Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 835 of 839 FirstFirst ... 335735785825833834835836837 ... LastLast
Results 12,511 to 12,525 of 12573

Thread: Optimistic sellers

  1. #12511
    Join Date
    1st June 2014 - 21:23
    Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Location
    nelson
    Posts
    179
    You just based that whole post on a heap of assumptions.

  2. #12512
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    You just based that whole post on a heap of assumptions.
    Netpicking ( formally in meatspace known as nit picking)....its the times we live in

    Anyhow's..the sheds calling.... those Carbon Fiber Ali Express mufflers are going to complement the brown lowbrow custom seat and designer exhaust wrap on the Commando....can wait to put it on TM for 30K
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  3. #12513
    Join Date
    28th January 2015 - 16:17
    Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Location
    Lower Hutt
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    You just based that whole post on a heap of assumptions.
    Well, the crunch is if it sells for the asking price. I don't rate the odds - what else can you currently get for that money? - but maybe someone will go for it.

  4. #12514
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Netpicking ( formally in meatspace known as nit picking)....its the times we live in

    Anyhow's..the sheds calling.... those Carbon Fiber Ali Express mufflers are going to complement the brown lowbrow custom seat and designer exhaust wrap on the Commando....can wait to put it on TM for 30K
    Reminds me of an old Bike cartoon with guy knocking on door, lynch mob hiding around the corner: " are you the one advertising the Chopped Vincent?"
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  5. #12515
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Reminds me of an old Bike cartoon with guy knocking on door, lynch mob hiding around the corner: " are you the one advertising the Chopped Vincent?"
    I've seen a few pics of chopped Vincents, believe it or not nostalgia has not always been a big thing.
    Imagine Ford releasing a retro Model T in the 1960's.
    I knew an old boy about 20 years ago who had among other interesting brit bikes a Brough Superior Black Alpine in average condition he picked up in the 60's for " a weeks chippie wages", think he sold it for 35K which at the time I thought was good coin ( I surely didn't have it)
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  6. #12516
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,465
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Reminds me of an old Bike cartoon with guy knocking on door, lynch mob hiding around the corner: " are you the one advertising the Chopped Vincent?"
    more people should do that. Vincent choppers are cool as fuck. Same as any chopper: do it right and its cool, dont do it right and its lame
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  7. #12517
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,636
    Blog Entries
    1
    Many years ago I met a guy, it was near Johnsonville if I recall. He'd just completed a Norvin and had worn out a rear tyre in his first afternoon of riding it. As far as I recall his bike looked good. Done right it's OK, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

  8. #12518
    Join Date
    15th May 2008 - 19:13
    Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Interesting. I've not heard that about zinc before - I'd have thought the opposite, the zinc would make a relatively soft bearing surface on steel etc and thus actually help correct torquing. Perhaps the zinc then flows away under high pressure, thus reducing the clamping force? Or the zinc shreds in the last phase of tightening, hence the torquing issue? Curious.

    Agree with lightly oiled or 243 Loctite (formulated to same viscosity as light oil), clean threads, no dirt, no bent or bashed threads, should be able to twirl a fastener home between finger and thumb or else something's wrong.

    Your alloy spacer: I take it that this was alloy contacting a steel sprocket? I've tended to find that alloy on alloy grips really well, the metal bonds together... alloy on steel doesn't, it forms a bearing pair instead and things slip.
    From memory, the term he used in relation to the zinc plating was "torque scatter", but I was struggling to keep up and it was 15 years ago.

    Hub is mag or alloy (with steel inserts for the threads), spacer is alloy, alloy sprocket. I think there was some crushing of the spacer or sprocket and tension being lost, which then lost the interface

  9. #12519
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,847
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Many years ago I met a guy, it was near Johnsonville if I recall. He'd just completed a Norvin and had worn out a rear tyre in his first afternoon of riding it. .
    i like comedians.

  10. #12520
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,465
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i like comedians.
    I realise you have a Vincent, but even a restorer such as yourself must see that every chopper, every NorVin or VinCati (my personal favourite) must increase the value of the remainder?

    I know a few hot rodders and they get similar reactions from the VCC as they are taking the angle grinder to a 34 Ford - more power to them IMO.
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  11. #12521
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,852
    What, 240V or are thinking higher?
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  12. #12522
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,465
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    What, 240V or are thinking higher?
    11kV FTW!!!!!
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

  13. #12523
    Join Date
    17th June 2010 - 16:44
    Bike
    bandit
    Location
    Bay of Plenty
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Calling superannuation "welfare" implies you are getting something that you haven't earned. OK there's a few who are going to move from "welfare" to super but the majority have worked long and hard by the time they get superannuation
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    You're preaching to the choir buddy. Having said that even adjusting for inflation Super recipients get back way more than they put in... what is that if not welfare?

    I can't tell you how many people I know who (especially in the first few years say age 65 to 70) are comfortably earning a couple hundy k a year and not ONE of them has ever said "Yeah, I wont be claiming the Super I dont need it". I know one guy who drove his fucking Rolls Royce to the WINZ office to sign up for it.

    It is unsustainable in the medium term, it is mostly about boomer greed, and yes I am arguing against self interest but: it needs to be means tested and it needs to have the age increased to 68 at least. REmember who is going to end up funding this shit - your kids.

    Of course as a country we had an opportunity in the 1970's to have a self funding scheme which (like Straya) could have been the backbone of future prosperity (like Straya) but that cunt Muldoon scuppered it in a fit of political pique. That fucker caused about as much damage as Pol Pot.
    "Welfare" was meant to be a safety net for those in dire need ..

    It started to become too expensive when too many people decided they were entitled to superannuation because they paid taxes all their lives ..

    Entitlement was NEVER part of the equation back in the first Labour Government. You were only "entitled" to it if you passed the means test ..

    back then retirement savings were tax free .. but that changed too ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

  14. #12524
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,847
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I realise you have a Vincent, but even a restorer such as yourself must see that every chopper, every NorVin or VinCati (my personal favourite) must increase the value of the remainder?

    I know a few hot rodders and they get similar reactions from the VCC as they are taking the angle grinder to a 34 Ford - more power to them IMO.
    i was just laughing that some thought they could wear out a tyre in an afternoon, on something with such low horses, it wasn't till the eighties that they actually needed to do a rear tyre change in the six hour races, and those were the very latest bikes that had a few more ponies and were on the race track.

    unless is was temporary kiwi on here, he could wear out a tyre just by looking it he's that good a rider.

    people who associate bikes with their dollar value as to their desirability are not motorcyclists in the true sense.

  15. #12525
    Join Date
    3rd October 2006 - 21:21
    Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Location
    in the hot sun
    Posts
    3,453
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i was just laughing that some thought they could wear out a tyre in an afternoon, on something with such low horses, it wasn't till the eighties that they actually needed to do a rear tyre change in the six hour races, and those were the very latest bikes that had a few more ponies and were on the race track.

    unless is was temporary kiwi on here, he could wear out a tyre just by looking it he's that good a rider.

    people who associate bikes with their dollar value as to their desirability are not motorcyclists in the true sense.
    Bogan racing? Burnouts and beer?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •