Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Media reports the price of car reg going up.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Media reports the price of car reg going up.

Are we going to be hit with the xtra dollars to repair potholes?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    That and ending free school lunches for kids in low decile schools. Whatever it take to cut taxs for the rich.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    There was a rumour that RUC was going to apply to ALL vehicles

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully that's an across the board increase and not a proportion of what's already paid.

What, a government announcing policy changes they didn't campaign on?? How dare they! It's the end of democracy!! Fascists!!!

But seriously, filling in the potholes is probably a good idea. Building decent roads that don't get so many potholes in the first place would be a better idea. Is that something we simply can't afford anymore, or are the companies we pay to build the roads either incompetent or deliberately creating future work for themselves?
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    It more or less does - just for some it's rolled into the registration charge or the petrol taxes
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Hopefully that's an across the board increase and not a proportion of what's already paid.

What, a government announcing policy changes they didn't campaign on?? How dare they! It's the end of democracy!! Fascists!!!

But seriously, filling in the potholes is probably a good idea. Building decent roads that don't get so many potholes in the first place would be a better idea. Is that something we simply can't afford anymore, or are the companies we pay to build the roads either incompetent or deliberately creating future work for themselves?
    A decent rail system that gets the heavy freight off the roads wouldn't go amiss either, but the NactFirsts are ideologically committed to road over rail. And I'd agree that Fulton Hogan and the like dont want to fix the roads too well, otherwise, what do they do later
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Additional information that I came across on the Newshub site that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:

Code:
    This will increase the annual cost of Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) in 2026 by $50 for most vehicles, $28 for motorcycles, trailers and ATVs and $16.5 for mopeds
    Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    It is already a component of the price of petrol. Not in Diesel because of the wide variation in vehicle sizes (and therefore the damage caused to roads)
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    There was a Cabinet Minister on TV last week mentioned the government's austerity programme. He may have mentioned that prematurely 'cause nobody has mentioned it that I've seen since. They sure as Hell didn't trumpet an austerity programme during the election campaign. Though it was apparent that the noises Willis and Luxon were making were likely to cause a recession.

Looking on the bright side, when the recession hits we can laugh at the clowns who unwittingly voted for their own misery.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    It is already a component of the price of petrol. Not in Diesel because of the wide variation in vehicle sizes (and therefore the damage caused to roads)
    This was part of the announcement, but not for a few years. So no more fuel tax but all light vehicles will pay the same RUC.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Oh! I thought it was something to do with all the non-road-use of diesel (construction, farming, ...) and the difficulty of having different supplies of road-taxed and non-taxed diesel.

(I think in some countries they have dyes in the diesel so it can be checked the "right kind" (taxed or not) is being used.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    (I think in some countries they have dyes in the diesel so it can be checked the "right kind" (taxed or not) is being used.)
    That was done in NZ with petrol - aviation gas was a different colour - partly for safety partly for tax - not sure if it still applies
    =mjc=

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    That was done in NZ with petrol - aviation gas was a different colour - partly for safety partly for tax - not sure if it still applies
    My memory seems to suggest that in the dim distant past farm petrol may have been a different colour too?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Oh! I thought it was something to do with all the non-road-use of diesel (construction, farming, ...) and the difficulty of having different supplies of road-taxed and non-taxed diesel.
    That is how I understood it too. At one stage, the petrol used in boats was tax exempt as well, so it was not unknown for a boat on trailer to be filled up and then syphoned into the car once the boat was back home.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    This was part of the announcement, but not for a few years. So no more fuel tax but all light vehicles will pay the same RUC.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Hopefully they'll charge vehicles per wheel? I wouldn't put any money on this happening, I read an article saying they intend to do the charging electronically and we don't have a good track record with IT systems in this country – it'll end up costing four times as much, will take twice as long to deliver, and won't work as intended (if at all).

And what exactly would the benefit be over the existing excise tax, to make it worth making a simple system much more complicated? Isn't that why we can't have GST exemptions (unlike every other country in the world?)
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information