Thread: Psychology of road safety

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Psychology of road safety

For those who have too much time on their hands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campaign Effectiveness - Soames Job-R_FOR UPLOAD.pdf 
Views:	41 
Size:	778.5 KB 
ID:	354535

Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be.

Pete

Bike
    It was on the good
    I like the last bit. I do a presentation to year 12 and 13 students to show how their brain develops and why they are at risk, particularly if they are driving with passengers. Combine this with a few slides of crash scene photos to grab their attention. Seems to be well received.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i dont agree totally on some of their deductions. Racing and rally drivers have more accidents. That is almost certinly due to the fact that those indiviuals have a totally different risk perspective than normal people. You might find for example that people who bungy jump have more accidents than "normal"

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I like the last bit. I do a presentation to year 12 and 13 students to show how their brain develops and why they are at risk, particularly if they are driving with passengers. Combine this with a few slides of crash scene photos to grab their attention. Seems to be well received.
    Delivering knowledge misses the mark. Unless it relates to changing attitude. Our road use is a product of our attitude.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Delivering knowledge misses the mark. Unless it relates to changing attitude. Our road use is a product of our attitude.
    I would suggest that delivering knowledge to a new and young driver is absolutely critical to making them a safer driver.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    No mention is really made about the quality of training. Also it starts of with a belief that good infrastructure is the biggest thing.
    Sounds lot like the global propoganda agenda road to zero type thing that basically humans can’t be trusted to travel independently anywhere.
    I agree that targeted enforcement makes a huge difference.
    The real issue with awareness and safety messaging is the people in charge of spending that money often deliver the message in too fancy a way and not in a way that connects with the target audience. The only time they prob got close in nz was the ghost chips ad.

What really needs to happen is a glass corridor be built through the ICU ward at every hospital. At the end on that hallway will be the office where you get to collect your licence.

Ive been lucky during my career to have received training from some really great people and I can assure you it mattered in the outcome at various close calls. What really matters is taking ownership of the responsibility we have as a driver to ourselves and others. That’s what’s missing for many people they stop thinking once they passed the test.

As for the old vs young thing there’s a lot of obvious factors ignored there, eg the older new drivers will have gained experience just by being passengers and observing.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    suzuki
    i've just done a roadie up round the nakei and back to the hutt valley and a lot of people are atrocious with following distances. Why dont we see adverts on this, and indeed things like explaining to people why their indicators are twice as fast, defensive driving tips etc?
    The government seems to think speed and alcohol are the only things that ever hurt anyone on the roads?
    Right now following too close is worse than it used to be as there's a lot of surprise pot holes there too.....

Thread Information