Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Darksided their cruiser?

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Anyone Darksided their cruiser?

Our big Kawasaki V2k is ready for yet another tyre after another mere 5.5k Km's, it's shot. Being this monster runs on 200/60-R16 typically running to around $450 pluse fit bal etc, I typically don't get change out of $500. We typically ride our behemouth two up so the bike is usually punting around 580Kgs down the road. Typically the front tyre gets it's side regions of tread worn out first before wearing out the (usual) centre of treadand usually get 10k Km's at the most. Rear tyre is usually well and truely thrashed, bashed and trashed side to side evenly across the tyre usually by 5.5k Km.

Been reading the the good ole 'US of A' forums on people fitting car tyres (typically referred to as 'dark Siding') to their rides. Has anyone done this mod here??? Heck, is it even allowed or WOF-able here??? I'd be keen to give it a go if it didn't compromise safety, law etc if it ment we could go longer than three-four months on a rear tyre.

Any comments would be great. Cheers all

Bike
    NC30s
    I dunno man, do you ever need to turn corners on your cruiser? Sounds like a pretty dicey setup to me..

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    this discussion has been had on here before.
    Ive heard of it, but sure as hell wouldn't do it.
    bike tyres are designed to have a curved carcass tor turning, car tyres are designed to have a square profile = not ideal for leaning.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post
    I dunno man, do you ever need to turn corners on your cruiser? Sounds like a pretty dicey setup to me..
    Yeeeep, hard case freakin the the odd biker out seeing a massive fully kitted, cruiser with thundering pipes ridden two up bearing down on them in their mirrors, all whilst dragging everything creating a decent shower of sparks. All part of the fun of punting near on 600Kgs of 2 litre cruiser, just murder on tyres though eh.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post
    Yeeeep, hard case freakin the the odd biker out seeing a massive fully kitted, cruiser with thundering pipes ridden two up bearing down on them in their mirrors, all whilst dragging everything creating a decent shower of sparks. All part of the fun of punting near on 600Kgs of 2 litre cruiser, just murder on tyres though eh.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    Our big Kawasaki V2k is ready for yet another tyre after another mere 5.5k Km's, it's shot. Being this monster runs on 200/60-R16 typically running to around $450 pluse fit bal etc, I typically don't get change out of $500. We typically ride our behemouth two up so the bike is usually punting around 580Kgs down the road. Typically the front tyre gets destroyed side walls first before wearing out the centre and usually get 10k Km's at the most. Rear tyre is usually well and truely thrashed, bashed and trashed side to side evenly across the tyre usually by 5.5k Km.

Been reading the the good ole 'US of A' forums on people fitting car tyres (typically referred to as 'dark Siding') to their rides. Has anyone done this mod here??? Heck, is it even allowed or WOF-able here??? I'd be keen to give it a go it it didn't compromise safety, law etc if it ment we could go longer than three-four months on a rear tyre.

Any comments would be great. Cheers all

Heres a link to what I'm yackin about.............. http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding.
    How do you manage to destroy the side walls on your front tyres? Do you even know what the side wall is?

The rest of your post doesn't even warrant a response.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    How do you manage to destroy the side walls on your front tyres? Do you even know what the side wall is?

The rest of your post doesn't even warrant a response.
    Sorry, should have stated clearer, not side walls, in fact side regions of tread, as opposed to usual central wear on tread. Haver edited my post to clarifiy. Side wear caused due to using alot of opposite lock steer when cornering. Intention of the post is to gather information, note the reference about safety and legal. Cheers

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    What the fuck do they put in that New Plymouth water?

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    What the fuck do they put in that New Plymouth water?
    Not sure, don't live there, lol.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Intention of the post is to gather information, note the reference about safety and legal. Cheers
    Ok, the idea of putting a car tyre on your bike is fucking retarded.

You're welcome.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Ok, the idea of putting a car tyre on your bike is fucking retarded.

You're welcome.
    Have to admit, it's an odd practice to do. Having read a fair bit from various forums seems to be commom practice in other country's. Thought us kiwis would know a bit about this process, or if even done down here?

Bit like the use of dyna beads, common practice elsewhere, but largely unknown down here, even most bike shops I've dealt with have to think about what they are and do. Cheers

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Have to admit, it's an odd practice to do.
    Americans are well known for their retarded opinions.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Lol true (Sometimes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    On dead straight roads its probably fine - what happens if you tip over the "corner" of the tyre on a tight slippery adverse camber - are you willing to try and find out with your pillion? Just get some hard wearing touring tyres. The cost of tyres is less than your fuel costs/mile. I don΄t get the reasoning unless you live in the Midwest and can spend 8 hours riding with the bike bolt upright.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    On dead straight roads its probably fine - what happens if you tip over the "corner" of the tyre on a tight slippery adverse camber -
    Fuck all, probably just ride around the corner like he normally would, car tyres have a lot more flex in them than you'd think
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information