Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What scooter to buy?

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    The whole "unstability on small wheels" thing is a bit of a myth to me. Bro, 14" wheels are fine at 80kmph, Christ, my 180cc Gilera has 13" wheels and that'll do 140kmph. I've ridden it everywhere, city streets, highways, gravel and 4wd tracks. Ride accordingling, and no problems with stability. Plenty of big bike riders on "normal" wheels are shit scared of gravel because bike feels "unstable". Learn to ride I say, confidence is the key.
    The Aprilia's are shod with 120/70-14 tyres front and rear, so same profile as road bike, but smaller rim diameter. No bumps in the road have ever upset the scoot any more than standard road bike with 17" front, they just turn quicker. Good fun in the twisties.
    Any real bump, pot holes, tar snakes etc big enough to upset the wheels on a scooter will happen on any bike, not just a scoot, so ride to the conditons and read the road.
    Oh yeah and OP is from Nelson, not huge amounts of motorway networks to worry about commuting down here
    Hahaha. Try that shit on skinny little 10' wheels, you'll find things get pretty shaky after 80 k's. Gets much worse when off the clock down hill. Not scared of gravel either, yeah I'm cautious on it, still doesn't stop me from riding on it. Confidence is growing, still on my L's, so yeah I'm still learning its the point though right? Got to start somewhere. No one jumps on and starts riding like Rossi after a few months and if you can well then, beers for you.

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Yeah, I guess you got a point there FZR250, some of the smaller scoots on the skinny 10" biscuit wheels might have issues on lumpy roads or gravel.
    No, I dont' ride like Rossi, would love to, but the body and pocket would suffer eventually, crashing is gonna hurt one of them at least. Have been riding for 30 years though, dirt bike riding really helps with improving bike handling skills and gaining confidence riding all types of surface.

And to Gazmac, good on ya for sticking to your guns, everyone has reasons for what they want to ride, other family members needs often plays a part. Ain't nuthin like a scoot for commuting in Nelson. Cheap running costs, good weather, short travel distances, and you can chuck yer lunchbox under the seat. Just watch out for those fuckers in cages that don't indicate at intersections.

Now go out and buy that Aprilia.

Bike
    None
    Apillia looks good.

Cheers guys.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by gazmac View Post
    Apillia looks good.

Cheers guys.
    Here's the best 50cc you can buy.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-692529451.htm

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    RS125
    If you like the aprilia, I would be checking here in 2 days time

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/redalert

Depending on price i might be tempted myself haha

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    This. You'll never regret it.

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by helbnd View Post
    If you like the aprilia, I would be checking here in 2 days time

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/redalert

Depending on price i might be tempted myself haha
    They did a similar 'one day deal' last year on the Piaggio Zip 50 2T and sold a LOT compared with the usual monthly total. The Aprilia SR MT 50 scooter (Piaggio Typhoon in drag) is an excellent, high quality scooter with a very reliable TWO STROKE engine easily derestricted by removing a spacer in the variator. Yes there's also a dead end pipe on the muffler but taking the spacer out gets 65 k which is plenty for the city.

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    One Day Sale on now. $2599 including 6 months ORC for an Aprilia SR MT 50. And for the Jog fanboys, yes they're a good scooter but you can't buy a new one anymore. It's been replaced by the Bee Wee 50f.

Bike
    None
    Hi,

In the end I bought a Yamaha, which according to the paperwork is a YW 50 FE.

Its good fun.

Cheers for the help.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Its good fun.

Cheers for the help.
    Is it the new 50 with the 3 valve 4 stroke motor? If it is the 50cc version of my YW100, they are good scooters.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    Hi,

Its good fun.

Cheers for the help.
    Could you give us some feedback on your new scooter?

What's the top speed?

Acceleration?

Is it restricted? Easy to derestrict?

Can you fit a full face helmet under the seat?

Vibration and engine noise?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Is it the new 50 with the 3 valve 4 stroke motor? If it is the 50cc version of my YW100, they are good scooters.
    Yes it is.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipper2T View Post
    Could you give us some feedback on your new scooter?

What's the top speed?

Acceleration?

Is it restricted? Easy to derestrict?

Can you fit a full face helmet under the seat?

Vibration and engine noise?
    It does over 60kmph not really had it opened up fully yet.

It appears to accelerate pretty well on the flat, did get a bit sluggish going up a hill but maintained a set speed

It came unrestricted - no idea how to derestrict

The full face helmet i have does fit underneath but I really had to force it - so its not fantastic
    I also noticed that in order to open it up again with the helmet in I had to put downward pressure on the seat - so again not fantastic.

I havent noticed any vibrations - but I have nothing to compare it too.

Its quite quiet, more than I was expecting

I quite like it and enjoy riding the thing, preferred it over the Apillia when seeing them side by side, a bit overbudget at $3400 all up. I definately could have got something cheaper but hey, thats life.

Hope this helps

Cheers

G

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    You will find that if you dont try to wring its neck from new, give the motor time to bed in, that the performance will improve once 3-4000k are up. I have done 13,000 on mine in 12 months, alot of gravel and nothing has broken or come loose. $3400 is a lot for a fifty, but less than a Vespa 50. At least you are not looking at $414 per year for rego.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    None
    Might take me a while together up to 4000ks, but yeah I'll try and rake it easy, mainly for commuting to work so not really going to cover lots of is.

Agree, did pay top dollar, about 900 more than I really wanted but it's done now. Impulsive perhaps.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ta

G

Thread Information