Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 805 of 807 FirstFirst ... 305705755795803804805806807 LastLast
Results 12,061 to 12,075 of 12096

Thread: Optimistic sellers

  1. #12061
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Pink Floyd would like a word.
    Oh don't get me wrong, that 60's England (well, specifically London) scene in the 60's was happening. I don't follow it but I have read about it principally in stuff to do with DAvid Bowie, who basically spent the whole of the 60's on the back foot trying different stuff till he finally broke big as a one hit wonder in 68 with Space Oddity... then had to wait five years for the next (Ziggy Stardust). And yes, that prog scene, of which Pink Floyd were part was very interesting and new. It seems dated and lame now but it was truly groundbreaking at the time.

    My personal preference from that era is the US underground out of New York - and the East Coast (Stooges, MC5 etc) but what I am really into is the Velvet Underground. Kinda sorta cut from the same cloth (bit proggy - 20 minute live version of Sister Ray anyone?) but well into the brutal slice of life ("Heroin" anyone? "waiting for the Man"?) not your hearts and flowers and stuff.

    The thing is we all think music peaked when we were age 14 to 25. What came before is boring old shit, what came after is just fucking noise.
    6 grand for 2 grands worth of fun. - F5 Dave

  2. #12062
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Popular music changes more often than my knickers do.
    Yeah but a once every ten year thing isn't something to be excited by.

    I've never seen that photo of Paul Simonon without the LONDON CALLING on it. Its great.
    6 grand for 2 grands worth of fun. - F5 Dave

  3. #12063
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    "chords" - just sayin'
    Chairs............



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  4. #12064
    Join Date
    3rd March 2008 - 11:55
    Bike
    0094473185
    Location
    Riding the evil flatlands
    Posts
    2,127
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    The thing is we all think music peaked when we were age 14 to 25. What came before is boring old shit, what came after is just fucking noise.
    Not entirely true.

    I am very much liking digging around 90's indie music at present, which is well out of my age range and usual area of interest, not to mention the occasional gem that my kids (who's music taste I've mostly polluted) turn up with. Then again, I'll listen to pretty much anything once, and a lot of new fringe music I'm quite happy to go back for another look.

    Pop music (and yes, that very much includes early beatles) is shit, has always been shit, will likely always be shit.

    Of course, I still have my default, and they've made me a whole radio station.....https://thegarage961.co.nz/
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

    Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

  5. #12065
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    My personal preference from that era is the US underground out of New York - and the East Coast (Stooges, MC5 etc) but what I am really into is the Velvet Underground. Kinda sorta cut from the same cloth (bit proggy - 20 minute live version of Sister Ray anyone?) but well into the brutal slice of life ("Heroin" anyone? "waiting for the Man"?) not your hearts and flowers and stuff.

    The thing is we all think music peaked when we were age 14 to 25. What came before is boring old shit, what came after is just fucking noise.
    You just fancied Nico...Watched the Stooges doco on Maori TV last night. Several LOL moments as you'd expect. MC5 featured too.
    When all that was happening, I had no space for music interests, all my spare cash went on racebikes.
    Reason is a tool - remember where you left it..... The late, great, John Clarke

  6. #12066
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,023
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    the beatles are overrated. All you pricks are old. Music started with the Sex Pistols.

    You must spread rep around .....

  7. #12067
    Join Date
    24th July 2006 - 11:53
    Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Location
    Wgtn
    Posts
    5,485
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    The thing is we all think music peaked when we were age 14 to 25. What came before is boring old shit, what came after is just fucking noise.
    I once had an elderly neighbor sharing my latest batch of limoncello, at home. It prompted comparisons to his own, actual cello, and from that it became apparent that he'd at one time been a very very good cellist, until age crippled him.

    A bit embarrassed, perhaps to be talking about himself, he asked me what I played on the piano in the corner. I denied any competence there whatsoever, pointing out that my music came from the far higher authority resident in the racks of CDs in the other corner.

    On his third limoncello he wanted to listen to some of it. I played him Sorrow, from A Momentary Lapse of Reason. He cried. I wanted to give him the CD, but he had nothing to play it on.

    So great music does transcend generations.

    PS: just to keep it on topic: https://www.gearnews.com/david-gilmo...s-black-strat/ Apparently $150k isn't optimistic at all....
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

  8. #12068
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,023
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks for the link. A generous man. Has he stopping playing publicly now?

  9. #12069
    Join Date
    24th July 2006 - 11:53
    Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Location
    Wgtn
    Posts
    5,485
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Thanks for the link. A generous man. Has he stopping playing publicly now?
    He's no as old as my neighbour was, and he was still only slightly less than his best a couple of years ago, but who knows?

    Last public sighting of that particular axe was here:

    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

  10. #12070
    Join Date
    7th September 2009 - 09:47
    Bike
    Yo momma
    Location
    Podunk USA
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I once had an elderly neighbor sharing my latest batch of limoncello, at home. It prompted comparisons to his own, actual cello, and from that it became apparent that he'd at one time been a very very good cellist, until age crippled him.

    A bit embarrassed, perhaps to be talking about himself, he asked me what I played on the piano in the corner. I denied any competence there whatsoever, pointing out that my music came from the far higher authority resident in the racks of CDs in the other corner.

    On his third limoncello he wanted to listen to some of it. I played him Sorrow, from A Momentary Lapse of Reason. He cried. I wanted to give him the CD, but he had nothing to play it on.

    So great music does transcend generations.

    PS: just to keep it on topic: https://www.gearnews.com/david-gilmo...s-black-strat/ Apparently $150k isn't optimistic at all....
    Anyone wanna go shares in it ?
    ..................

  11. #12071
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    The thing is we all think music peaked when we were age 14 to 25. What came before is boring old shit, what came after is just fucking noise.
    I'm lucky enough to work with yoof and even luckier that they share their musical tastes with me. Well, sometimes I feel lucky.

    Their is some brilliant music out there, I just struggle to recall the name of the bands.....
    Manopausal.

  12. #12072
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I'm lucky enough to work with yoof and even luckier that they share their musical tastes with me. Well, sometimes I feel lucky.

    Their is some brilliant music out there, I just struggle to recall the name of the bands.....
    Yes, similar.... I always try and give new stuff a go. I have really liked St Vincent, Silversun Pickups and Courtney Barnett. Not so much Bloc Party. Early Unknown Mortal Orchestra is good but I dont like their latest.
    6 grand for 2 grands worth of fun. - F5 Dave

  13. #12073
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,023
    Blog Entries
    8
    Carrying on with the music theme is this cooler than ....

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...2057670938.htm

  14. #12074
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,634
    . . . . " I understand replacement tuners, whammy bar and a case are available from "BFG's guitars" if needed."
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  15. #12075
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    9,595
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Carrying on with the music theme is this cooler than ....

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...2057670938.htm
    Surely it isnt solid fiberglass? and only 80+KG's? if solid it would be 300KGs?
    bloody impressive though



    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •