handle pretty well. particularly compared to the early jap products.
    I can only put it down to many years of developing basically the same thing to the last degree - because you couldn't afford to build anything else...
    A straight Norton frame handles well - power on or off. A BSA handles well with the power on, but don't shut off....
    Don't forget Dave, tyres weren't much cop so the loads going into the frame were not anywhere near what we have now.

In the early days of the Classic Register, I ran a Domiracer and took Kirby's advice on rubber. Fitted the sticky Michelins he was proddy racing on at the time.
    The extra grip was - interesting....If you were trying hard, front end patter going into the Ruapuna sweeper, then power on hard and the rear weaved...
    Not many years earlier my good manx on triangulars could be drifted around the same corner.

Bike
    83 RZ350/85 RZ250R/84 RZ350R/84 RZ350K
    Blog Entries
    WTF 7k says he needs the money soon for his big OE, hope he's not needing it to soon!!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1303765263.htm

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Thing is about old Brit nails; I can't imagine how they ever got this untouchable reputation for handling. !
    In my totally unqualified opinion it was probably because they didn't have enough horsepower to highlite the deficiencies of their frames. MV Agusta, Honda and others reportedly had handling problems. They were using the same primitive frame technology as the Poms but their frames had to deal with a lot more ponies.

That and a somewhat unrealistic nostalgia when looking at the past through rose, white, and blue, tinted glasses.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    In my totally unqualified opinion it was probably because they didn't have enough horsepower to highlite the deficiencies of their frames. MV Agusta, Honda and others reportedly had handling problems. They were using the same primitive frame technology as the Poms but their frames had to deal with a lot more ponies.

That and a somewhat unrealistic nostalgia when looking at the past through rose, white, and blue, tinted glasses.
    Very possibly - but I'd point out lap speeds in the IOM. 103mph on 50HP - and 130 odd now. 30% faster on four times the power with road improvements too...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Very possibly - but I'd point out lap speeds in the IOM. 103mph on 50HP - and 130 odd now. 30% faster on four times the power with road improvements too...
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. At 40 to fifty odd bhp the Manx and its frame seem to have been a match. The current bikes with vastly more horse power and their much more advanced frames seem matched too. (Although looking at some of those IoM video clips might make you wonder.)

I don't think it follows that four times the power could be expected to reduce the lap times to 25% of what they had been previously.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    As a rather mediocre classic racer I'm amazed how well some of them 'old nails' go.

I did swap my BMW for a few laps round Taupo on my mates Triumph T140 and the difference between a light Brit and a German touring bike was very obvious.

The BMW was called the " rubber cow" when it came out, but can't say I've ever noticed it.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruder VS View Post
    WTF 7k says he needs the money soon for his big OE, hope he's not needing it to soon!!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1303765263.htm
    I think he needs plan a South Island trip. It should fetch him a ferry ticket and bus to Oamaru plus couple of nights at a backbackers. Maybe even some hot chips and burger at Jumbos. Freedom camping is an option.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well technically it is 'overseas'. I was going to suggest Melbourne, I mean, I assume he has some other money, like what Dad gave him.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Well technically it is 'overseas'. I was going to suggest Melbourne, I mean, I assume he has some other money, like what Dad gave him.
    I think Cook straight qualifies. I suspect it'll have to.

He might have to hitch to Welly but...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information