Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Darksided their cruiser?

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    You first.....
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    I'd be keen to give it a go if it didn't compromise safety, law etc if it ment we could go longer than three-four months on a rear tyre.
    Seriously? 3-4 months on a tyre? Car tyre on a bike?

fuck me

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Saw a guy on a rocket III at Hampton with a car tire on the rear as I was leaving, I watched him corner from behind and he leaned it over just fine, had plenty of contact patch the entire lean and it never looked jerky or unnatural. That was just watching him turning through the pits leaving.

I wouldn't trust scraping every corner with a car tire on. But for touring and every day riding, on a big bike, it obviously works.

Bike
    2 smokers
    Excellent idea.
    In fact I would go all terrain , just love how those A/T tyres hum down the road . Adventure cruiser.

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    I bought a spare rear rim for my GL1800. It came with a Pirelli run flat.
    I threw it on and rode it. Transitioning is longer.
    Leans over fine but there is more rider input as it didn't tip in the same.
    Wet road grip was outstanding. Sadly that tyre is no longer available.
    I started following an experienced rider on a HD cruiser over the track from Palmy to the Tui brewery.
    That is I followed him for the first couple on corners. While I don't ride that fast in a straight line I don't like to slow down too much on the corners.
    He said later he tried to follow me but there was only clear road after 3 corners.
    That tire is now stuffed. I have a Metz on there at present and that will be stuffed after a tour I am about to do.
    Im thinking on trying a zero pressure Khumo next.

The c/t option is great for slab riding, however if you don't mind a bit more rider input they are also great in the twisties and the wet.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I ran a car tyre once on the back of the 98 V8 bike in the US, for about 1300 miles. It was excellent in terms of wear, traction and comfort for highway touring. But I did not like the way it changed the handling when going slower - especially over curbs, in and out of gas stations, and especially when the roads were covered in 'tar snakes'. I changed it back with about 2/3 of the tread still good.

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    What the fuck do they put in that New Plymouth water?
    ...lippy fuckers who havn't had enough coffee!

And my Brother is right...car tyres on heavy cruisers are a perfectly legal and valid option.
    Mate at work has the 1800 vulcan, is also a big bugger, does alot of k's two up and dosn't brake for corners either lol...he swears he will never use anything else! (Due to cost vs wear rate etc), and his best mate has the 2ltr vulcan...does the same thing!

Only tip he gave....use car tyres with a more rounded edge and play around with the pressure to suit...he's never had any problems in years of doing this, and has saved a shed load of money in the process.

...so if its safe, and saves ya money...why not give it a try.

ps...photos of the new ride please brother (ya cruiser riding....lol)

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    I should have mentioned I wouldn't consider a run of the mill tyre, but look at the zero pressure run flat ones.
    They have extremely tougher/ thicker sidewalls.
    I ran mine at 43psi.

I have in the past changed all my own tyres but these need a machines due to the sidewalls.
    I take mine to a car tyre dealer and get them to mount it on the rim.

Then bring it home and balance it on my static balancer prior to to fitting.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    ...lippy fuckers who havn't had enough coffee!

And my Brother is right...car tyres on heavy cruisers are a perfectly legal and valid option.
    Mate at work has the 1800 vulcan, is also a big bugger, does alot of k's two up and dosn't brake for corners either lol...he swears he will never use anything else! (Due to cost vs wear rate etc), and his best mate has the 2ltr vulcan...does the same thing!

Only tip he gave....use car tyres with a more rounded edge and play around with the pressure to suit...he's never had any problems in years of doing this, and has saved a shed load of money in the process.

...so if its safe, and saves ya money...why not give it a try.

ps...photos of the new ride please brother (ya cruiser riding....lol)
    Hey Bro, how's it goin on the bumpy roads of Chch, the place is starting to look good eh. Like the VFR too, love those machines and those magic v4 engines, they howl their heads off.

Cheers for the tyre info too, appreciated. Hard to get past the chaff to get good info eh, had a few darn good buggers provide some good info and have to say hugely appreciative of it. The cost of tyres is diabolical for the cruiser only made worse by the level of abuse I give em. Spending well in excess of a grand a year based on current levels of tyre abuse, hence the thread.

Pictures, yeah must figure out to put pic's up on this fiddley to use forum set up? Gone are the big sport tourers, on to our second cruiser now. 1st was a heavily modded vl 1500 that ate most things on the road but only had a piddling fuel range of 160kms before ya ended up having to push. The Kawaka V2K is an absolute sledgehammer, love it. Once again sporting a chite load of accessories and some minor tweaking to improve things .

Cheers again for the info, take care eh.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo NZ View Post
    I bought a spare rear rim for my GL1800. It came with a Pirelli run flat.
    I threw it on and rode it. Transitioning is longer.
    Leans over fine but there is more rider input as it didn't tip in the same.
    Wet road grip was outstanding. Sadly that tyre is no longer available.
    I started following an experienced rider on a HD cruiser over the track from Palmy to the Tui brewery.
    That is I followed him for the first couple on corners. While I don't ride that fast in a straight line I don't like to slow down too much on the corners.
    He said later he tried to follow me but there was only clear road after 3 corners.
    That tire is now stuffed. I have a Metz on there at present and that will be stuffed after a tour I am about to do.
    Im thinking on trying a zero pressure Khumo next.

The c/t option is great for slab riding, however if you don't mind a bit more rider input they are also great in the twisties and the wet.

Mo NZ
    I should have mentioned I wouldn't consider a run of the mill tyre, but look at the zero pressure run flat ones.
    They have extremely tougher/ thicker sidewalls.
    I ran mine at 43psi.

I have in the past changed all my own tyres but these need a machines due to the sidewalls.
    I take mine to a car tyre dealer and get them to mount it on the rim.

Then bring it home and balance it on my static balancer prior to to fitting.
    Cheers for the Info Mo. Yep not afraid of a bit more input, being we typically punt along two up, weight and length the bike requires a fair bit of rider input and encouragment to corner adequately. The use of run flats makes sound sense, thanks for that, I'll add it to the list. Cheers eh.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    For the uninitiated or people wanting to know/see more about what the feck I'm talking about, a couple of vid's from you know where. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_d5IIdRZI

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    A squared off bike tyres makes a bike handle like shite. I can only imagine how a square profile tyre feels not to mention the compound being harder. Is there a reason other than saving money for doing it?
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Depends on the ride.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Can only imagine how your insurance company is going to respond if you bin it.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Can only imagine how your insurance company is going to respond if you bin it.
    Yep good point, will check up with them on this point., Cheers for that.

Thread Information